Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 13, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #14,206 of 40,594
Have you tried a seal test to check that they are fitting as they should? Surprised to hear about driver flex. Thought that was more to do with universals

How do you perform a seal test???

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #14,209 of 40,594
I believe there are tracks out there that help you do it. Try googling IEM seal test and see what comes up.

I rub together my forefinger and thumb, right next to my ear. If I can hear the friction, the seal is not good enough.

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #14,210 of 40,594
Express probably means more chance of taxes at the other end.
Well for me FedEx no matter express or not is 100% chance of getting taxed
Well this time I dare say RNGesus was on my side for once. At the time I'm writing this, I've still never received a word from FedEx about any customs taxes handling fees of any kind. And I was expecting I'd be impacted by a 4xx euros. On my other prior FedEx shippings, they usually hold the item prior to delivery at their Belgian facility while waiting for payment of the customs/tax handling fees and release after receiving confirmation of transfer.
The subcontractor that did the home delivery just handed me the holy grail box and asked for a signature and nothing else.

That's only because it ships with FedEx economy, which was kind of a suprise, I would have liked an option to get express
Well FedEx picked mine up on Friday, and it was at my doorstep Wednesday morning, so 5 days including the weekend, that's pretty awesome, oh and did I mention no fees? >:-]]

If you try to press them against your ears, do you get an increased bass?

https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
great site to test your gear or this one for see how low or high they go, or to notice spikes and dips
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html

About the isolation, I noticed my Legend X isolates a bit less than my Zeus ciems, but more so than my IMR R1. I actually like this level of isolation, makes it easier to communicate without taking them off.
As for the driver flex, in my case, it's the cutest of tiny sounds and I dare say soothing too. Driver flex with IMR R1 has a much more loud pop. And I only hear driver flex on the Legend X when I plug em or remove them, never when I do any jaw and ear motions. So driver flex for me is a non-factor.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #14,212 of 40,594
I believe there are tracks out there that help you do it. Try googling IEM seal test and see what comes up.

I rub together my forefinger and thumb, right next to my ear. If I can hear the friction, the seal is not good enough.

Well this time I dare say RNGesus was on my side for once. At the time I'm writing this, I've still never received a word from FedEx about any customs taxes handling fees of any kind. And I was expecting I'd be impacted by a 4xx euros. On my other prior FedEx shippings, they usually hold the item prior to delivery at their Belgian facility while waiting for payment of the customs/tax handling fees and release after receiving confirmation of transfer.
The subcontractor that did the home delivery just handed me the holy grail box and asked for a signature and nothing else.

Well FedEx picked mine up on Friday, and it was at my doorstep Wednesday morning, so 5 days including the weekend, that's pretty awesome, oh and did I mention no fees? >:-]]

If you try to press them against your ears, do you get an increased bass?

https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
great site to test your gear or this one for see how low or high they go, or to notice spikes and dips
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html

Thanks for all the expert advise! Will try it tonight :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #14,213 of 40,594

Well you throw a live fish up in the air and if your friend jumps to catch it, he is indeed a seal.

0YKFHVy.gif

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #14,215 of 40,594
I find customs go deeper but actually provide less seal and in some cases the bit inside, especially acrylic is the discomfort cause, that feeling of fulness in the ear is nothing particularly pleasant in my book, the uni with the right tip will seal better logically as it physically leaves no air

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #14,216 of 40,594
I find customs go deeper but actually provide less seal and in some cases the bit inside, especially acrylic is the discomfort cause, that feeling of fulness in the ear is nothing particularly pleasant in my book, the uni with the right tip will seal better logically as it physically leaves no air
I strongly disagree with this. While I don't have customs at the moment, I never had anything more comfortable or with a better seal. They also don't tend to push themselves out the way universals do. If by the right tip, you mean foam, it's close if everything works out but they are often not the best sounding. For me, I could wear my customs all day without fatigue or adjusting them and could never do that with any universal. Grado GR10 was the closest as they lock in without a deep flange insertion but a shallow single flange never isolated as well either. I'm not a fan of Comply sound with the phones I've tried them but do like Shure olives when appropriate. Dual and triple flanges always wear on me after a while. We're all different and maybe your ear required deeper insertion than mine did but your situation certainly wasn't the case for me or others I've discussed this with.

I find the lack of seal part of your statement truly baffling, especially if they give you a 'full' feeling. I know you have several and I suspect you've done a few mold impressions so I doubt they can all be ill fitting. Nothing's for everyone and unfortunately, I suspect you are the odd man out here and not the norm.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #14,217 of 40,594

In that case, it's very possible that your customs weren't perfectly made. I've never had a custom feel more full in the ear than any universal ear tip. In fact, my main gripe with ear tips is the constant pressure they exert in the ear. For your customs, where did you get your impressions made and did you use a bite block?

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #14,218 of 40,594
If the canal doesn’t seal cause of bad fit. Might be worth it to try comply wraps

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #14,219 of 40,594
Guys, I'm new here. I own a pair of Noble Savant's in IEM mode and Phantom's in CIEM mode. It's not even close. I can't wear the Nobles anymore. the CIEM's are so much easier, sound best as I can get a true seal. I have yet to find a pair of tips that I like. All of them are annoying for my ears. I have to say that I was worried to death that I couldn't get teh CIEM's to fit properly, especially without having to send them back. I heard all the horror stories about fit and to my amazement they fit perfectly from teh moment I put them in. I didn't want to take them out, lol.

It's so simple for me to get a seal. I won't want to sell them, so for me, it's perfect. JMHO.

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #14,220 of 40,594
+1 for CIEM fit , ever since i bought my first custom 2 years ago , i sold all my uiems and have been buying only customs ever since

no comparison whatsoever , the ciem fit is magical/addictive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back