Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 14, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #14,222 of 40,541
I strongly disagree with this. While I don't have customs at the moment, I never had anything more comfortable or with a better seal. They also don't tend to push themselves out the way universals do. If by the right tip, you mean foam, it's close if everything works out but they are often not the best sounding. For me, I could wear my customs all day without fatigue or adjusting them and could never do that with any universal. Grado GR10 was the closest as they lock in without a deep flange insertion but a shallow single flange never isolated as well either. I'm not a fan of Comply sound with the phones I've tried them but do like Shure olives when appropriate. Dual and triple flanges always wear on me after a while. We're all different and maybe your ear required deeper insertion than mine did but your situation certainly wasn't the case for me or others I've discussed this with.

I find the lack of seal part of your statement truly baffling, especially if they give you a 'full' feeling. I know you have several and I suspect you've done a few mold impressions so I doubt they can all be ill fitting. Nothing's for everyone and unfortunately, I suspect you are the odd man out here and not the norm.

No the opposite, my ear doesn't need a deep insertion and in my experience the main difference is the distance to ear drum.
The fact EE and others charges the same for ciems and unis speaks for itself.
Ciems were not invented for people like us i guess and weren't conceived with benefit if sound reproduction, nor were there such advanced iems and tips at the time.
Anyway, discussion is a but pointless because its totally personal.
The only reason i allow myself to comment is the thousands spent on this experience :ksc75smile:

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #14,223 of 40,541
In that case, it's very possible that your customs weren't perfectly made. I've never had a custom feel more full in the ear than any universal ear tip. In fact, my main gripe with ear tips is the constant pressure they exert in the ear. For your customs, where did you get your impressions made and did you use a bite block?

Harley street, i think i did like 4 there.
Acs took it at a show another time.
Just not for me thats all, no sound benefits just more chamber.
Also, usability wise, unis are much more practical

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #14,224 of 40,541
For me, universals don't even come close. Not even in the same ballpark. Once I put some customs in my ears it's goodbye world. My phone could be ringing or the alarm going off and I won't be in the least bit aware of it. And that's when listening to music at low to moderate volume.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #14,225 of 40,541
No the opposite, my ear doesn't need a deep insertion and in my experience the main difference is the distance to ear drum.
The fact EE and others charges the same for ciems and unis speaks for itself.
Ciems were not invented for people like us i guess and weren't conceived with benefit if sound reproduction, nor were there such advanced iems and tips at the time.
Anyway, discussion is a but pointless because its totally personal.
The only reason i allow myself to comment is the thousands spent on this experience :ksc75smile:
I've never heard a completely neutral tip. Close but in the end, it can also be tuning aid so there's that as well.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #14,226 of 40,541
I see you got it up for sale. Other than attention what are you seeking?

Hopefully EE and team won't reshell lol

now now , be good

here , one more amazing 90s house mix by the masters - all 3-cds in one YT link , great stuff (if a bit outdated here and there)

also want @flinkenick to check it out , i think this should sound the bomb in something like a Legend

enjoy and keep on tripping (without drugs ofc, music is more than enough)

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #14,227 of 40,541
Jun 14, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #14,229 of 40,541
This sound like the one of the hearing test to check if the nerves are still intact...?!

You can try and remove the nerves and observe the change, but I suggest using this test simply for IEM seal.

71kFsnQHvwL._SY355_.jpg

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #14,230 of 40,541
DC36034E-547F-4A4F-A102-7BF28C065DD9.jpeg

My Chord Mojo arrived today.

Bravado + Mojo = <3

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #14,231 of 40,541
Okay so after some tests I’ve decided that my custom seal is great, I did happen to get more isolation with universals but that’s not to take away from the isolation I get now. So I’ll move on from that.

Now I’m eyeing up one of those Janus cables to replace my Leo with. :)

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #14,232 of 40,541
That's only because it ships with FedEx economy, which was kind of a suprise, I would have liked an option to get express

I asked them to express mine and i think it was about $25 more

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #14,233 of 40,541
I believe this is the case that comes with the Campfire Andromeda (I bought the case separately).

39B20185-491A-4D59-B91B-ACAD090706AE.jpeg

E9BC5126-E924-43F2-BDAB-F951E18311ED.jpeg

I use it to put my Bravado in. EE should make a similar size case in the future :wink:

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #14,234 of 40,541
Based on Wyville's review, I got myself an Ares ll 8-wire Bespoke cable for my Zeus. What a difference four extra wires make. Besides being a beautiful cable (my wife, who makes jewelry, even commented on, it and she is generally immune to the beauty of my audio equipment), the sound is at a more sophisticated level then is the 4-wire. As Wyville mentioned: space. Lots and lots of space. Everything has more room within the sound stage. Clarity is improved, as I'm hearing lots of (new) nuances in music I am intimately already aware of. Resonance in each note (each note sounds somehow fuller, wider, more able to happily interact with every other note) may be responsible for the improvement in sound. It's LIKE the 4-wire, in that it is not colored, and it retains transparency and the ability to handle everything in the music without bringing extra to the party. It seems to have a bit more bass and a sense of stronger lower mids, more richness, than does the 4-wire. It really made my Zeus a fuller-sounding IEM, without sacrificing mids and upper registers or muddying up the lower end. Trebles are still lovely, vocals are right where I want them. When I had the Phantom, what concerned me was that vocals were a bit laid back, treble was less apparent, and there was a sense of heaviness (compared to the Zeus) in all areas (often in vocals, which really bothered me). I like a lighter sound, and have been very happy with the Zeus, even though some of my music could use a bit more oomph. This cable brings enough oomph to satisfy my needs. It takes away a slight bit of the lightness and finesse that the 4-wire gives (with the SP1000 Stainless Steel, which is somewhat analytical), but makes up for it with a beautifully rich sound which is still very transparent indeed. Wyvelle demo'ed it with the Phantom and seemed very happy with the results of that pairing. It's (only) $300, which is not much for a custom-made cable. I ordered it Monday night and got it today (Friday) in mid-afternoon. I did pay for the rush shipping ($50.00), but as I hate waiting it seemed a small price to pay. I used the Zeus in XlV mode, with Symbio tips. The cable has a 2.5 termination so it runs on the Astell in balanced mode. Did I mention the cable is beautiful? I walked my normal two miles with it and had no problems with its weight. And no microphonics as I walked. Then I spent two hours on the couch with it trying various songs and albums. If you like the Ares ll that your EE IEM came with, the 8-wire is a good upgrade. No regrets or buyer's remorse here.

Edit: 26 awg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #14,235 of 40,541
Based on Wyville's review, I got myself an Ares ll 8-wire Bespoke cable for my Zeus. What a difference four extra wires make. Besides being a beautiful cable (my wife, who makes jewelry, even commented on, it and she is generally immune to the beauty of my audio equipment), the sound is at a more sophisticated level then is the 4-wire. As Wyville mentioned: space. Lots and lots of space. Everything has more room within the sound stage. Clarity is improved, as I'm hearing lots of (new) nuances in music I am intimately already aware of. Resonance in each note (each note sounds somehow fuller, wider, more able to happily interact with every other note) may be responsible for the improvement in sound. It's LIKE the 4-wire, in that it is not colored, and it retains transparency and the ability to handle everything in the music without bringing extra to the party. It seems to have a bit more bass and a sense of stronger lower mids, more richness, than does the 4-wire. It really made my Zeus a fuller-sounding IEM, without sacrificing mids and upper registers or muddying up the lower end. Trebles are still lovely, vocals are right where I want them. When I had the Phantom, what concerned me was that vocals were a bit laid back, treble was less apparent, and there was a sense of heaviness (compared to the Zeus) in all areas (often in vocals, which really bothered me). I like a lighter sound, and have been very happy with the Zeus, even though some of my music could use a bit more oomph. This cable brings enough oomph to satisfy my needs. It takes away a slight bit of the lightness and finesse that the 4-wire gives (with the SP1000 Stainless Steel, which is somewhat analytical), but makes up for it with a beautifully rich sound which is still very transparent indeed. Wyvelle demo'ed it with the Phantom and seemed very happy with the results of that pairing. It's (only) $300, which is not much for a custom-made cable. I ordered it Monday night and got it today (Friday) in mid-afternoon. I did pay for the rush shipping ($50.00), but as I hate waiting it seemed a small price to pay. I used the Zeus in XlV mode, with Symbio tips. The cable has a 2.5 termination so it runs on the Astell in balanced mode. Did I mention the cable is beautiful? I walked my normal two miles with it and had no problems with its weight. And no microphonics as I walked. Then I spent two hours on the couch with it trying various songs and albums. If you like the Ares ll that your EE IEM came with, the 8-wire is a good upgrade. No regrets or buyer's remorse here.

Edit: 26 awg

I too am a devotee of the power of 8-wires. The Thor II Bespoke skyrocketed to become the best cable I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back