Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 13, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #14,177 of 40,613
Jun 13, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #14,179 of 40,613
Oh that's harsh man! :) Suppose that that's one more reason to favour universal if you don't have fit issues with them.

Exactly.
Waiting for my custom Phantoms. hope they fit perfectly.... fingers crossed.

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #14,181 of 40,613
My custom Vantage is the best fit I have ever had, just saying :wink:

Good to know! :) This damn waiting times are killer. Waiting for my custom Phantom, waiting for my bespoke Thor Silver II, waiting for my wife.... sometimes i think the true meaning of life is to bring waiting to perfection.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #14,183 of 40,613
+ 1 week for shipping when you are in Europe :D

That's only because it ships with FedEx economy, which was kind of a suprise, I would have liked an option to get express

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #14,184 of 40,613
How much isolation should I be expecting from my customs? I get decent isolation but universals for me definitely blocked out more noise. Should I be worried about that?

The fit themselves is great. No discomfort or anything like that and I hear the driver flex in both CIEMs when I insert them

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #14,187 of 40,613
How much isolation should I be expecting from my customs? I get decent isolation but universals for me definitely blocked out more noise. Should I be worried about that?

The fit themselves is great. No discomfort or anything like that and I hear the driver flex in both CIEMs when I insert them

Have you tried a seal test to check that they are fitting as they should? Surprised to hear about driver flex. Thought that was more to do with universals?

On the isolation side I've heard (ha!) mixed things about it in regards to ciems. Some say it's fantastic, whilst others like you say universals are better. One of the main reasons I got into the custom side of iems was the promise of better isolation so a little confused as to what's going on?

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #14,189 of 40,613
Have you tried a seal test to check that they are fitting as they should? Surprised to hear about driver flex. Thought that was more to do with universals?

On the isolation side I've heard (ha!) mixed things about it in regards to ciems. Some say it's fantastic, whilst others like you say universals are better. One of the main reasons I got into the custom side of iems was the promise of better isolation so a little confused as to what's going on?

I will try a seal test. Comfort wise my customs are incredible but the universals for me definitely isolated more. Any universals for that matter. Maybe it’s just my ears ?

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #14,190 of 40,613

Sometimes, “isolation” is actually your hearing sensitivity lowering due to the physical pressure coming from ear tips. A custom IEM with an equal distribution of pressure will probably have an equal or higher level of isolation, but your hearing will be more acute, so it evens out. Filled CIEMs (whether acrylic or silicone) will generally isolate more than non-filled ones. Your Legend X also has vent holes for the DD, so that’s something worth keeping in mind.

Driver flex occurs in both universals and customs. It occurs when the pressure changes in a DD-equipped IEM as they achieve a full seal within the canal. This pressure change vibrates the dynamic driver, then it ‘pops’ back into place as pressure equalises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back