Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 13, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #14,191 of 40,579
Sometimes, “isolation” is actually your hearing sensitivity lowering due to the physical pressure coming from ear tips. A custom IEM with an equal distribution of pressure will probably have an equal or higher level of isolation, but your hearing will be more acute, so it evens out. Filled CIEMs (whether acrylic or silicone) will generally isolate more than non-filled ones. Your Legend X also has vent holes for the DD, so that’s something worth keeping in mind.

Driver flex occurs in both universals and customs. It occurs when the pressure changes in a DD-equipped IEM as they achieve a full seal within the canal. This pressure change vibrates the dynamic driver, then it ‘pops’ back into place as pressure equalises.

So the reason I’m assuming I’m getting worse isolation is for an example like this... same level on my DAP for universals and customs, same environment... I can hear my dog barking downstairs at level 70 w CIEMs but with universals I couldn’t. I know it’s not the best test or example but it’s a real life situation that I experience every day so I was thinking that was a good indicator my isolation was worse w my CIEMs. I can also hear my oscillating fan in my room w the CIEMs.

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #14,192 of 40,579
So the reason I’m assuming I’m getting worse isolation is for an example like this... same level on my DAP for universals and customs, same environment... I can hear my dog barking downstairs at level 70 w CIEMs but with universals I couldn’t. I know it’s not the best test or example but it’s a real life situation that I experience every day so I was thinking that was a good indicator my isolation was worse w my CIEMs. I can also hear my oscillating fan in my room w the CIEMs.

The phenomenon I described could still apply. For example, when I have a cold, I can't hear as well in general. But, when I use CIEMs, I don't feel any deficiency in my hearing at all. I don't know the anatomy or the science behind it, but this is exactly how I feel with uni's vs. customs; especially with tighter tips. I hear less of the outside world, but the volume of sound coming from the IEM is generally the same. Just to be sure, you're comparing your experiences between the custom and universal version of the same IEM, right?

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #14,193 of 40,579
Fedex uk do both now as a "handling" fee. Generally around £12.00 on top of whatever you need to pay :frowning2:

sadly this happens not just with Fedex. DHL Express is even more expensive when it comes to financial outlays. They all charge you with additional "handling fees" :/... no matter if you have to pay 15 or 150 € for customs. Really annoying...

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #14,194 of 40,579
The phenomenon I described could still apply. For example, when I have a cold, I can't hear as well in general. But, when I use CIEMs, I don't feel any deficiency in my hearing at all. I don't know the anatomy or the science behind it, but this is exactly how I feel with uni's vs. customs; especially with tighter tips. I hear less of the outside world, but the volume of sound coming from the IEM is generally the same. Just to be sure, you're comparing your experiences between the custom and universal version of the same IEM, right?

Yes custom versus universal legend x

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #14,195 of 40,579
I've had three pairs of customs. My latest set, is very comfortable and gives me the best isolation I've ever experience and it's significantly more than what I ever had w/ universals. Compared to my prior two customs, it gives me more isolation and although my other two pairs are comfortable and provide a good seal, for some reason, this last pair gives me more isolation. I think it greatly depends on the impressions first and how the manufacturers build them (comfort, nozzle lenght, etc) second.

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #14,196 of 40,579
Express probably means more chance of taxes at the other end.

Well for me FedEx no matter express or not is 100% chance of getting taxed

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #14,197 of 40,579
when shipping with those couriers companies tax has nothing to do with how fast they ship it , it always/only has to do with the declared value on the package

Jun 13, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #14,198 of 40,579
when shipping with those couriers companies tax has nothing to do with how fast they ship it , it always/only has to do with the declared value on the package

i would doubt that :) @davidmolliere had different experiences. If the declared amount is too low (50 $ f. e.) they have no issue to open the parcel, check what is in and if there is no invoice they ask you if you have one. If you don't have one, you won't get your shipment. That's it :)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #14,200 of 40,579
i would doubt that :) @davidmolliere had different experiences. If the declared amount is too low (50 $ f. e.) they have no issue to open the parcel, check what is in and if there is no invoice they ask you if you have one. If you don't have one, you won't get your shipment. That's it :)

I can confirm that at least the french importer FedEx uses (GTS Import) is very suspicious and it's not the first time... your mileage may vary if you're in a different country.

It was particularly painful as I paid taxes on the full amount including the rush order option :cry:
I am just glad the Phantom is an amazing CIEM otherwise it would leave a very bitter taste...
I could almost pay a roundtrip to Empire Ears with the amount I have paid :frowning2:

Yeah and FedEx for France/GTS checks the invoice number referenced on the shipping documents, they won't release with a mere PayPal receipt or proof of payment, they need the actual invoice.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #14,204 of 40,579
I've had three pairs of customs. My latest set, is very comfortable and gives me the best isolation I've ever experience and it's significantly more than what I ever had w/ universals. Compared to my prior two customs, it gives me more isolation and although my other two pairs are comfortable and provide a good seal, for some reason, this last pair gives me more isolation. I think it greatly depends on the impressions first and how the manufacturers build them (comfort, nozzle lenght, etc) second.

Did you give special instructions to them for how you like your ciem to be? or they just make it base on your impression.

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #14,205 of 40,579
someone please help me with my Zeus XR, theyre so boring to listen to I cant be asked anymore... any ideas?

lol. This post made me laugh so hard I cried. I just knew how irritated it would make people. And sometimes that's enough for big bad Pinky. hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back