Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 24, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #10,427 of 40,582
Everyone giving out different impressions on both models, im feeling a bit torned

Sit down in a comfortable chair, kick back and put your feet up.

Now calmly watch the world go by, in far too much of a rush for itself, while you relax.

Notice the hype train sounding closer and closer, and calmly let it roll by without getting out of your chair.

When the noise of the hype train has calmed a little, get out of your chair and stroll over to some real customers who have alighted from the hype train, and they will no doubt happily tell you their impressions, after having spent many days (or weeks) with their new CIEMs.

Until then... try not to get entangled in the to-ings-&-fro-ings. It'll just mess with your head! LOL
Snap out of it EMOTICON.gif

MANY hype trains have come and gone, here on Head-Fi.

MANY hype trains will come and go, in future, here on Head-Fi.

In short, there is no shortage of hype trains, so why allow them to mess with your head..?
deep-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Or, to put it another way:

What is more important to you:

1) an impulse buy, based upon limited (and sometimes conflicting) data?

or

2) your sanity?

Personally, the Phantom interests me (as does Zeus, esp. in the ADEL variants), but I've seen far too many hype trains come & go, to give them much credence until after the dust has settled.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #10,428 of 40,582
Everyone giving out different impressions on both models, im feeling a bit torned

I think, so far the only impressions we heard were from those who actually auditioned both IEMs at the recent shows, and based on what I have read here - those are pretty much aligned. 2 models with different tunings. The only confusion might come from Phantom impressions and the talk about the low end extension and impact. I can't weight in on that since I only heard Legend X (I have pre-production prototype with a finalized tuning). And so far all the impressions about Legend X were correct, it's a true BASShead Audiophile tuned IEM (just imagine something like a more resolving/transparent UERR with a lot deeper sub-bass rumble and a healthy mid-bass slam you can feel in your chest). I should have a review in a few weeks, before CanJam (I want to hear the final production unit before finalizing it). @Mython you don't have to read it, it's ok buddy, just continue relaxing in your chair :wink:

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #10,429 of 40,582
Sharing a few pictures, and early impression of my Zeus. I've only received them a few days ago. So far, really loving the sound out of these. Bass has decent power, and the midrange just sounds right. The vocals especially. Great for many playlists. The resolution, and transparency are superb. Everything sounds detailed, and nice. The build, and fit are good too. They've larger-than-average IEM housing, but they snug in my ears just fine. I think the custom would be even better. Grateful to receive the upgraded Whiplash cable as well. It looks stunning. Thank you EE team. :) Big thumbs-up.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #10,430 of 40,582
I think, so far the only impressions we heard were from those who actually auditioned both IEMs at the recent shows, and based on what I have read here - those are pretty much aligned. 2 models with different tunings. The only confusion might come from Phantom impressions and the talk about the low end extension and impact. I can't weight in on that since I only heard Legend X (I have pre-production prototype with a finalized tuning). And so far all the impressions about Legend X were correct, it's a true BASShead Audiophile tuned IEM (just imagine something like a more resolving/transparent UERR with a lot deeper sub-bass rumble and a healthy mid-bass slam you can feel in your chest). I should have a review in a few weeks, before CanJam (I want to hear the final production unit before finalizing it). @Mython you don't have to read it, it's ok buddy, just continue relaxing in your chair :wink:

The Phantom may be too different from other TOTL tunings. It is so natural that it is hard to describe the sound. It's just natural music. And ear tips also had a huge impact on the bass.

For legend X, I can end my impression with the same sentence, "BASShead Audiophile tuned IEM"- twister6.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #10,431 of 40,582
Sharing a few pictures, and early impression of my Zeus. I've only received them a few days ago. So far, really loving the sound out of these. Bass has decent power, and the midrange just sounds right. The vocals especially. Great for many playlists. The resolution, and transparency are superb. Everything sounds detailed, and nice. The build, and fit are good too. They've larger-than-average IEM housing, but they snug in my ears just fine. I think the custom would be even better. Grateful to receive the upgraded Whiplash cable as well. It looks stunning. Thank you EE team. :) Big thumbs-up.:thumbsup:

Awesome Zeus @ranfan! I was wondering which they would be, R or XIV (or both, of course), but could have guessed it would be R. Enjoy them!

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #10,432 of 40,582
Awesome Zeus @ranfan! I was wondering which they would be, R or XIV (or both, of course), but could have guessed it would be R. Enjoy them!
(awaiting massively discounted Zeus R in the sales thread after a certain someone gets bored of it after 10 hours usage) :joy:

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #10,433 of 40,582
Yep. it's the flatter R. Thanks Wyville. :) Enjoy your VE5 too.

(awaiting massively discounted Zeus R in the sales thread after a certain someone gets bored of it after 10 hours usage) :joy:
"I wish I have more friends like you." Lol. :D We should be neighbours.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #10,434 of 40,582
Yep. it's the flatter R. Thanks Wyville. :) Enjoy your VE5 too.
Sadly the VE5 will need to go back, but until that time I will certainly enjoy them. Finger crossed that the TOTLs I review after that will be my own. :wink:
"I wish I have more friends like you." Lol. :D We should be neighbours.
You are certainly the type of friend who doesn't do "boring"! :D

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #10,435 of 40,582
Having tried both, I think the Spartan is a good choice for those who are looking for a less pricier option to Zeus. They both share a neutral sound character, and a great SQ. The Zeus having a more extended treble, and clearer imaging/details.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #10,436 of 40,582
Having tried both, I think the Spartan is a good choice for those who are looking for a less pricier option to Zeus. They both share a neutral sound character, and a great SQ. The Zeus having a more extended treble, and clearer imaging/details.

Yep! Spartan is already my choice and fit my budget. Spartan sounds so good everyday since I got them.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #10,437 of 40,582

Would u mind if I ask u what cable is it? I have a Zeus R too and would like explore other cable options to pair with it. Thanks in advance.

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #10,438 of 40,582
Would u mind if I ask u what cable is it? I have a Zeus R too and would like explore other cable options to pair with it. Thanks in advance.
It is the ex stock cable, whiplash spc.
I believe now it is the ares ii from effect audio

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #10,440 of 40,582
@Jack Vang is there a timetable on when Phantom will be officially released for custom orders ?

also very interested to hear people compare Phantom in regard to the Zeus R and Zeus XIV signature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back