Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 26, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #10,456 of 40,604
Ethan is on this forum constantly. Honestly, I understand why you are upset, but they are as good as any company out there about getting back, so they really must be swamped with all the shows right now as well as getting ramped up for the new releases. I'm sure that Ethan will see this and get in touch soon. My suggestion is to PM Ethan on this board and I bet he'll get back as soon as he possibly can.

Jan 26, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #10,457 of 40,604
Ethan is on this forum constantly. Honestly, I understand why you are upset, but they are as good as any company out there about getting back, so they really must be swamped with all the shows right now as well as getting ramped up for the new releases. I'm sure that Ethan will see this and get in touch soon. My suggestion is to PM Ethan on this board and I bet he'll get back as soon as he possibly can.

I have ordered an extra EA Ares II balanced 2.5 mm TRRS plug at the same time with my CIEM Spartan IV. I got the Spartan more than a month ago but still not get my Ares II balanced 2.5 mm even though I paid all in advance. Ethan pmd me said that the cables will be shipped out whenever it is available. I was waiting and waiting and lost my patience pm’d Ethan 3 days ago but have not received his reply yet?! Idk what to say but at least Ethan should let me know the status of the cables even though there will be delayed...

Jan 26, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #10,458 of 40,604
Ehhh...

Really not trying to be unreasonable.

If they're willing to cash my check, being busy isn't a good enough reason to be going on a week late on a rush order with no communication.

Was able to get a hold of Jack. Order will ship out on Monday and the rush fee was reimbursed. Delay was due to an honest mistake, not just EE blowing it off. :D

I appreciate them making it right, but not being able to get a hold of someone in a situation like this can be maddening.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #10,459 of 40,604
Was able to get a hold of Jack. Order will ship out on Monday and the rush fee was reimbursed. Delay was due to an honest mistake, not just EE blowing off my rush order request.

I appreciate them making it right, but not being able to get a hold of someone in a situation like this can be maddening.

Then you would be really upset if you ever ordered from Trinity Audio. :astonished:

Glad you got it resolved,honestly in all the years I've been in the audio hobby(25+) these guys are in the top 5 of companies I have ever dealt with rest assured they will take care of you.

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #10,460 of 40,604
Then you would be really upset if you ever ordered from Trinity Audio. :astonished:

Glad you got it resolved,honestly in all the years I've been in the audio hobby(25+) these guys are in the top 5 of companies I have ever dealt with rest assured they will take care of you.

Your post made me look up the Trinity Audio thread.... I wish I hadn't! Those poor folks!

And I think part of what had me so upset is that every other interaction I have had with EE has been top notch. My current issue was a perfect storm of sorts.

Really excited to be back on track and for my Athenas to get here next week. :ksc75smile:

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #10,461 of 40,604
Damn it. After listening to the Legend X for an extended period of time, switching back to my other IEMs and full sized headphones is such pain.

"Where is my Bass? I miss the god damn bass!"

What is amazing about the Legend X is that there is nothing compromised. You go the speaker bass (somehow similar to the campfire vega, but Legend X's bass has even more texture to it), at the same time you have vocal clarity and the vocal is upfront. Having the treble clarity is just like sugar on top.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #10,462 of 40,604
Damn it. After listening to the Legend X for an extended period of time, switching back to my other IEMs and full sized headphones is such pain.

What is amazing about the Legend X is that there is nothing compromised. You go the speaker bass (somehow similar to the campfire vega, but Legend X's bass has even more texture to it), at the same time you have vocal clarity and the vocal is upfront. Having the treble clarity is just like sugar on top.
That actually sounds like my dream IEM :scream:

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #10,463 of 40,604

Sounds like what Vega would be if it's given proper refinement on literally everything. Now I am very intrigued.

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #10,465 of 40,604
Hi EE lovers!

I have been enjoying Custom Zeus XRA for half a year and I would like to share with all of you some impressions.

I listen them attached to AK300 trough balance 2.5mm connection.
The sound is great, very open, detailed, amazing,... and with NO HISS at all.

You can change from R to XIV and you really feel differences in the sound.
Voices move forward, stage is reduced a little bit, and the bass gets more presence.

Most of the time I use R and black ADEL modules. But it is great just to change the switch or the ADEL modules and get a complete new IEMs.

For example, when I travel by train or plane I need more punch and direct sound because of the noise.
So I change AK300 for an iPhone 6+ and put orange ADEL modules. The result is amazing for that environment.

But when I get to the hotel, AK300 and red or black modules are waiting me to enjoy a completely different experience.

That's great but something happened one week ago.
I purchased one Hugo2 and tried my ZEUS XRA with it. AK300 as source, H2 as DAC and the Zeus through 3.5mm connection.

OH MY GOOD! I was totally astonished.
The detail, clarity and overall sound improved in a HUGE way.
I am not talking about small differences. I am talking about a completely new sound. Just amazing!

It is true that you lost the switch because there are no differences at all when you change the sound profile.
But it doesn't matter because you get a great clarity, transparency, detail and stage in exchange.

The bad news is THE HISS. It is there and you notice it.

I know you are so excited with new releases and prototypes.
In my humble opinion it would be amazing to get before a "no so hiss sensible ZEUS" out there.
I just imagine the sound of the ZEUS attached to the H2 with no hiss and.... OH MY...!

Thanks all!

Enlight16.jpg

Jan 27, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #10,466 of 40,604
To my ears, the Zeus-R hisses with Opus 2, and a bit with WM1A. But somehow, it's silent straight out of my laptop. The Zeus-WM1A pairing is currently my favourite. It has a great bass texture, and smooth, clear mids.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #10,467 of 40,604

After giving more listening to Zeus and Legend X. I will still give an upper hand to Zeus when it comes to detail presented and information that I perceived. I am also edging towards the Zeus in terms of the ability to present and portray the stage itself.

The super speaker bass on the Legend X is so attractive and strong that it is affecting my perception of a 3D stage (width and depth) produced by the Legend X. The enhanced bass response makes imaging and interpretation of the depth of the stage harder as it sounded extremely close to you. I think I will need more time for my brain to burn in. However, the separation of the instrument is very on point as nothing sound congested or instruments overlapping the vocals etc. The legend X mostly relied on the width ?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #10,468 of 40,604
To my ears, the Zeus-R hisses with Opus 2, and a bit with WM1A. But somehow, it's silent straight out of my laptop. The Zeus-WM1A pairing is currently my favourite. It has a great bass texture, and smooth, clear mids.

That’s some magical laptop you got there, bud. :D I’ll be getting my modded WM1A from MS soon, so I’ll be able to hear that pairing too. :wink:

Jan 27, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #10,469 of 40,604
Very interesting observations by all of you. I have never heard hiss using headphones or my Noble Savants. I use my Ayre home gear, iPhone 6s Plus or my AK380cu with and without the amp. What's causing hiss? I have a few friends who own IEM's from a variety of manufacturers and they have the same problems. Do any of you own the AK380? Do you have hiss on certain IEM's?

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #10,470 of 40,604
Very interesting observations by all of you. I have never heard hiss using headphones or my Noble Savants. I use my Ayre home gear, iPhone 6s Plus or my AK380cu with and without the amp. What's causing hiss? I have a few friends who own IEM's from a variety of manufacturers and they have the same problems. Do any of you own the AK380? Do you have hiss on certain IEM's?

Hiss is mainly caused by an IEM’s high sensitivity. Essentially, the drivers are so easy to drive, that they pick up the amp circuit’s noise floor. The advantage to high sensitivity is driveability; it requires less power to bring them up to optimum volume. It’s virtually similar to a camera’s ISO. Increasing it makes the sensor more sensitive to light - making the image brighter - but it introduces noise when brought up excessively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back