Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 14, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #10,201 of 40,577
Yep...I guess we all have to wait for that 'final retail' release. Personal preferences and synergy with different daps / cables (and eartips in case of a universal) will also surely play a part, in shared impressions/reviews, after that :thinking:

For me the waiting ain't that bad...it's like knowing that you can go on a nice holiday soon....you only have to decide on the destination.
(Btw, I've already decided that it ain't gonna be Hawaii for me this year) :wink:

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #10,202 of 40,577
Yep...I guess we all have to wait for that 'final retail' release. Personal preferences and synergy with different daps / cables (and eartips in case of a universal) will also surely play a part, in shared impressions/reviews, after that :thinking:

For me the waiting ain't that bad...it's like knowing that you can go on a nice holiday soon....you only have to decide on the destination.
(Btw, I've already decided that it ain't gonna be Hawaii for me this year) :wink:
Oh, great analogy! I like that one! Same here, including (or rather, excluding) Hawaii. :D

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #10,203 of 40,577
Oh, great analogy! I like that one! Same here, including (or rather, excluding) Hawaii. :D
Thanks...I was just kidding about Hawaii of course. I really do feel sorry for the people over there...they must have felt like they were placed in some kind of 'Twilight Zone' nightmare episode, after that false missile alarm :scream:

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #10,204 of 40,577
Thanks...I was just kidding about Hawaii of course. I really do feel sorry for the people over there...they must have felt like they were placed in some kind of 'Twilight Zone' nightmare episode, after that false missile alarm :scream:
Sure, it is not very nice to have a threat looming over the place you call home (I know what it's like) and the false alarm must have been a real shock.

Jan 14, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #10,205 of 40,577
Not sure why you wouldn't want to go to Hawaii, a wonderful place, but anyway. It is very expensive and they need to stop sending fake emergency broadcasts... LOL. It could be the year I go to the Dominican as I don't travel to Europe often.
I am sure the wait for the new releases from EE will both be awesome, or so I have my hopes up.

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #10,208 of 40,577
Well, there are wires attached, xover parts and long lengths of wire in the coil structures of the BAs themselves.
Without wanting to add fuel to the fire, what changes in a cable / wire that could cause its properties to change overtime. Apart from oxydation, I fail to see how it could change. It is an open question.

Jan 14, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #10,209 of 40,577
Didn't intend to go here as he said he already believed in cables changing so I was simply stating that he may be hearing something beyond the mechanical properties of a BA type driver. I hear that as well and have done A/Bs with 2 of the same cables more than once and even some Shure se530s back in the day. Moving Coil Phono cartridges have a lot of initial change though that I have not A/B'd. I don't know the mechanism(s) but I also don't know the mechanism of gravity and am still typing this, if I exist at all, LOL. Not for here and honestly I don't intend to defend this to the prove it crowd. If you hear something, great. If you don't, also great. No reason to get worked up over it as long as you're happy in the end.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #10,210 of 40,577
Without wanting to add fuel to the fire, what changes in a cable / wire that could cause its properties to change overtime. Apart from oxydation, I fail to see how it could change. It is an open question.
This is my theory... No support from any source yet.
Through my secondary school chemistry lessons learning molecular structure, i think burn in helps to align the molecular structure so that electrons can flow easier. It may not be as obvious as let's say a better manufacturing technique.
(Bcos metals have a metallic crystal lattice structure held together by the forces of attraction between the cations and delocalised sea of electrons. Repeated agitation of these electrons may move the crystal structure slightly

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #10,211 of 40,577
is this the science forum guys ? it's been like 5 pages of burn in discuss

boring.

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #10,212 of 40,577
Didn't intend to go here as he said he already believed in cables changing so I was simply stating that he may be hearing something beyond the mechanical properties of os a BA type driver. I hear that as well and have done A/Bs with 2 of the same cables more than once and even some Shure se530s back in the day. Moving Coil Phono cartridges have a lot of initial change though that I have not A/B'd. I don't know the mechanism(s) but I also don't know the mechanism of gravity and am still typing this, if I exist at all, LOL. Not for here and honestly I don't intend to defend this to the prove it crowd. If you hear something, great. If you don't, also great. No reason to get worked up over it as long as you're happy in the end.

This is my theory... No support from any source yet.
Through my secondary school chemistry lessons learning molecular structure, i think burn in helps to align the molecular structure so that electrons can flow easier. It may not be as obvious as let's say a better manufacturing technique.
(Bcos metals have a metallic crystal lattice structure held together by the forces of attraction between the cations and delocalised sea of electrons. Repeated agitation of these electrons may move the crystal structure slightly

tenor.gif
tenor (1).gif
tenor (2).gif
tenor (3).gif
tenor (4).gif
tenor.gif

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #10,213 of 40,577
...It’s also important to consider a reviewer’s preferences, biases and listening abilities when reading a review. Sometimes, it can be argued that products are excessively praised simply because the reviewer doesn’t know any better.

Well put. I write reviews based on my subjective "take" on the sound I'm hearing, and try and describe the sound as honesty honestly as possible, taking my preferences into account where I can. That being said, people should always read my reviews in conjunction with my known likes and dislikes, and factor in that not all reviewers have access to every model in the market (either owming or auditioning), so there will inevitably be gaps where we/they just haven't heard any better.

Like @PinkyPowers says, our (reviewer or not) integrity and the hobby in general is best served by sharing our experiences openly and honestly.

It is a bit similar to people complaining about hype, but then I ask... If I have been looking around for IEMs that have a natural/realistic tonality as a priority, and I have had IEMs such as the UE18+ Pro at the top of my wish list, how can I not get excited (hyped) by the prospect of the Phantom? At the end of the day, I got into this hobby to find audio bliss and the Phantom might just well get me there! :D

Again, nicely put. Personally, I'm more stoked about the Legend X and the hybrid sound EE are developing - I'd love to hear both models (Canjam London, or if @Jack Vang makes some review models available on this side of the pond at some point are looking like my only two chances at the moment, though) but for my current listening preferences, it sounds like the Legend X would be right up my street. Hype is fine, as long as there is a healthy dose of perspective and/or realism thrown in from time to time too.

On the point of listening preferences, it's important to note that these can change over time, or even by mood and circumstances. Over the last few months, I've found myself reaching for my bassier IEMs, as I've been looking for more low end presence in my music. Switched to the Zeus last night to "refresh" my ears for some upcoming reviews and ended up losing three hours listening to whole albums with a stupid grin on my face.

Listening is a subjective hobby, so for most of the gear discussed in threads like these, it's almost always more a case of "will it work for me" rather than just "will it work", as technical competence is pretty much a given. And even then, what works for someone now might not necessarily be what works for them forever, as their audio tastes refine or change.

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #10,214 of 40,577
is this the science forum guys ? it's been like 5 pages of burn in discuss

boring.
Thanks. These always go bad if they continue. The issue is that in a forum like this, sometimes phrases like 'after run in' or 'with this cable' becomes part of a description and the measurement malitia are called to arms. Best if everyone just says what they believe in a music forum without taking threads off topic and is why I think it's a rule here to not call people out on those opinions unless in the sound science forum which is all about proofs.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #10,215 of 40,577
So, to get this back on topic. I've got my Spartans pretty much where I want them. I still want to audition a TWAG V3 (non-litz) which has the right character for where I'm at or a V4 (litz) which I haven't heard. Grado/Ortofon tips, G1 module and a cheap (under $15) KZ audio silver plated OFC cable with the .75mm pins pinched very slightly is giving awesome results.

A great aspect of Adel is the versatility. It's like I have some bass and isolation control when I need it and the benefits of Adel openness when I don't. I've built adel plugs from some rubber and heat shrink which increases the bass and offers more isolation for when I'm mowing etc. or on a plane. Also some foam ring backers for the tips which increases isolation. That also elevates the bass but I'm not sure why, maybe conduction. Yes, that's a bit of heat shrink on the tip to better hold tips. That was fussy to get right and actually improved the sound a hair more when I did. Must be keeping the tip just that bit further away from the bores though they were never blocked. If the shrink is too wide it's a hair too bright for me and if too narrow, they wont stay on the tip. I like these as setup (not stock) as much as anything I've owned or own which includes PP8, Andromeda and JH13fp with a TWAG v3. They all do something as well or better than each other so ymmv.

I also want to be clear that this would only be for this model and IMHO. These tweaks may take another model completely in the wrong direction. Interfacing is everything in subjective audio and for me, that 1st paragraph of tweaks is punching well above its price point.
spartan.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back