Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 15, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #10,216 of 40,524
and a tip about pinching pins. Just a little and at near the bass of the pin so you don't run as much risk of inadvertently damaging or expanding the earphone socket. Pic isn't actually in the process but just an example.
pin.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #10,218 of 40,524
Idea is to not pinch much at all and to use a smooth tipped plier nearer but not at the base. Did you actually mean 'breaks'/

The Adel 01 modules do the same thing for $40 but I didn't want to wait for them. It's not brain surgery here. More just info of a good result.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #10,220 of 40,524
Idea is to not pinch much at all and to use a smooth tipped plier nearer but not at the base. Did you actually mean 'breaks'/

The Adel 01 modules do the same thing for $40 but I didn't want to wait for them. It's not brain surgery here. More just info of a good result.:ksc75smile:
Brain surgery is a bit more involved than 2-pin management. :head_bandage: :slight_smile:

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #10,221 of 40,524
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...rmerly-earwerkz.786335/page-681#post-13975935

Some nice warm, fuzzy sentiments in the above conversation and quotes, but no one actually acknowledging the enormous elephant in the room, as per usual, on Head-Fi.

What is not said sometimes speaks louder than what is said.

On a lighter note, I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews from people who have purchased the Legend X and the Phantom, even if means waiting a couple of months until they are released for sale, by Jack and the EE team.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #10,222 of 40,524
Jan 15, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #10,223 of 40,524
Jan 15, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #10,224 of 40,524
Decency is also a cherished character trait.

Looking forward to listening to anything EE has lined up, hopefully at CanJam NYC next month.

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #10,226 of 40,524
Decency is also a cherished character trait.

Looking forward to listening to anything EE has lined up, hopefully at CanJam NYC next month.

Was just starting to type you a PM to ask if you are attending CanJam. I got my answer now, will see you in a month, Maurice!!!

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #10,227 of 40,524
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...rmerly-earwerkz.786335/page-681#post-13975935

Some nice warm, fuzzy sentiments in the above conversation and quotes, but no one actually acknowledging the enormous elephant in the room, as per usual, on Head-Fi.

What is not said sometimes speaks louder than what is said.

On a lighter note, I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews from people who have purchased the Legend X and the Phantom, even if means waiting a couple of months until they are released for sale, by Jack and the EE team.

I hate to seem confrontational, but can you explain what the elephant in the room exactly is? I'd honestly love a transparent conversation without all the passive aggression. It's also worth noting that the reviewers involved in this conversation so far have either purchased/been loaned more than they've been given, or have been heavily critical of free review units in the past. If you have beef with reviewers who glorify products just for the free stuff, this ain't the place, bud.

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #10,229 of 40,524
I hate to seem confrontational, but can you explain what the elephant in the room exactly is? I'd honestly love a transparent conversation without all the passive aggression. It's also worth noting that the reviewers involved in this conversation so far have either purchased/been loaned more than they've been given, or have been heavily critical of free review units in the past. If you have beef with reviewers who glorify products just for the free stuff, this ain't the place, bud.

My remarks relate to something I've already said very openly and clearly. This was then followed by others discussing multiple facets of subsequent conversation, but not the elephant in the room, which I had pointed to, and which (unsurprisingly) some people feel very awkward about acknowledging. It's endemic on Head-Fi and other head-based Hi-Fi sites.

However, it's important to reiterate that what I said was not aimed at any single individual, or any single manufacturer, or any single thread. The fact that I happened to mention it here in the EE thread was not premeditated or by design - it was spontaneous, as an off-the-cuff response to the endless (and unwinnable, by either side) debate about burn-in - that will be apparent to anyone who wishes to retrace the beginning of the topic. It is interesting that the first reply to that original post was so reactionary, and that others subsequently danced around tangential remarks that did not address what had really been said. That combination of responses is 'interesting', in itself.

I'm not looking for a long debate - that wouldn't be fair to Jack or the thread. I'm quite easy-going, generally. I just raised a point which I feel is legitimate, but quite a few others clearly feel isn't legitimate or should be swept under the carpet, or, at the least, danced around but not acknowledged. Although few Head-Fiers are willing to stick their necks out and publicly state their concerns, I know I am not alone in feeling a growing sense of unease, in recent years, as the 'free-sample-for-an-unbiased-review' mantra has become almost the rule, rather than the exception, in the world of head-based Hi-Fi. I know this because I periodically get PMs from other members, raising their concerns.

Apologies to Jack for the intermission, and, again, this is not in any way singling-out EE.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #10,230 of 40,524
I think that as long as the reviewer states where acquired, the reader can determine the rest for themselves. I also think another elephant is that reviewers are less likely to get review samples once they give bad reviews. We all understand these things and can weigh them appropriately without debate. Good reviewers allow for preference but if something doesn't agree with them will allow you to read between the lines.
I, for instance, briefly listened to the Cerebus, Spartan, and Hermes at Axpona and after only about a minute of each with a known source and file, knew the Spartan was best... FOR ME. Others will prefer another but FOR ME, it wasn't close. Doesn't make me right or the other's voicing wrong. A reviewer should never approach it that way beyond hinting at a personal favorite. It's more about describing attributes, faults, general flavor and overall quality relative to its niche and sig. I have my own set of absolutes but they should never be considered universal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back