Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 13, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #10,171 of 40,559
Guys, it's not about the drivers with BA based on what I was told. That said, you have wire and crossovers to concern yourselves with. Those do require burn in. the amount of burn in time will depend on the content of silver, copper etc and the grain boundaries within them.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #10,173 of 40,559
The best way to burn-in a product is to just enjoy listening to them. If they get better over time, they get better. If they don't, well, you already said how much you like them. :)

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #10,174 of 40,559
Whether 'burn-in' is real or not doesn't matter.

Just use your gear and it will inevitably and unavoidably progress through a period of usage, whether you believe in burn in or not.

The sound may or may not change, but time will progress regardless.

Your subjective perception of the sound may or may not change, but time will progress regardless.

Debate (no matter how heated) cannot and will not alter that.
Shrug emoticon.gif

EDIT: Pinky beat me to it
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #10,175 of 40,559
Thanks to Pinky and Mython both reaffirming what I said twice previously no need to burn them in just enjoy them...lol

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #10,176 of 40,559
Thanks to Pinky and Mython both reaffirming what I said twice previously no need to burn them in just enjoy them...lol

LOL - I'll see your "said twice previously", and raise you 5,000x I've said previously, in another Head-Fi thread "please read post #3!"

But yeah... some 'hotly debated topics' on Head-Fi rightly deserve to be taken out the back, have their miserable existance permanently terminated, and their fetid remains unceremoniously thrown in a dumpster!
annoyed thunder emoticon.gif

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #10,177 of 40,559
Guys, burn in is real and you can ask nearly any designer. That said, I'm not saying that folks shouldn't just enjoy from day one. I found on my Noble IEM's that burn in was minimal and was only incremental. I can promise you that my Ayre QX5/20 DAC/Server needed over 500 hours to burn in. When I asked Charlie Hansen (RIP) why it took so long, he said that it was the use of so much silver in the signal path. Mostly the caps took that long due to solid silver leads etc...

The same things go for your cables. I fully agree with Pinky and Sub when they say use them and love them from day one. Tons of variables are in play, but I fully stand by what I have said. We can agree to disagree on this topic as this isn't the forum to debate this especially when folks are enjoying their IEM's and that's the only thing that counts isn't it?

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #10,178 of 40,559
Hoping I'll not opening another hot debate : do you listen to your Zeus (XIV / R, with Adel G1) with any eq (P2 has a very good one), and if yes, what settings ?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #10,179 of 40,559
Guys, burn in is real and you can ask nearly any designer. That said, I'm not saying that folks shouldn't just enjoy from day one. I found on my Noble IEM's that burn in was minimal and was only incremental. I can promise you that my Ayre QX5/20 DAC/Server needed over 500 hours to burn in. When I asked Charlie Hansen (RIP) why it took so long, he said that it was the use of so much silver in the signal path. Mostly the caps took that long due to solid silver leads etc...

The same things go for your cables. I fully agree with Pinky and Sub when they say use them and love them from day one. Tons of variables are in play, but I fully stand by what I have said. We can agree to disagree on this topic as this isn't the forum to debate this especially when folks are enjoying their IEM's and that's the only thing that counts isn't it?

It depends on who you ask as well. During the custom IEMs panel at CanJam Singapore 2016 - which included guests such as Jerry Harvey, Piotr Granicki (Custom Art), Emil Stolecki (Lime Ears), Hieu Tran (Soranik) and John Moulton (Noble) - someone asked if they've observed changes within their IEMs due to burn-in, and all of them conclusively said "No." But, I personally don't want to open that can of worms. I completely agree with @PinkyPowers and @Mython; just enjoy the gear you have and if you perceive it getting better: Great! If not: You already liked it enough to buy it in the first place. :D

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #10,180 of 40,559
Hoping I'll not opening another hot debate : do you listen to your Zeus (XIV / R, with Adel G1) with any eq (P2 has a very good one), and if yes, what settings ?

Never felt the need to EQ my Zeus-XR (non-Adel version) as the tuning is so cohesive that tweaking the frequency bands seems to take away more than it adds in trends of the overall effect (I find Campfire Audio iems to be the same).

That being said, it does seem to take EQ very well indeed - just played "Why so serious?" from The Dark Night soundtrack and bumped the 30Hz range up by about 7db on my Neutron parametric EQ, and it did bring a little more sub bass thrum out of the drivers without any noticeable distortion. So, if you want to EQ, the Zeus should handle it just fine.

As an aside, as "bass-neutral" as the Zeus are purported to be, the Dark Night soundtrack still sounds absolutely friggin' awesome through these IEMs.

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #10,181 of 40,559
I don't think any of us were really debating whether burn-in is real or not real. I think what we were saying is just put them in your ears and enjoy them if you want to leave him hooked up to a source overnight that's fine but put them in your ears and enjoy them. Us reviewers seem to go with 100 hours of burn in before writing a review but it doesn't trouble me because I usually have something else I need to listen to that I'm preparing another review for.

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #10,182 of 40,559
Sub, thanks. It's all good guys. I haven't had enough time with IEM's to truly know if or how much burn in is needed for 'break in'. I am taking more about the cables and also any source gear. When I review 2 channel gear I always will ask the designer what they recommend. Most just say to try and get a few hundred hours on them. Heck, my Ayre integrated amp needed a full 500 on EACH input. Just a ton of silver in them and it's mostly the caps they are using. I was auditioning a new 250,000 usd speaker last month that sounded like garbage. I asked how many hours were on it and was told about 50. I went back to teh dealer after he had about 300 on it and it sounded so much better. I still didn't like them, but there was a tremendous difference. Apple vs oranges though :wink:...That's why I"m enjoying this forum and the headphone sites. I'm learning a lot which is fun.

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #10,183 of 40,559
There are so many topics up for debate whether Bigfoot exists, Yeti, UFO's, man walking on the moon, cables, tip rolling, EQ, lossless vs. MP3 and the list goes on and on.
Have I mentioned that I enjoy the Zeus and all of it's transparency and resolution?

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #10,184 of 40,559
I saw Bigfoot yesterday and, when I stopped to talk with him, all he said was that he liked the bass that the Zeus delivers. What more can be said about that topic now?

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #10,185 of 40,559
I don't think any of us were really debating whether burn-in is real or not real. I think what we were saying is just put them in your ears and enjoy them if you want to leave him hooked up to a source overnight that's fine but put them in your ears and enjoy them. Us reviewers seem to go with 100 hours of burn in before writing a review but it doesn't trouble me because I usually have something else I need to listen to that I'm preparing another review for.

Yup. I tend to go one week of burning. But I'm a reviewer and need to be above suspicion. It's not good when I write something about a piece of gear and the main question is, "But how long did you burn them in for?"

For everyone else, I say, quit worrying and have fun with your new toy. That's what it's all about, yes?
:L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back