Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 27, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #9,856 of 40,587
Wow, so many (this thread is on fire atm, and that even before the new models have been launched) interesting, fun and informative posts over the past 24 hours :thinking:

These days I have a Redwine modded AK380cu on a loan and the Zeus XR sounds nothing less than sublime (fantastic synergy) out of it. It delivers better synergy/sq with the Zeus for sure compared to the daps that I have myself.
So much layering going on in the sound...it would make an onion blush :flushed:

One strange thing though: normally I almost always prefer the XIV signature from my daps, but with the AK380 it sometimes sounds so (= too) intense to my ears, that I often choose for the more laid back R signature.

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #9,857 of 40,587
i am all the time curius how XR would scale with a better source than WM1A

then again , a better source is like 2K so i try to forget it

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #9,858 of 40,587
My XR came with a Whiplash SPC (which had a crimp in the wire causing it to cut out sometimes). I returned it and, luck of the draw, EE gave me an Ares ll. I much prefer the Ares ll when paired with my Astell SP1000. The only cable upgrade I would consider would be something <$500 in balanced, as my current Ares ll in single ended. But I'm in no hurry, and there is an LA CanJam coming up in April where I can (hopefully) demo them.

What is NOT being discussed here is how your source DAP can affect cable and IEM. It's not one-size-fits-all, it's how each part of the (synergy) puzzle fits together. Most of us here have different DAPs and some of us even use cellphones. Sound quality will be different with each pairing, so it should be clear to everyone that when referencing sound it is predicated on the poster's setup. My Astell with Zeus will certainly sound different than a Zeus with an Opus #2 or an LPG or a Sony A or Z. That's why I look for reviewers who use the same DAP I do, or factor in the DAP they are using as part of my take-away from their reviews. Before buying my Zeus I pm'd a Head-Fi'er here who I respect because he had an SP1000/Zeus and I wanted to make sure he had no hiss (a problem with a Zeus sometimes depending on pairing). It also seems to matter what type of music people listen to, as EDM is very different from classical which is different from the 60's rock I listen to.

I think it would be extremely helpful if people posted a visible signature of what they use with their IEM or referenced it when posting. That way everyone would know in what manner the sound was getting to that person's ears. That might help others who are trying to make up their minds whether to buy a specific IEM, as well as perhaps get an idea of what pairings seem to work best.

As for ADEL, I came of age in the 60's and attended as many rock shows in San Francisco as possible. Between the shows, listening to music all the time and my age, my hearing has certainly been affected. I find that lowering the volume on my setup to a more reasonable level helps me keep my hearing functional (my audiologist showed me a diagram of my hearing levels, drop-off in the upper regions a bit, slightly more in the right than in the left ear. And I got some tinitus after they stuck me in a tube and scanned my brain- that thing is LOUD!). I teach high school students and am constantly amazed at just how loud they listen to their music using earbuds. If I can hear it across the room, it's too loud. In addition, listening with IEM/buds for 8-10 hours straight daily seems counter-productive to lasting hearing health. Not to get into a "hey you kids, get off my lawn" mode, but you younger folks might consider the long-term affects of loud and long listening sessions. If ADEL helps save your hearing, it makes sense. For me, as you can see below, it's too late.

Old-Man.gif

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #9,860 of 40,587
do yall think a tia fourte is a good addition beside Zeus XR ?

I wonder if folks should wait a month or so for the newer EE model's that are talked about before making decisions on much more expensive IEM's like Tia and others? Seems to me that based on what we heard about the Tokyo show, that both of the new ones will be major contenders for TOTL type of IEM's. One will have a bit of a V shape and the other will have a true audiophile, neutral signature with great extensions from sub bass to pristine treble.

I'd love to audition these others TOTL IEM's, but the US isn't big on these types of devices yet. I'm loving my AK380cu and can't wait to hear one of the new EE's when they come out. I sent the impressions already so that I can get in line as soon as the line opens up, lol. I'm sure they'll have some sort of launch party eventually.

Cabling is so crazy. Some enjoy a pure copper one, some enjoy a silver one, some a mixture. To me, it's like anything else in audio, it's up to the individual. I have found plenty of lower priced copper options for my high end 2 channel rig. Audioquest makes some great cables for folks who don't want to spend an arm and a leg. They also make some of the top upper end cables. I feel strongly that if a cable can make a 'full component upgrade', then it's probalby worth it if you can afford it. If it's just an incremental difference, then it's not worth it. That's how I find my personal fulcrum.

I'm sure I'll be the same way in the CIEM world. I don't know what cable these EE's will ship wiht, but based on what I read and hear, they will come with an outstanding cable that it voiced for the proper signature. I"m sure hoping so as many of you are too.

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #9,861 of 40,587
Dec 27, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #9,862 of 40,587
Quite strangely, the demo and custom VE8 sound super different. The custom is much more coherent and smooth.
Probably why I wasn't overly impressed and I felt the stage was incoherent. I adjusted but it took awhile.

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #9,863 of 40,587
Having to buy it in non customs version irks me tho !

Agreed. One of the only reasons why I haven't bought it yet :D

i am all the time curius how XR would scale with a better source than WM1A

then again , a better source is like 2K so i try to forget it

I hope to receive my modded WM1A soon - that is, if a certain disaster regarding lost luggage ends up getting resolved. So, if I do end up getting it, I'll let you know how the pairing works. :D

I wonder if folks should wait a month or so for the newer EE model's that are talked about before making decisions on much more expensive IEM's like Tia and others? Seems to me that based on what we heard about the Tokyo show, that both of the new ones will be major contenders for TOTL type of IEM's. One will have a bit of a V shape and the other will have a true audiophile, neutral signature with great extensions from sub bass to pristine treble.

I'd love to audition these others TOTL IEM's, but the US isn't big on these types of devices yet. I'm loving my AK380cu and can't wait to hear one of the new EE's when they come out. I sent the impressions already so that I can get in line as soon as the line opens up, lol. I'm sure they'll have some sort of launch party eventually.

Cabling is so crazy. Some enjoy a pure copper one, some enjoy a silver one, some a mixture. To me, it's like anything else in audio, it's up to the individual. I have found plenty of lower priced copper options for my high end 2 channel rig. Audioquest makes some great cables for folks who don't want to spend an arm and a leg. They also make some of the top upper end cables. I feel strongly that if a cable can make a 'full component upgrade', then it's probalby worth it if you can afford it. If it's just an incremental difference, then it's not worth it. That's how I find my personal fulcrum.

I'm sure I'll be the same way in the CIEM world. I don't know what cable these EE's will ship wiht, but based on what I read and hear, they will come with an outstanding cable that it voiced for the proper signature. I"m sure hoping so as many of you are too.

The new EE releases will be revolutionary. Can't friggin wait. :D

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #9,864 of 40,587
Obviously the cable makers are selling their top shelf cables or they wouldn't continue producing them and they aren't all review samples either. If you want to upgrade your situation buy IEMs, if you aren't happy with your sound. If you are just dying to drain your wallet and eek every last bit of quality out of your 2K IEM investment buy cables greater than $500. Most people giving advice aren't paying for them.

Also, to Olddudes point, I have one reference DAP, Opus #2, and a couple other DAP's but I agree you can not underestimate the importance of a good source. I have always been happy with A&K, great UI, slightly warmish tinge to the sound. The Opus #2 is also a great DAP, not as warm as A&K great stage and extension.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back