Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 27, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #9,841 of 40,559
now it has s1 or g1 to choose from in its website, so i wonder if i can order a 01

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #9,843 of 40,559
Zeus pairs nicely with the 150$ pwaudio no5 cable (4-braid)

seeing people say that a 2500$ ciem finally sounds great when paired with a 2000$ cable , makes me feel sad & sorry for them

if i need a cable like Horus to make my 2K ciem sound good - well then my 2k ciem is probably not so TOTL after all

i would love to try the 1960s 2-wire , but to spend 1000$ for a cable seems like a bad joke to this semi-empty wallet of mine
Based on what I have read I can see why the no5 would pair nicely, I always wanted to try it and it is priced so that could be a reality. It doesn't make real sense to me to have to spend 1k or more on a cable for a $2500 IEM, to each their own. Do these 2K IEM's need it to shine? People complain that the cost of IEM's has gotten ridiculous, to me I will pay the price for an IEM, but in my head it is totally ludicrous, and industry greed, to pay that money on cables. Truth be told, the most expensive cable I have is the Dita Truth copper and it is a $500 cable. I wouldn't have it if it wasn't a review sample. It can be a lot easier to make positive claims of a product without buyer's remorse. I am not saying the positive results can't be heard but to decide if you are receiving 1K to 2K more satisfaction from your TOTL would be fairly subjective based on price/performance ratio.

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #9,844 of 40,559
agreed, i think i will stick with the effect audio bundled ares II with the xr(a), and this is why i think it is the reason for ea to provide free upgrade cable.
but what cable was it before an upgrade is in place?

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #9,845 of 40,559
agreed, i think i will stick with the effect audio bundled ares II with the xr(a), and this is why i think it is the reason for ea to provide free upgrade cable.

Believe the Zeus has has an "upgrade" cable bundled with it for quite some time. Before the Effect Audio Ares II it was a Whiplash SPC (that's the cable I had with my Zeus-XR around May/June time) - before that it was a BTG Starlight SPC, if I remember correctly.

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #9,846 of 40,559
To my knowledge, there have been two different ones the last one was a Whiplash SPC and I don't recall what the one before that was. I prefer the Ares II over the Whiplash SPC, mine came with the Whiplash and I purchased the Ares II.

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #9,847 of 40,559
Believe the Zeus has has an "upgrade" cable bundled with it for quite some time. Before the Effect Audio Ares II it was a Whiplash SPC (that's the cable I had with my Zeus-XR around May/June time) - before that it was a BTG Starlight SPC, if I remember correctly.
Thanks dude I think we hit the post button about the same time and you are correct that's the cable came with prior to the Whiplash SPC

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #9,849 of 40,559
Thanks dude I think we hit the post button about the same time and you are correct that's the cable came with prior to the Whiplash SPC

I like the Whiplash SPC, but prefer the Ares II+ with my Zeus. The Whiplash cable actually sounds really good with my Athena. It's all in the realms of tiny adjustments rather than night and day differences, but I definitely have favourite pairings now I've got a few decent cables to choose from.

Tried Leonidas with the Zeus (won them both in the same competition) and it was just a bit too thin sounding in comparison, so that ended up on my U8 - more money doesn't always equal better performance (for me, anyway).

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #9,850 of 40,559
I confess I haven't heard any iterations of ADEL, but I do find it glaringly apparent that very few people on Head-fi seem willing to compromise even 1 inch on absolute sound quality, even if it means protecting their hearing an inch!

I mean, sure, audiophiles are uncompromising by nature, but what's the point in having the absolute last inch of SQ if, several years down the line, your ears become incapable of hearing the difference?
It amazes me how utterly irrelevant that seems to be to so many people here on Head-fi.

I don't have a horse in this particular race, and I don't view ADEL as a magic solution, but, as a rational person who cares about my hearing, I would much rather compromise just a little if it improved my chances of healthy longterm hearing.

Please note that this isn't a rant. It's simply remarking on the bizarreness of the apparent status quo on these forums.

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #9,851 of 40,559
I confess I haven't heard any iterations of ADEL, but I do find it glaringly apparent that very few people on Head-fi seem willing to compromise even 1 inch on absolute sound quality, even if it means protecting their hearing an inch!

I mean, sure, audiophiles are uncompromising by nature, but what's the point in having the absolute last inch of SQ if, several years down the line, your ears become incapable of hearing the difference?
It amazes me how utterly irrelevant that seems to be to so many people here on Head-fi.

I don't have a horse in this particular race, and I don't view ADEL as a magic solution, but, as a rational person who cares about my hearing, I would much rather compromise just a little if it improved my chances of healthy longterm hearing.

Please note that this isn't a rant. It's simply remarking on the bizarreness of the apparent status quo on these forums.

Oh, don’t worry. I’ve also posted my personal take on the health-vs-SQ debate here, which you can read below:
ADEL changes the sound signature of an IEM and its changes don't necessarily make an IEM better or worse; just different. It all comes down to personal preference. Here are a couple of excerpts I've written about ADEL modules:

"...As someone who has an ADEL-equipped IEM and has compared it with the non-ADEL variant, I can say its health benefits are very tangible. Personally, my left ear gets fatigued quicker than my right, and after an hour or so of listening to a non-ADEL IEM, I get pseudo channel imbalance, but in terms of dynamics and focus rather than volume or SPL. This never occurs with my ADEL IEM. Ear fatigue also sets in much slower with ADEL, maintaining sharp aural focus and consistent perceived listening levels for much longer.

However, I must say that its effects on sound are much more mixed. ADEL technology relies on venting, which means a loss in isolation. This loss in isolation also causes a reduction in mid-bass warmth. Given, this causes the bass to be less congested, and more airy and natural in its presentation, but it may cause lean IEMs to sound anaemic and thin down low, and incoherent. Also, its soundstage expansion is at a cost of imaging accuracy and resolution. Because the details are further away, perceived resolution takes a hit, and imaging becomes smeared as the soundstage is somewhat stretched. If you're someone who values resolution and critical listening a lot, you may find yourself pumping up the volume to counteract the loss in isolation and in an attempt to bring up the details, eventually counteracting the effects of ADEL by exposing yourself to excessive levels of SPL.

ADEL is definitely a give and take..."

"...I had the chance to A/B the XR and the XRA for the very first time, and the differences between them were larger than I had anticipated. I felt the XR had more resolution, much sharper and more precise imaging, a blacker background with greater dynamism (due to the better isolation, I presume), better linearity and coherence, and an overall more intimate and focused sound. The XRA, on the other hand, felt more stretched out, resulting in a better feeling of immensity. However, this resulted in the XRA being less engaging, as the music is more out-of-head, rather than you being in it. The XRA also sounded less resolute, and I felt the masterful balance in tuning that the XR had, was somewhat tampered with, resulting in a less even and less realistic/natural sound. I'd say, the XRA is great if you'd rather sit back and let the music surround you, at the expense of utmost detail retrieval and tonality. On the other hand, the XR is fantastic if you want to actively enjoy/critically listen to your music with ultra-high levels of engagement, clarity, and superior imaging and transparency."

Hope this helps!

I’ve also written posts recommending IEMs (like the Athena-VIII) that would benefit sonically from ADEL, but I wouldn’t blame you if you haven’t seen it considering the sheer amount of activity on this thread.

Man, I should really pin these posts on my profile or something; sure would beat abusing Head-Fi’s search functions every other week. :D

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #9,852 of 40,559

I decided to give the proverbial inches when i chose my spartan and decided to get adel

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #9,853 of 40,559
do yall think a tia fourte is a good addition beside Zeus XR ?

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #9,854 of 40,559
do yall think a tia fourte is a good addition beside Zeus XR ?

Personally, yes. The Tia Fourte has a different, more analytical approach to reference, and it’s different enough from the XR to warrant a purchase. Only if you can afford it with your kidneys intact, though. :wink:

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #9,855 of 40,559
Having to buy it in non customs version irks me tho !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back