Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 27, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #9,826 of 40,582
seeing so much comments on XR, so should one consider to go for Adel? Please!

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #9,828 of 40,582
seeing so much comments on XR, so should one consider to go for Adel? Please!

depends if you want a fuller sound or more air and soundstage.

If your preference is the latter, then go for ADEL.

But isolation will be lessened due to the ADEL module.

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #9,829 of 40,582
according to deezel (if i remember correctly) adel decreases clarity/separation , which in my book is a huge no-no

you should see deezel's post , i think Rin presents adel more favourably than reality

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #9,830 of 40,582
thanks for the input, i will also look into deezel's post.
so, for whichever iem brand with similar Adel, Apex, is it the same which it will decrease clarity/separation?

shall i assume they are the same technology or theory?

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #9,831 of 40,582
so, for whichever iem brand with similar Adel, Apex, is it the same which it will decrease clarity/separation?

They're not exactly the same module but they do reduce pneumatic pressure according to theory.

To my ears, in the previous models of ADEL 64 Audio CIEMs, I find the use of modules didn't do it for me in a much fuller sound experience with a nice seal and near perfect isolation, which is the point of custom earphones at the first palce.

As a result, I prefer non-ADEL CIEMs in general since having a much fuller sound makes for a much more immersive listening experience, to me at least.

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #9,832 of 40,582

The following are my impressions regarding ADEL vs. non-ADEL. APEX is a similar-looking technology that works pretty differently, but the changes it makes to the sound aren’t very far off.

"I had the chance to A/B the XR and the XRA for the very first time, and the differences between them were larger than I had anticipated. I felt the XR had more resolution, much sharper and more precise imaging, a blacker background with greater dynamism (due to the better isolation, I presume), better linearity and coherence, and an overall more intimate and focused sound. The XRA, on the other hand, felt more stretched out, resulting in a better feeling of immensity. However, this resulted in the XRA being less engaging, as the music is more out-of-head, rather than you being in it. The XRA also sounded less resolute, and I felt the masterful balance in tuning that the XR had, was somewhat tampered with, resulting in a less even and less realistic/natural sound. I'd say, the XRA is great if you'd rather sit back and let the music surround you, at the expense of utmost detail retrieval and tonality. On the other hand, the XR is fantastic if you want to actively enjoy/critically listen to your music with ultra-high levels of engagement, clarity, and superior imaging and transparency."

"The XR and the XRA have different signatures and different presentations. The XR is richer, more bodied, and more natural sounding than the XRA. The XRA has the impression of being more airy due to a sparklier treble and thinner lower midrange, even though the XR is pretty airy already. I find the custom XR to lack a tiny bit of air just in the treble; everywhere else it has air in spades. On the bright side, this allows the XR to be more forgiving with harsher recordings, while they get unapologetically destroyed by the XRA.

Presentation-wise, the XR is more focused with fantastic clarity, resolution, and pinpoint imaging. The XRA, on the other hand, has a wider and more euphonic presentation, with imaging that's less precise, because the instruments sound somewhat stretched all around you. Resolution is also not as prevalent because of a less black background, some incoherence in the lower midrange, and the aforementioned phenomena of having details stretched around you. A friend of mine who has the XRA claims the carrot module cannot fully convert an XRA into an XR, even if it can get close."

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #9,833 of 40,582
appreicate your time and effort. my wife tested the xra and loved it, she ordered it.
i am thinking to go mine for the same xra or just xr.

the bad thing is that the shop which offered the demo unit doesn's have xr

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #9,834 of 40,582
and the shop keep selling me ve8 which my wife and me don't like it.

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #9,836 of 40,582
appreicate your time and effort. my wife tested the xra and loved it, she ordered it.

Quite strangely, the demo and custom VE8 sound super different. The custom is much more coherent and smooth.

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #9,837 of 40,582
Keep in mind the Zeus has two sound signatures,--- R and XlV. The XR combines both with a switch to select either, for $300 over the cost of either the R or the XlV. It's not clear to me from this discussion WHICH Zeus is being referenced. The R, to my ears, is a bit flatter than is the XlV. That said, I keep my XR almost exclusively on the XlV side. Bottom line, though, is that the Zeus is not a rumbly bass IEM. It's strength seems to be a naturalness of sound that is pleasing over long listening sessions. And I also assume we aren't discussing ADEL, as that is an entirely different kettle of fish.
Do you think the Zeus was re tuned for the ADEL versions ?

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #9,838 of 40,582

Try asking if they have carrot modules or O1 modules. They're orange and they block the ADEL port, eliminating the effects of ADEL to some extent. In my experience, it won't sound exactly like a non-ADEL XR, but it should get you 90% of the way there.

Do you think the Zeus was re tuned for the ADEL versions ?

I don't think so. The ADEL module's loss in isolation and the changes it makes to the acoustics of the ear are responsible for the changes AFAIK.

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #9,839 of 40,582
i don't think the shop has it. it didn't really want me to buy ea.
is the carrot or 01 module a bundled with xra?

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #9,840 of 40,582
i don't think the shop has it. it didn't really want me to buy ea.
is the carrot or 01 module a bundled with xra?

Not as far as I know. At MS, when you purchase the XRA, you get the S1 by default, and you pay extra if you'd like the G1 or MAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back