Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 26, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #9,811 of 40,582
U owe me a fourte:wink:
The fourte is a more analogue sound. More bass and rumble, mids similar, highs more or similar to the zeus
Deezel beat me to it :frowning2:

I would say the Tia Fourte is like an Andromeda / Encore but on steroids / drug. Boosted to Ultra performances in every aspect. But it is very very very different from Zeus.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #9,812 of 40,582
I find a lot of "WOW" with the Zeus. It's just not a rumbling bass-centric WOW, it's a "I hear everything clearly from bottom to top" WOW.

Sorry, I haven't heard the Kaiser. I bought the Zeus after doing a lot of reading about the sound signatures of various IEMs. A good place to do so is the thread I'm linking to here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ran...ut-introduction-and-reviews-on-page-1.826876/

Maybe someone on this thread can compare the two for you?

The Kaiser Encore is actually very different from the Zeus, from top to bottom. In the bass, it has greater mid-bass impact and an overall darker tone. The Zeus has a wispier, airier bass that’s clearer and faster, but lacks any real punch in comparison. The Encore has a leaner midrange due to an attenuated lower-midrange, giving it a stronger sense of clarity and transparency. However, the Zeus’s accentuated lower-midrange gives it a sense of weight, thickness and organicity, which is beautifully paired with top-end extension to create a vocal range that balances power and resolve.

The Encore has an upper-mid peak along with a rise in the upper-treble for crispness and energy, contributing to - again - a greater sense of cleanliness and transparency; similar to the A18, for example. On the other hand, the Zeus has less of an upper-mid peak and more of an upper-treble rise for the same sense of clarity without the crispness or the edge; contributing to the Zeus’s more natural overall tone. The Zeus also has greater treble extension to create a more stable and well-resolved stage, while the Encore focuses on filling its soundscape with dynamics and energy; rather than ultimate definition.

Similar to the Encore, the Fourte is an IEM with a leaner signature than the Zeus, and benefits from this in detail, cleanliness and transparency. Its defining trait is an extremely controlled and tight decay, giving the Fourte an impressive sense of speed. Conversely, the Zeus’s thicker presentation - because of its lower-midrange hump - makes it sound slightly sluggish and somewhat hazy in comparison. However, the Fourte is nowhere near as natural in tone or romantic in its presentation as the Zeus is.

The Fourte has a more sub-bass focused low-end, with more tightness than that of the Zeus because of its upper-treble rise. However, it is similarly neutral in quantity, even though the Fourte’s DD bass gives it superior physicality and gutturalness. Again, the Fourte is cleaner in the midrange because of its attenuated lower-midrange. Vocals contrast against the black background with utmost precision, but they lack the warmth and richness required to sound completely natural. Its upper-midrange is actually less accentuated than that of the Encore, but it has a tremendous amount of air, clarity and edge because of its upper-treble presentation.

It lifts higher than the Zeus and extends further too, but the lack of a natural tone will make it more fatiguing, and it becomes harder to maintain a mental image of the soundstage in these conditions. The Fourte’s stage is large, but lacks a sense of solidity when compared to the Zeus, most likely due to the linearity and coherence in the latter’s response. All in all, the Fourte is far and away the superior technical performer - even if merely by virtue of its technological achievements. But, if you’re looking for a more pleasing signature that’s natural, organic, and definitely isn’t lagging behind in sound quality - plus the benefits of a custom fit IEM - then the Zeus is the one for you.

I can't thanks enough for this sharing. Great share!

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #9,813 of 40,582
Keep in mind the Zeus has two sound signatures,--- R and XlV. The XR combines both with a switch to select either, for $300 over the cost of either the R or the XlV. It's not clear to me from this discussion WHICH Zeus is being referenced. The R, to my ears, is a bit flatter than is the XlV. That said, I keep my XR almost exclusively on the XlV side. Bottom line, though, is that the Zeus is not a rumbly bass IEM. It's strength seems to be a naturalness of sound that is pleasing over long listening sessions. And I also assume we aren't discussing ADEL, as that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #9,814 of 40,582
I owned U18 Tzar and Zeus at the same time, overall prefer the Zeus. I have only heard one Noble product, and that was an Heir, and I enjoyed it but there are so many other companies I would give my hard earned money to, other than Noble. The Zeus has bass, plenty of bass it is just light in sub bass or that gutteral rumble. With the right tips and cable the Zeus has everything you could want, minus deep sub bass. The bass quality is actually very good, with textured layers and details. Transparency and clarity are certainly a couple of the strongest points of the Zeus. About the only time I use the R setting is if I switch it on accident.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #9,815 of 40,582
Good call re cable and tips (assuming a universal). I prefer a copper cable (Ares ll in my case) to a copper/silver one. My Astell has a ton of detail and upper end and the copper/silver cable skewed toward (but didn't reach) shrill. I much prefer copper with the Zeus. It also gives a fuller sound without coloring the music in a negative manner. As for tips, Comply added lots of timbre and more bass but took away some of the transparency, and SpinFits just didn't do it for me. The Final Audio tips several folks here recommended to me really bring out the best from the Zeus. I find the Zeus similar to the UERM (but much better). Both have a lot of upper end, both are very transparent, and both have lots of bass without being bass-y. I've had a few IEMs that had lots of bass (Shure 846 and JH Angie with the bass pots at around 3pm) and neither one can carry the Zeus' water to my ears.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #9,816 of 40,582
Keep in mind the Zeus has two sound signatures,--- R and XlV. The XR combines both with a switch to select either, for $300 over the cost of either the R or the XlV. It's not clear to me from this discussion WHICH Zeus is being referenced. The R, to my ears, is a bit flatter than is the XlV. That said, I keep my XR almost exclusively on the XlV side. Bottom line, though, is that the Zeus is not a rumbly bass IEM. It's strength seems to be a naturalness of sound that is pleasing over long listening sessions. And I also assume we aren't discussing ADEL, as that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Yeah, I was careful to only say things that applied to both the R and the XIV settings, IMO at least. Otherwise, I would’ve also talked about qualities like midrange forwardness, intimacy, depth, etc. But, definitely a good call to be more specific in the future.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #9,817 of 40,582
The Kaiser Encore is actually very different from the Zeus, from top to bottom. In the bass, it has greater mid-bass impact and an overall darker tone. The Zeus has a wispier, airier bass that’s clearer and faster, but lacks any real punch in comparison. The Encore has a leaner midrange due to an attenuated lower-midrange, giving it a stronger sense of clarity and transparency. However, the Zeus’s accentuated lower-midrange gives it a sense of weight, thickness and organicity, which is beautifully paired with top-end extension to create a vocal range that balances power and resolve.

The Encore has an upper-mid peak along with a rise in the upper-treble for crispness and energy, contributing to - again - a greater sense of cleanliness and transparency; similar to the A18, for example. On the other hand, the Zeus has less of an upper-mid peak and more of an upper-treble rise for the same sense of clarity without the crispness or the edge; contributing to the Zeus’s more natural overall tone. The Zeus also has greater treble extension to create a more stable and well-resolved stage, while the Encore focuses on filling its soundscape with dynamics and energy; rather than ultimate definition.

Similar to the Encore, the Fourte is an IEM with a leaner signature than the Zeus, and benefits from this in detail, cleanliness and transparency. Its defining trait is an extremely controlled and tight decay, giving the Fourte an impressive sense of speed. Conversely, the Zeus’s thicker presentation - because of its lower-midrange hump - makes it sound slightly sluggish and somewhat hazy in comparison. However, the Fourte is nowhere near as natural in tone or romantic in its presentation as the Zeus is.

The Fourte has a more sub-bass focused low-end, with more tightness than that of the Zeus because of its upper-treble rise. However, it is similarly neutral in quantity, even though the Fourte’s DD bass gives it superior physicality and gutturalness. Again, the Fourte is cleaner in the midrange because of its attenuated lower-midrange. Vocals contrast against the black background with utmost precision, but they lack the warmth and richness required to sound completely natural. Its upper-midrange is actually less accentuated than that of the Encore, but it has a tremendous amount of air, clarity and edge because of its upper-treble presentation.

It lifts higher than the Zeus and extends further too, but the lack of a natural tone will make it more fatiguing, and it becomes harder to maintain a mental image of the soundstage in these conditions. The Fourte’s stage is large, but lacks a sense of solidity when compared to the Zeus, most likely due to the linearity and coherence in the latter’s response. All in all, the Fourte is far and away the superior technical performer - even if merely by virtue of its technological achievements. But, if you’re looking for a more pleasing signature that’s natural, organic, and definitely isn’t lagging behind in sound quality - plus the benefits of a custom fit IEM - then the Zeus is the one for you.

Great analysis, as usual.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #9,818 of 40,582
I have demoed the Effect Audio Horus on the VE8 recently. It removed the thin sheet of silk that is covering the music compared to stock cable. At the same time, while the using the stock cable, it sounds like I am sitting on the front row, using the Horus make the VE8 sounds like I am sitting in the 3-5th row. Just can't wait to see what will happen if I paired the Horus with Zeus-XR verus the Ares II with the Zeus-XR.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #9,819 of 40,582
I have demoed the Effect Audio Horus on the VE8 recently. It removed the thin sheet of silk that is covering the music compared to stock cable. At the same time, while the using the stock cable, it sounds like I am sitting on the front row, using the Horus make the VE8 sounds like I am sitting in the 3-5th row. Just can't wait to see what will happen if I paired the Horus with Zeus-XR verus the Ares II with the Zeus-XR.

I definitely agree with your impressions. Aftermarket cables tend to takeaway from the warmth and engagement of the VE8. If I ever do get one, I’d probably pair it with something like the 2-wire 1960s or the PlusSound GPC to retain that body and weight.

Dec 27, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #9,820 of 40,582
I definitely agree with your impressions. Aftermarket cables tend to takeaway from the warmth and engagement of the VE8. If I ever do get one, I’d probably pair it with something like the 2-wire 1960s or the PlusSound GPC to retain that body and weight.
The gpc also pairs well with the spartans

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #9,821 of 40,582
Zeus pairs nicely with the 150$ pwaudio no5 cable (4-braid)

seeing people say that a 2500$ ciem finally sounds great when paired with a 2000$ cable , makes me feel sad & sorry for them

if i need a cable like Horus to make my 2K ciem sound good - well then my 2k ciem is probably not so TOTL after all

i would love t try the 1960s 2-wire , but to spend 1000$ for a cable seems like a bad joke to this semi-empty wallet of mine

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #9,822 of 40,582

seeing people say that a 2500$ ciem finally sounds great when paired with a 2000$ cable , makes me feel sad & sorry for them

if i need a cable like Horus to make my 2K ciem sound good - well then my 2k ciem is probably not so TOTL after all

i would love t try the 1960s 2-wire , but to spend 1000$ for a cable seems like a bad joke to this semi-empty wallet of mine

Yup. I don't own the VE8 and I don't and will never have the luxury to own an Effect Audio Horus.
But it is free of charge to demo the Horus at e earphone and even Mars + Leonidas 4 / 8.
So I cannot say no when I see these insane cables sitting on the shelf.
I guess I am helping them to burn-in the Horus as I rarely see anyone "brave" enough to listen to them. I do believe TOTL iem will scales with good sources and cables if they pair well with each other. Effect Audio makes good cables, that's why I give them my respect by demoing their flagship product with the best sources and best IEMs such as EE Custom Zeus-XR .

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #9,823 of 40,582

It’s not a matter of making an IEM finally sound great; it’s making a great IEM sound awesome. :D

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #9,824 of 40,582
''It (Horus) removed the thin sheet of silk that is covering the music compared to stock cable.''

doesn't sound that great to me , here.

but this is capitalism and if you have the money to spend on a 2K cable , good for you :grin:

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #9,825 of 40,582
''It (Horus) removed the thin sheet of silk that is covering the music compared to stock cable.''

doesn't sound that great to me , here.

but this is capitalism and if you have the money to spend on a 2K cable , good for you :grin:

I think he was just saying that the VE8 sounds clearer with the Horus, which I can agree with, considering it does the same thing to the Zeus. He never said anything about the VE8 sounding subpar without the Horus. As someone who’s actually heard the VE8, it is just as excellent as the Zeus is, and the latter benefits as much from a cable like the Horus as the VE8 does.

By the way, when I was talking about making a great IEM sound awesome, I was talking about the Zeus; not the VE8. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back