Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 25, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #9,781 of 40,658
Sounds to me like EE is really moving forward and refining what can be done with custom drivers. It seems to be the difference when companies are having drivers built to spec like speaker manufactures stared to do in the 80's. They can get whatever sound signature they desire with some tweeking etc... This is great news for us all. The best part in IEM world is that you guys love different sound signatures and it seems to me, based on the little we've heard now, that EE's has found a way to make three truly top of the line IEM's that are of reference quality, but differ just enough that folks will want them all. Pretty neat if you ask me. I think that's why I'm so excited for the release, but like everyone else, will have to wait just a bit still as they refine and ramp up.

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #9,782 of 40,658
Sounds to me like EE is really moving forward and refining what can be done with custom drivers. It seems to be the difference when companies are having drivers built to spec like speaker manufactures stared to do in the 80's. They can get whatever sound signature they desire with some tweeking etc... This is great news for us all. The best part in IEM world is that you guys love different sound signatures and it seems to me, based on the little we've heard now, that EE's has found a way to make three truly top of the line IEM's that are of reference quality, but differ just enough that folks will want them all. Pretty neat if you ask me. I think that's why I'm so excited for the release, but like everyone else, will have to wait just a bit still as they refine and ramp up.

Most manufacturers agree that current off-the-shelf BA’s have been pushed to their limits. Custom-spec’d drivers (and innovative acoustic implementations of drivers) are the future, and I too can’t wait for EE’s future releases. :D

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #9,783 of 40,658
Most manufacturers agree that current off-the-shelf BA’s have been pushed to their limits. Custom-spec’d drivers (and innovative acoustic implementations of drivers) are the future, and I too can’t wait for EE’s future releases. :D
Yeah, me too! Can't wait for the release of the Empire Ears "Hagelslag", as I am sure those will sound delicious! :D

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #9,785 of 40,658
seems some major players are getting into hybrid, i had the lola before, doesn't like it that much. i went back to my layla, and now i ordered a zeus xr adel.
but i am still wondering what is the difference with 64's a18? no offense, can someone please explain a bit.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #9,786 of 40,658
i didn't have a chance to try the u18 when i was in the shop.
bu ti did try 335 & sr version, ve8, flamingo, i liked the sound of xr adel more, it is more live and dynamic, less laid back (lazy) than ve8.

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #9,787 of 40,658
seems some major players are getting into hybrid, i had the lola before, doesn't like it that much. i went back to my layla, and now i ordered a zeus xr adel.
but i am still wondering what is the difference with 64's a18? no offense, can someone please explain a bit.

Based on memory, the XRA and the A18 actually have a similarly bright and lean signature. I'd point out that they have differing midrange presentations; the XRA has the more forward, bodied and better-layered midrange, even though the ADEL module takes away some of the heft that the non-ADEL XR has. Bass is also much greater in quantity, speed and impact on the A18, with much better sub-bass rumble and mid-bass punch. The A18 has the more extended and tizzy treble, but the XRA has the more natural tone, even though both are certainly brighter than natural overall.

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #9,788 of 40,658
Based on memory, the XRA and the A18 actually have a similarly bright and lean signature. I'd point out that they have differing midrange presentations; the XRA has the more forward, bodied and better-layered midrange, even though the ADEL module takes away some of the heft that the non-ADEL XR has. Bass is also much greater in quantity, speed and impact on the A18, with much better sub-bass rumble and mid-bass punch. The A18 has the more extended and tizzy treble, but the XRA has the more natural tone, even though both are certainly brighter than natural overall.
I would agree. I think a couple of the biggest differences are the soundstage of the U18 is larger and the amount of bass presence in the U18 is deeper with rumble. I was not a fan of XRA, thus the reshell to non Adel. I do really enjoy the XR, and overall I like it more than the U18.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #9,789 of 40,658
The Zeus is more of a reference IEM, somewhat like the UERM. No one frequency overwhelms any other frequency. Hence the transparency of the sound. It's got bass when the music does, but when you listen with it your first thought is not, "wow, what bass!" It's, rather, "wow, I can hear all of the trebles and all of the mids and all of the basses." It's not colored, which is why it is so special. Clarity and transparency of sound is its key. If you are a person who wants to say "wow, what bass," it's probably not for you.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #9,790 of 40,658
The Zeus is more of a reference IEM, somewhat like the UERM. No one frequency overwhelms any other frequency. Hence the transparency of the sound. It's got bass when the music does, but when you listen with it your first thought is not, "wow, what bass!" It's, rather, "wow, I can hear all of the trebles and all of the mids and all of the basses." It's not colored, which is why it is so special. Clarity and transparency of sound is its key. If you are a person who want to say "wow, what bass," it's probably not for you.
Exactly...well said.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #9,791 of 40,658
The Zeus is more of a reference IEM, somewhat like the UERM. No one frequency overwhelms any other frequency. Hence the transparency of the sound. It's got bass when the music does, but when you listen with it your first thought is not, "wow, what bass!" It's, rather, "wow, I can hear all of the trebles and all of the mids and all of the basses." It's not colored, which is why it is so special. Clarity and transparency of sound is its key. If you are a person who wants to say "wow, what bass," it's probably not for you.

While I would say that it’s not my personal definition of neutral - given the forwardness of the lower midrange and the lower treble peak - it is resolving enough for professional work for sure.

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #9,793 of 40,658
Yes, you are right.
Zeus has no WOW effect ... you only listen to MUSIC....

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #9,794 of 40,658

Exactly sound signature i'm looking for. Comparing with the kaiser encore, the difference only slight bass on the encore right? I'm 50/50 on these 2 iem as I don't have a chance to auditioned both.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #9,795 of 40,658
I find a lot of "WOW" with the Zeus. It's just not a rumbling bass-centric WOW, it's a "I hear everything clearly from bottom to top" WOW.

Sorry, I haven't heard the Kaiser. I bought the Zeus after doing a lot of reading about the sound signatures of various IEMs. A good place to do so is the thread I'm linking to here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ran...ut-introduction-and-reviews-on-page-1.826876/

Maybe someone on this thread can compare the two for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back