Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 21, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #9,751 of 40,577
Now to chose the color and face choices. hmmmm..... Love carbon fiber and also the abalone. So many look so great though.

We all go the same route every time when we place an order :D. So many choices.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #9,752 of 40,577
Although I really hope I can receive my Custom Zeus-XR that I ordered during BlackFriday asap, it is very important for the fantastic crew at Empire Ears to have a good rest during the Christmas Holiday, so they are fully charged and ready to produce more fantastic IEMs. Hope the Crew at EE will take a good rest and Merry Christmas.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #9,753 of 40,577
Although I really hope I can receive my Custom Zeus-XR that I ordered during BlackFriday asap, it is very important for the fantastic crew at Empire Ears to have a good rest during the Christmas Holiday, so they are fully charged and ready to produce more fantastic IEMs. Hope the Crew at EE will take a good rest and Merry Christmas.

According to EE's website, they'll be on a Christmas break from today to the 2nd of January 2018. So, it shouldn't take too long. :)

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #9,754 of 40,577
According to EE's website, they'll be on a Christmas break from today to the 2nd of January 2018. So, it shouldn't take too long. :)

I ordered the CIEM Spartan IV on 11/24 and my impression arrived a week later. They informed that it will be built about 4-5 weeks. So I am expecting I will get them around mid January 2018.

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #9,755 of 40,577
missed the black friday sales, is it going to be a x'mas or new year sales?
i am planning to acquire one CM version of EA, struggliing between R or XR, Adel or non Adel.
Looking back for the review, still can't decide

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #9,756 of 40,577
i am planning to acquire one CM version of EA, struggliing between R or XR, Adel or non Adel.

In my experience, EE have never held such sales. Personally, if you're between what iteration of the Zeus to go for, if you have the extra cash, go for the XR. It gives you two different, equally-fantastic presentations to choose from at a reasonable extra cost. If you're stuck between ADEL and non-ADEL, I should redirect you to my consortium of quotes and re-quotes that I've collected over the months...

I never thought I'd quote myself quoting myself... quoting myself, but alas, the question can never just die, can it? :p
I never thought I'd quote myself quoting myself, but here goes... P.S. If you're looking for measurements, @crinacle has them. But, as is customary with measurements, please read ALL of his disclaimers before using any of it as a reference. Happy reading! :D
Here are excerpts from impressions I've posted a while back on both this thread and Nic's Ranking the Stars thread:

"I had the chance to A/B the XR and the XRA for the very first time, and the differences between them were larger than I had anticipated. I felt the XR had more resolution, much sharper and more precise imaging, a blacker background with greater dynamism (due to the better isolation, I presume), better linearity and coherence, and an overall more intimate and focused sound. The XRA, on the other hand, felt more stretched out, resulting in a better feeling of immensity. However, this resulted in the XRA being less engaging, as the music is more out-of-head, rather than you being in it. The XRA also sounded less resolute, and I felt the masterful balance in tuning that the XR had, was somewhat tampered with, resulting in a less even and less realistic/natural sound. I'd say, the XRA is great if you'd rather sit back and let the music surround you, at the expense of utmost detail retrieval and tonality. On the other hand, the XR is fantastic if you want to actively enjoy/critically listen to your music with ultra-high levels of engagement, clarity, and superior imaging and transparency."

"The XR and the XRA have different signatures and different presentations. The XR is richer, more bodied, and more natural sounding than the XRA. The XRA has the impression of being more airy due to a sparklier treble and thinner lower midrange, even though the XR is pretty airy already. I find the custom XR to lack a tiny bit of air just in the treble; everywhere else it has air in spades. On the bright side, this allows the XR to be more forgiving with harsher recordings, while they get unapologetically destroyed by the XRA.

Presentation-wise, the XR is more focused with fantastic clarity, resolution, and pinpoint imaging. The XRA, on the other hand, has a wider and more euphonic presentation, with imaging that's less precise, because the instruments sound somewhat stretched all around you. Resolution is also not as prevalent because of a less black background, some incoherence in the lower midrange, and the aforementioned phenomena of having details stretched around you. A friend of mine who has the XRA claims the carrot module cannot fully convert an XRA into an XR, even if it can get close."

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #9,757 of 40,577

Wi
In my experience, EE have never held such sales. Personally, if you're between what iteration of the Zeus to go for, if you have the extra cash, go for the XR. It gives you two different, equally-fantastic presentations to choose from at a reasonable extra cost. If you're stuck between ADEL and non-ADEL, I should redirect you to my consortium of quotes and re-quotes that I've collected over the months...

I knew that quote within a quote chain that Dezzel quoted himself a million times about Adel vs Non Adel is coming.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #9,758 of 40,577
They are closed for the Holiday, so there is no sale. They will probably offer a discount at CanJams, so that might be a way to go.

I went for the XR for the exact reasons above and, while I prefer the XlV for most listening, the R is more suitable for enough of my music that I'm glad I have the choice.

ADEL? You need to read the thread. Lots of folks seem to like it, but there are also a fair amount that don't. Some have gone so far as to get a reshell. I would suggest doing due diligence on that one and slog through the thread. Personally, I didn't want it and didn't get it.

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #9,759 of 40,577

For the Zeus, there are two models. Zeus-R and Zeus-XIV. They offer two different sound signature. The Zeus-XR is a combination of two, you get a switch on the face of the earphone and you can switch between R and XIV whenever you like. IMO if you have not heard either of them in person, the Zeus-XR is the safer pick and it also gives much more versatility as you can switch between two signature for different music. I went for the Zeus-XR as I am already forking out 2K, why not take a quarter step further and get two sound signatures in 1 earphone?

Adel vs non-Adel. Depends if you want more sound isolation or an airier sound. I personally preferred the non-Adel.

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #9,760 of 40,577
would the switch be the factor of braking down after frequent using? this is also my concern

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #9,761 of 40,577
would the switch be the factor of braking down after frequent using? this is also my concern

Switch:
Even the switch on the demo of a shop has not broken as the customers vigorously demo the Zeus-XR. So I would not worry about the switch breaking.

Adel:
However, the one of MAM module of the Zeus-XR Adel at the shop is malfunctioned. If you go for the B / G module that is not adjustable, you will not have any problem / chance of breaking.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #9,762 of 40,577
sorry for my naive, what is MAM module?

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #9,763 of 40,577
sorry for my naive, what is MAM module?

MAM is Manual Adjustable Modules, one of the Adel modules you can choose for your Zeus- Adel. The other 2 modules are not adjustable. You just plug it in then you are off to go.

The picture below is a MAM module. You can turn the screws and adjust it.
ADEL_-_MAMs_-_EE.jpg

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #9,764 of 40,577

The switch they’re using is an industry standard, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I have switches installed on my Lime Ears Aether and they’re still working perfectly after two years of use.

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #9,765 of 40,577
The switch they’re using is an industry standard, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I have switches installed on my Lime Ears Aether and they’re still working perfectly after two years of use.

... and not just industry in general, but I believe a hearing aids industry which is held to a higher standards level :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back