Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 17, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #9,721 of 40,529
TON"S OF BUZZZZZZ>.....This is an exciting time. Sounds to me like two (or more?) great IEM's about to be released into the wild. Seems like they will all be great sounding IEM's along with the already great sounding Zeus. Can't wait, but I have to, lol...

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #9,722 of 40,529
Don't worry, a while ago Jack indicated that Zeus would be here to stay. Also, the new IEMs have a different tuning, which would make them more of a compliment, rather than a replacement. So you can enjoy your Zeus and sell the other kidney (who needs those anyway) for the Legend X or Phantom. :D
I think I'll keep my kidney and enjoy my Zeus (when it arrives) :)
Just didn't like the idea «if I had waited one or two month more, I would have ordered an even better IEM than the Best IEM (aka Zeus) :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #9,723 of 40,529
I think the new models were tuned without ADEL in mind. They each have a specific sound that doesn’t benefit from ADEL, but I shan’t say more than that. :) The Zeus is still the flagship of EE’s Olympus line. The Phantom and the Legend X are almost standalone products that don’t really fit into the mix. I can’t see why you couldn’t enjoy the Zeus-ADEL even if it’s no longer the flagship; it’s still a beautiful performer regardless of its status.

Also, I should remind you that the Legend X and the Phantom (especially) have had their prices corrected by Jack and Ryan, and neither of them are pricier than the Zeus. Not that that changes anything in the grand scheme of things, but sometimes it’s healthy to have a bit of vanity. :wink:
ADEL was my main motivation - besides SQ - to choose the Zeus, so no regrets...
And thank you for caring about my vanity :wink:

Dec 17, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #9,724 of 40,529
All of these IEM's have different sound sigs. There's no reason to assume that these are just "better" Zeus'. While they may be really nice (I certainly assume they will be, as EE doesn't seem to make non-"really nice" IEM's), you shouldn't be feeling that you made a mistake buying a Zeus. I've had mine for almost a month and I have no regrets. It's exactly what I hoped it would be. When yours arrive I think you will feel the same. If the Phantom comes in at the price point I'm seeing, then maybe at CanJam in April I'll take a listen and see if it interests me (with a CanJam discount). But I'm loving the Zeus and am keeping my kidney. :)

Dec 17, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #9,725 of 40,529
Guys, it sure sounds like we are hearing about EE's having 3 or 4 reference IEM's with different signatures. If you have Zeus of any type, it's probably going to be your favorite regardless. Will you want another one that has a different sound signature, then by all means get one of the newer ones once they are released. Don't just assume that your Zeus's aren't still reference quality.

Just keep realizing that Nic F has them in second place in his shootout and the cost is MUCH less (IMHO) than the 64's.

Dec 17, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #9,726 of 40,529
All of these IEM's have different sound sigs. There's no reason to assume that these are just "better" Zeus'. While they may be really nice (I certainly assume they will be, as EE doesn't seem to make non-"really nice" IEM's), you shouldn't be feeling that you made a mistake buying a Zeus. I've had mine for almost a month and I have no regrets. It's exactly what I hoped it would be. When yours arrive I think you will feel the same. If the Phantom comes in at the price point I'm seeing, then maybe at CanJam in April I'll take a listen and see if it interests me (with a CanJam discount). But I'm loving the Zeus and am keeping my kidney. :)
Good to read :)

Dec 17, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #9,727 of 40,529
Guys, it sure sounds like we are hearing about EE's having 3 or 4 reference IEM's with different signatures. If you have Zeus of any type, it's probably going to be your favorite regardless. Will you want another one that has a different sound signature, then by all means get one of the newer ones once they are released. Don't just assume that your Zeus's aren't still reference quality.

Just keep realizing that Nic F has them in second place in his shootout and the cost is MUCH less (IMHO) than the 64's.
Regardless of where they sit in a shootout, Jack said they are the TOTL and with these new releases that won't change. Remember it's all about the signature.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #9,728 of 40,529
The Legend used to be Empire's flagship back when they were known as EarWerkz. Specifically, they were called the Legend R and the Legend Omega (after the Onyx bass chamber was developed). Given its hybrid nature, I assume it'll begin a whole new line-up, and what better way to do so than resurrecting an old classic. :D The Phantom is a special case. I can't express this enough, but please wait for the official announcement before discussing the Phantom. There are elements of it that are very intriguing and exciting, but we can't say a word until Empire officially announces it.

waiting patiently...

1254478578_robot_hand.gif

Dec 17, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #9,729 of 40,529
TOTL doesn't always mean pleasing to your ears or in synergy with your DAP. There are a whole lot of TOTL's out there that you may not enjoy as much as, say, the Zeus you just bought. So if new ones come out, even from EE, it doesn't mean better, it just means different. In the IEM shootout, Zeus was - Gasp - second. and yet, from everything I've read about 1st, I don't want it. Had Zeus been 5th, I still might have wanted it more than the first four. Top of the toppermost isn't always best. Most expensive isn't always best. Everyone relax, these two new ones aren't even out yet, still pre-production, not even a firm price yet, very little in the way of reviews, so......

Part of the problem with this hobby is the constant need to have the newest. It's hard sometimes to just relax and realize that what you have is the best for you.

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #9,731 of 40,529
i am sure that in a week or two we will see @flinkenick reviewing them both and then many puppies will have to be given as present to people's wives/girlfriends

Phantom seems like da bomb , very curious to see more reviews about it and see its final pricing

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #9,732 of 40,529
i am sure that in a week or two we will see @flinkenick reviewing them both and then many puppies will have to be given as present to peple's wifes/girlfriends

Phantom seems like da bomb , very curious to see more reviews about it

You'll have to wait quite a bit longer than a week or two, but trust me, both announcements will be very much worth the wait. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #9,733 of 40,529
It truly is a great time for this hobby. Technology is pushing forward and delivering the consumer some high quality goods. Companies like EE and CA deserve a lot of props for their offerings.

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #9,734 of 40,529
It truly is a great time for this hobby. Technology is pushing forward and delivering the consumer some high quality goods. Companies like EE and CA deserve a lot of props for their offerings.

And most important is that, EE and CA show mercy to our wallets...

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #9,735 of 40,529
Guys, I only hear rumors, but I bet that things will be realistic for what they are offering. The biggest reason I'm even over here is because I feel strongly that EE offers the best values in each price range. I was already to pull the trigger on the Noble Kaiser Encore, but after extensive research I found out about EE. Im' totally new to portable audio, so I read adn learn from each one you as I go on my journey.

I love portable audio/or IEM home systems. You guys want a new sound signature and all you have to so is get a pair or Spartans or a Zeus and you are still under 2k. You want a new DAP and it costs only 3500 or so for the TOTL (depending on your tastes).

I"m a 2 channel guy as you all know by now. I have reviewed, for fun when I'm physically able to, in that world since I was a kid (early 70's). I was the one everyone came to to get their systems in middle school and high school. Then it got even more serious etc.... Right now in order to make major differences in your systems all you need to do is spend under 2k. When you sell, you probably lose less than 1k. That's all a ton of money, but honestly, these were the costs in 2 channel back in the 70's, lol.

I was texting with a close friend of mine all weekend. He is 'upgrading', which is as big a bug in 2 channel as it is here. He is selling off a pair of Joesph Audio speakers that he bought new for 12k usd (I'm sure he got around a 20% discount, so it was around 10k) and now will probably only get around 8k if he is even able to move them. He probably loses over 20k a year in buying and selling (used when possible) gear to review and then post about. He's a surgeon and can afford it or he wouldn't do it. That's irrelevant though as he does it for the same reason's we all do it. We are addicted to either the gear or the music. Most of us on this board seem to be into teh music as much as the gear. Those are the three types of audiophile that I speak about.

Think about who you are. Don't kill yourself to enjoy your music. No livers or kidney's or hearts need to be sold to afford what you want. That's what makes this so awesome. I 2 channel there is ONE product in each price range that is their 1 and only. That's what makes it so cool to be over here. Personally I love the choices we all have and companies like EE and a few others realize that there are so many different ears adn they can cater to each one. How many times have I heard a Vandersteen speaker (to my ears the best speaker line in the world for each price range as they are competitive with speakers costing more than twice their range and their sales since 1979 prove it) that sounds awesome on anything, but I have loved a pair of someone else's speakers when rocking out. In this world all you need to do is swap out an IEM and if you love one company you can even use an IEM from the SAME company. My 2 channel buddies are in shock when I share that with them. Again, thanks for letting me play

Users who are viewing this thread

Back