Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 27, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #9,872 of 40,582
It is very very important to understand that just because ADEL may not be ideal for a sepcific IEM, ie. Zeus, doesn't mean it isn't good for others. For example, Adel/Apex sounded incredible in the 64 Audio U12. So my advice would be to find someone that has firsthand experience with the specific IEM you are interested in.

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #9,873 of 40,582
true, i have my xra ordered with comments reviewed from all bros here

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #9,874 of 40,582
it is amazing that the reviews for xr without adel seems much more than 64 u18t.
would u18t not have the issue of losing the clarity separation, bass,........?
does it apply ea is less good than 64?

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #9,875 of 40,582
it is amazing that the reviews for xr without adel seems much more than 64 u18t.
would u18t not have the issue of losing the clarity separation, bass,........?
does it apply ea is less good than 64?

No, because 64Audio does not offer the U/A18 without APEX, so no such argument can be made. The U/A18’s main weaknesses to me and to other reviewers I know (such as @flinkenick) is its average stage organisation and lack of lower-midrange warmth; both symptoms of ADEL/APEX modules. ADEL actually helps improve clarity, because it accentuates the upper treble to create the sensation of more detail; what ADEL takes away is resolution or the ability to take that detail and form a solid coherent image. When it comes to resolution, the XR trumps the U18, but the U18 has more clarity because of its leaner lower-midrange and accentuated Tia-driven treble. Personally, I’ve tried using the U18 with a carrot module and it gave the U18 a more natural tone and a more coherent stage, at the cost of some treble sparkle, stage openness and air. So, it’s not a matter of one being better than the other; it’s a matter of one company offering the option while the other doesn’t, and how each IEM has their own gives and takes.

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #9,876 of 40,582
thanks for your detail explanation.
this is what i been looking up for. adel or not.

and i finally paid for adel
not just becaue of the price is less than a18, but zeus does have better ares II cable which a18 only with a nobody cable (someone said from other forum), very good CS from jack,......
i am wondering if i shall upgrade to ares II+ before i receive my xra

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #9,878 of 40,582
this is what i was told and from here in this forum lately

Dec 28, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #9,880 of 40,582
oh, they should be all copper wire, right?
any preference suggested in ranking? i think i couldn't choose brand for my order.

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #9,881 of 40,582
oh, they should be all copper wire, right?
any preference suggested in ranking? i think i couldn't choose brand for my order.

They’re all copper indeed. You can check out reviews of all theee cables and comparisons between them on TheHeadphoneList.com. All you have to do is go to @flinkenick’s author page and they should be there ready to read.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #9,883 of 40,582
I confess I haven't heard any iterations of ADEL, but I do find it glaringly apparent that very few people on Head-fi seem willing to compromise even 1 inch on absolute sound quality, even if it means protecting their hearing an inch!

I mean, sure, audiophiles are uncompromising by nature, but what's the point in having the absolute last inch of SQ if, several years down the line, your ears become incapable of hearing the difference?
It amazes me how utterly irrelevant that seems to be to so many people here on Head-fi.

I don't have a horse in this particular race, and I don't view ADEL as a magic solution, but, as a rational person who cares about my hearing, I would much rather compromise just a little if it improved my chances of healthy longterm hearing.

Please note that this isn't a rant. It's simply remarking on the bizarreness of the apparent status quo on these forums.
Do you have any proof or peer review about Adel protecting your hearing?

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #9,884 of 40,582
Do you have any proof or peer review about Adel protecting your hearing?

I wrote the following right after his post:

"...As someone who has an ADEL-equipped IEM and has compared it with the non-ADEL variant, I can say its health benefits are very tangible. Personally, my left ear gets fatigued quicker than my right, and after an hour or so of listening to a non-ADEL IEM, I get pseudo channel imbalance, but in terms of dynamics and focus rather than volume or SPL. This never occurs with my ADEL IEM. Ear fatigue also sets in much slower with ADEL, maintaining sharp aural focus and consistent perceived listening levels for much longer.“

Users who are viewing this thread

Back