Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 28, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #9,902 of 40,582
Or... turn your music down a bit and let your ears accommodate to the lower volume. Soon it will sound perfect and your ears won't get as tired as quickly. Moderation in everything is key. Not that I always followed that dictum when I was younger but now, looking back, I wish that I had. :) Although I did have a lot of fun along the way.

Side note: when I was maybe 20-21 I saw the band Cream (with Eric Clapton) at The Filmore or Winterland (can't recall which) on its first tour of America. They had so much amp and speaker power that when the show was over and I went out to my car to go home, I turned on the engine and couldn't hear if it was on or not. Had to put it in gear to see if it moved. Now this wasn't some nice padded/insulted 1967 American car. Nope, 1960 VW Bus with bare metal throughout (no headliner, nothing). Sounded like being in a blender. And I couldn't hear it at all. Took an hour for my hearing to settle down and a full day for it to recover completely. That was probably not moderation. :)

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #9,903 of 40,582
Thanks to the modul adel, the music sounds more airy and painless.

I would like to plug the hole of the adel module to gain isolation.

I think if you plug the hole you lose ADEL. Anyone?

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #9,904 of 40,582
I am quoting this so you can read to understand more how any noises can damage the hearing:

“The real problem is that MP3 players have the ability to blast 104 decibels (dB) straight into the ears – equivalent of standing next to a pneumatic drill (110dB). In fact, any level above 90dB can cause long-term damage to hearing.”
Everyone knows noises damage the hearing. I even said it in my post. Did you even read my post? If the dB level remains the same, I fail to see how relieving pneumatic pressure changes anything.

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #9,906 of 40,582
please do share more 60s/70s rnr stories from SF days

cheers

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #9,907 of 40,582
Everyone knows noises damage the hearing. I even said it in my post. Did you even read my post? If the dB level remains the same, I fail to see how relieving pneumatic pressure changes anything.

There was a very comprehensive and scientific post in the shootout thread about this very issue. Don't you remember Lawrence Lee's post?

Well actually there is some merit to the concept of it. Hearing loss and protection has been something that I've been personally interested in. For those who may not know, UM's not really my primary focus in life, and I'm actually currently a medical student and work in a research lab that targets the mechanism of hearing loss as part of the school curriculum. I'd love to share my thoughts on this issue through my, admittedly limited, medical background while keeping any bias as an MOT out of the picture. Of course, I know that's not totally possible for everyone in the community to accept, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.

So first and foremost, yes listening to music at 140 dB causes hearing loss, and is the primary cause of hearing loss. There's no argument to be made there. Individuals, especially of my generation, are probably the biggest offenders and contributors to hearing loss by blasting their ear drums to oblivion. But it's also important to note the mechanism in which that occurs and how acoustic pressure differs from air pressure.

I'm sure many people are familiar with this already, but breaking it down to the basics, your awareness of your surroundings can be broken down into two part - sensation and perception. Sensation is your physical connection to the world, like touching a hot stove, and perception is how your brain interprets that signal as something that's going to hurt your hand. When you're listening to music at dangerously high volumes, you're not only risking damaging the stereocilia in your cochlea, but you risk affecting the sensitivity of the action potentials of those cells. When you drink coffee, your body desensitizes and learns to deal with it. Similar story with loud listening noises, except that the effects are more permanent.

On the topic of pneumatic pressure, I'd like to start by saying that I'm not the biggest fan of using that term in this scenario. The term is technically correct, but I feel is really more associated with mechanical engineering and such. It makes everything sound a bit too scary. Anyways, air pressure can damage the mechanism in which you sense the sound signal itself. That's called ear barotrauma. It also sounds a bit scarier than it really is, as it's otherwise known as airplane ear and is something that is, well, not serious at all. Your body's able to normalize the pressure between your middle ear and canal by opening the pharyngotympanic tube, AKA when you yawn or swallow. Continuous exposure to air pressure can lead to hearing impairment, but even then, the effects are generally reversible and not a big issue. So why bother bringing this up then? Because chronic ear barotrauma can be linked with permanent hearing damage and in rare cases may need to be fixed surgically. When you're plugging and unplugging your IEMs in and out multiple times a day, you're exposing your ears to changes in pressure. Not to mention the fact that basic facial movements change the shape of your canal, and the pressure of your ear canal as a result. Imagine a vocalist (or someone who enjoys singing along) singing for 2 or 3 hours straight exposing themselves to that constant change in air pressure. Rinse and repeat, and those things can add up. If you have a custom or a deeper inserting IEM, you could find that the tonality of the IEM changes when you raise your eyebrows or when you open your mouth, or that the sound is straight up at a lower volume. That's due to the change in pressure in your ear canal physically impeding the tympanic membrane's ability to sense the signal.

Just some food for thought and maybe some info that people may find helpful or interesting. I certainly don't blame individuals who view it with skepticism, but, again, I do think there's merit to the concept and that the science is sound (ha.... get it?...).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #9,908 of 40,582
There was a very comprehensive and scientific post in the shootout thread about this very issue. Don't you remember Lawrence Lee's post?
Thanks I had missed that one. Very interesting. So the principle is valid. Now to play skeptic until the end, I wonder if it has been demonstrated in the case of iems that this effect is significant, and that the Adel tech had significant benefits.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #9,909 of 40,582
Was it David Crosby who said, if you can remember the 60's you weren't there? Never did agree with him on that.

OK. When I was 16 I washed dishes in a folk/jazz club located in a beached side-wheeler boat named the Charles Van Damme and Crosby used to come in and play there (before he joined the Byrds). He used to have me put his guitar somewhere safe while he made the rounds (lots of females of appropriate and inappropriate ages there, including many from my high school). Dino Valenti (Chet Powers) who wrote "(C'mon People) Let's Get Together" played at the same club. His tastes ran more to the inappropriate side. I used to give him and his harem (from my high school) rides in my bus to wherever he was taking them. In fact, I went to high school with Bill Champlin and George Duke, and John and Mario Cipollina (Quicksilver Messenger Service and Huey Lewis And The News) Hugh Cregg (Huey Lewis), and others came through our schools slightly before or after me. Tupac went to my school, but somewhat later. Many of the original mountain bikers were also from there. After I graduated in '65, lots of rockers came to my town to play and live, so I could hear, say, Michael Bloomfield and his band The Electric Flag playing above my house up in the hills. Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane lived a couple of blocks away from me and would lend me records to listen to. I was a photographer, so many players would have me/let me come to shows with them. Nice insular small artist's town. Everyone knew everyone, everyone talked to everyone, no us and them. Of course it didn't last, money came in, town went to the yuppies and east coasters, actors moved in, and it all changed. But for a while there it was heaven.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #9,910 of 40,582
Then why does any medical or respected scientific review talk about Adel. I’m a the medical field but never heard about pneumatic pressure when it’s come to hearing impairments.

I don’t personally know; I’m not in the medical field. I was simply giving you my impressions of how ADEL has helped prolong my ears’ stamina against fatigue. Especially when critically listening, it helps me perceive a larger amount if aural information at once for longer periods of time. It has also helped me combat the quick fatigue my left ear experiences that pans images somewhat to the right. This is my peer review; the one that you asked for.

To be honest I agree with this : Noise Induced Hearing Loss is triggered by the sounds above 85-90db creating lesions on the cilia. Pressure release should reduce tympan pain, but not necessarily potential hearing loss. I am not a pro just guessing.

I don’t associate the benefits of ADEL much to hearing loss - given the lack of isolation ADEL causes possibly inducing hearing loss as users attempt to counteract it with more SPL - but I do see it as a way of maintaining aural focus without stressing your brain/ears too much. In that way, it is beneficial for my health personally, but again, it has mixed effects in sound, and it is best used in specific scenarios only.

Or... turn your music down a bit and let your ears accommodate to the lower volume. Soon it will sound perfect and your ears won't get as tired as quickly. Moderation in everything is key. Not that I always followed that dictum when I was younger but now, looking back, I wish that I had. :) Although I did have a lot of fun along the way.

Side note: when I was maybe 20-21 I saw the band Cream (with Eric Clapton) at The Filmore or Winterland (can't recall which) on its first tour of America. They had so much amp and speaker power that when the show was over and I went out to my car to go home, I turned on the engine and couldn't hear if it was on or not. Had to put it in gear to see if it moved. Now this wasn't some nice padded/insulted 1967 American car. Nope, 1960 VW Bus with bare metal throughout (no headliner, nothing). Sounded like being in a blender. And I couldn't hear it at all. Took an hour for my hearing to settle down and a full day for it to recover completely. That was probably not moderation. :)

Yeah, before ADEL, I made it a priority to lower the volumes I was listening to. After a couple weeks of adaptation, I managed to drop my listening volumes by 40-50% (in my DAP’s volume settings; not in SPL). With that said, it didn’t entirely eliminate ear fatigue due to the complete seal. I still get images that pan to the right every now and again, and I have to take my IEMs out and put them back in during long listening sessions. To me, ADEL is just a simple workaround against it. Clearly, I’m not an all-out advocate for it - otherwise I’d ignore its ill-effects on sound and own a Zeus XRA (and I’d use my Athena-ADEL more often :D) - but those are just my two cents.

Dec 29, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #9,911 of 40,582
Sound isolation has become my first priority. Sometimes I even consider putting on a 3M™ Peltor sound isolation headphone on top of my IEM to achieve the maximum level of sound isolation. That is why I choose Zeus without Adel.
518dv08n-IL._SX342_.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #9,912 of 40,582
There is actually a method my friend uses to temporarily remove the effect of adel on my Zeus XRA.
He has the carrot module, but both he and I agree that the carrot module does not restore the full, focused sound of Zeus XR, so he devised this method.
I'm pretty sure that it's effective and harmless to his Zeus, or any adel models.

To be honest the method he uses is pretty brainless. First he finds out which tube the Adel module uses. It's pretty easy to find out which tube it uses - just pull a single piece of hair (using bare hand, no needle/other tools of course) through the small aperture in the hole where the adel usually sits, and see which hole the hair comes out from.
Then he simply block it using a soft, dense and dry sponge from the ear canal side. Don't have to block the full length. Just about the first 5 mm will do.
He can take out the sponge whenever he wants, so long he leaves a little bit of the sponge outside. (Think of tampons.)

I guess you can also use stuff like blue-tac or even epoxy glue if you wanna permanently block the adel function.

It saves my friend the long waiting time and 550 USD of reshelling cost.

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #9,913 of 40,582
Then why does any medical or respected scientific review talk about Adel. I’m a the medical field but never heard about pneumatic pressure when it’s come to hearing impairments.
A general term you can check out is "airplane ear" (caused by the pressure fluctuations during flights). I developed the symptoms as a result of my CIEMs, probably in combination with tensing my jaw muscles (eg. grinding teeth), which resulted in my left eardrum getting pushed against the bone behind it and I effectively lost 50% of my hearing. It is a temporary condition caused by a pressure difference/pressure fluctuation, but had I continued to use my CIEMs as I did, it might well have caused permanent damage. Even now it took about six months to be pain free and I still need to be careful.

From my own experience, technology such as ADEL relieves the pressure fluctuations and avoids those specific issues. Although my next IEMs will be universals without ADEL, I would still like to get ADEL tech at some point, even if in the end it might be primarily because of the more "open-back"-type sound (I listen to a lot of classical music). So it depends a bit on the context, but I feel the technology can be very helpful and has advantages for certain types of music.

Dec 29, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #9,914 of 40,582
There is actually a method my friend uses to temporarily remove the effect of adel on my Zeus XRA.
He has the carrot module, but both he and I agree that the carrot module does not restore the full, focused sound of Zeus XR, so he devised this method.
I'm pretty sure that it's effective and harmless to his Zeus, or any adel models.

To be honest the method he uses is pretty brainless. First he finds out which tube the Adel module uses. It's pretty easy to find out which tube it uses - just pull a single piece of hair (using bare hand, no needle/other tools of course) through the small aperture in the hole where the adel usually sits, and see which hole the hair comes out from.
Then he simply block it using a soft, dense and dry sponge from the ear canal side. Don't have to block the full length. Just about the first 5 mm will do.
He can take out the sponge whenever he wants, so long he leaves a little bit of the sponge outside. (Think of tampons.)

I guess you can also use stuff like blue-tac or even epoxy glue if you wanna permanently block the adel function.

It saves my friend the long waiting time and 550 USD of reshelling cost.

Thank you for this solution
I think a safer solution using patafix to see.

Dec 29, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #9,915 of 40,582
Well, in my efforts to come up with a solution to get the best isolation possible, I've come up with what you see below. I make an eight-hour playlist, get the battery fully charged, wrap up tight over the player and wires with my Zeus in my ears, have my wife pulley me into my sarcophagus and lower the lid. No microphonics, barking dogs, car or airplane noises, kid yelling, etc. to get in the way of my listening pleasure. Of course I have to breath through a straw, which I can hear, and I can also hear my blood coursing through my veins. And I have all of those stray thoughts that get in the way of my clarity of listening. But I think I may have a way to remove those obstacles as well, all at the same time. Then it's just me and my music. :)

1443849-Wrapped-Egyptian-Mummy-0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back