Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 30, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #9,931 of 40,587
I like the Effect Audio x Music Sanctuary Eos with the Zeus. That would probably be my choice for performance-per-dollar.
searched the Eos, is this the difference use of exotic Japanese high grade platinum solder and the highest quality Furutech connectors?

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #9,932 of 40,587
Dec 30, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #9,933 of 40,587
just curious if effect's made in china?

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #9,935 of 40,587
what is the difference for a 4 wires and 8 wires, say for ares II?
my questions are
1.worth to upgrade?
2. upgrade to II+ or others from effect's brand
as i can ask for upgrade from ares II.
thanks first

Dec 30, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #9,936 of 40,587
what is the difference for a 4 wires and 8 wires, say for ares II?
my questions are
1.worth to upgrade?
2. upgrade to II+ or others from effect's brand
as i can ask for upgrade from ares II.
thanks first

I haven't heard the 8-wire Ares II in a while, but from what I can remember, it offers a more open sound with more air and headroom. However, when we start jumping to 8-wire braids, ergonomics also have to be considered; would you mind the weight and the girth of an 8-wire cable in daily use? The Ares II+ has a very different sound signature compared to the Ares II. It's a richer, heavier and bassier cable with less treble sparkle, midrange transparency and speed. The II+ has a warmer, heftier and more laidback presentation, which won't be to your liking if you already like what the Ares II has to offer. If you're looking for the most natural upgrade from the Ares II (i.e. a similar signature with improved technical performance) the Eos should be your choice. I also love the Effect Audio Lionheart with the Zeus because it adds a beautiful tone to the midrange, as well as a cohesiveness and a liquidity that binds the elements of the Zeus's soundstage together for a more analog, tube-like presentation.

Dec 30, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #9,938 of 40,587
That would depend on your source DAP. I went from silver plated copper to copper using my SP1000. Your A is darker, I believe. So if you want more detail and treble, silver would certainly brighten things up. How much is the question. I'd be cautious going full silver unless you are sure you really like things brighter. And I'm not sure it would make you happy with the mids and lows. Maybe someone else will weigh in who's tried it with an A.

Dec 30, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #9,939 of 40,587
That would depend on your source DAP. I went from silver plated copper to copper using my SP1000. Your A is darker, I believe. So if you want more detail and treble, silver would certainly brighten things up. How much is the question. I'd be cautious going full silver unless you are sure you really like things brighter. And I'm not sure it would make you happy with the mids and lows. Maybe someone else will weigh in who's tried it with an A.
I just received Plussound EXO copper 4.4 TRRS. It sounds a bit brighter then Ares II SE. Will let the cable burn in and see how it goes.

Dec 30, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #9,940 of 40,587
From my own experience, technology such as ADEL relieves the pressure fluctuations and avoids those specific issues. Although my next IEMs will be universals without ADEL, I would still like to get ADEL tech at some point, even if in the end it might be primarily because of the more "open-back"-type sound (I listen to a lot of classical music). So it depends a bit on the context, but I feel the technology can be very helpful and has advantages for certain types of music.[/QUOTE]
If this was true, open air concerts would not cause hearing impairments.
No matter you use Adel or not, if the SPL is high, you’ll get ear damage.
The claims that Adel protects the hearing are dangerous, because they could make people neglect the danger of high SPL just because they have an IEM with Adel.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #9,941 of 40,587
A general term you can check out is "airplane ear" (caused by the pressure fluctuations during flights). I developed the symptoms as a result of my CIEMs, probably in combination with tensing my jaw muscles (eg. grinding teeth), which resulted in my left eardrum getting pushed against the bone behind it and I effectively lost 50% of my hearing. It is a temporary condition caused by a pressure difference/pressure

Dude, i knew the world of headfi was full of made up facts and fairy tales, but this one fill me with awe. CIEM has nothing to do with this. It’s cause by an imbalance of the pressure between the middle ear and external ear. Whether one uses CIEM or not, it’s not gonna solve or cause the problem. I treat people with ear effusion almost every day.

Dec 30, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #9,942 of 40,587
If this was true, open air concerts would not cause hearing impairments.
No matter you use Adel or not, if the SPL is high, you’ll get ear damage.
The claims that Adel protects the hearing are dangerous, because they could make people neglect the danger of high SPL just because they have an IEM with Adel.

Nowhere in any of ADEL's marketing - or in any of our posts regarding ADEL - is it ever mentioned that ADEL somehow makes you immune to the effects of excessive SPL. It's about as stupid as someone putting on oven mits and placing their hands in a raging furnace because the mits "protect you from heat." I even made it a point that ADEL's loss in isolation and resolution may encourage users to increase listening volumes and counteract the benefits of ADEL. This is why I recommended ADEL users either get used to the isolation drop, or only use ADEL IEMs in quieter environments.

How ADEL claims to protect your hearing is by allowing you to maintain higher perceived listening volumes for longer periods of time. In my experience, when I listen to non-ADEL IEMs and hearing fatigue starts to set in, it becomes more difficult to focus during critical listening and everything suddenly sounds more "dull". The first impulse is to then increase the volume, exposing the user to increasingly-dangerous SPL. Now, don't get me wrong, this does occur with ADEL IEMs too if you listen for extremely long periods of time at a moderate-to-high loudness level, but it happens at a slower rate.

Now, unfortunately, subjective personal impressions are as far as I can go with regards to ADEL, because I lack the scientific know-how to talk about it at a technical scale. However, now that @PinkyPowers has introduced @Cotnijoe's statements regarding ADEL - which are by far the most technical yet - into the thread, I'd like to know your perspective as someone in the field of medicine; is what Lawrence is saying sensible and factually correct, or are there inaccuracies in his argument that we should take note of? The post is below:
Well actually there is some merit to the concept of it. Hearing loss and protection has been something that I've been personally interested in. For those who may not know, UM's not really my primary focus in life, and I'm actually currently a medical student and work in a research lab that targets the mechanism of hearing loss as part of the school curriculum. I'd love to share my thoughts on this issue through my, admittedly limited, medical background while keeping any bias as an MOT out of the picture. Of course, I know that's not totally possible for everyone in the community to accept, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.

So first and foremost, yes listening to music at 140 dB causes hearing loss, and is the primary cause of hearing loss. There's no argument to be made there. Individuals, especially of my generation, are probably the biggest offenders and contributors to hearing loss by blasting their ear drums to oblivion. But it's also important to note the mechanism in which that occurs and how acoustic pressure differs from air pressure.

I'm sure many people are familiar with this already, but breaking it down to the basics, your awareness of your surroundings can be broken down into two part - sensation and perception. Sensation is your physical connection to the world, like touching a hot stove, and perception is how your brain interprets that signal as something that's going to hurt your hand. When you're listening to music at dangerously high volumes, you're not only risking damaging the stereocilia in your cochlea, but you risk affecting the sensitivity of the action potentials of those cells. When you drink coffee, your body desensitizes and learns to deal with it. Similar story with loud listening noises, except that the effects are more permanent.

On the topic of pneumatic pressure, I'd like to start by saying that I'm not the biggest fan of using that term in this scenario. The term is technically correct, but I feel is really more associated with mechanical engineering and such. It makes everything sound a bit too scary. Anyways, air pressure can damage the mechanism in which you sense the sound signal itself. That's called ear barotrauma. It also sounds a bit scarier than it really is, as it's otherwise known as airplane ear and is something that is, well, not serious at all. Your body's able to normalize the pressure between your middle ear and canal by opening the pharyngotympanic tube, AKA when you yawn or swallow. Continuous exposure to air pressure can lead to hearing impairment, but even then, the effects are generally reversible and not a big issue. So why bother bringing this up then? Because chronic ear barotrauma can be linked with permanent hearing damage and in rare cases may need to be fixed surgically. When you're plugging and unplugging your IEMs in and out multiple times a day, you're exposing your ears to changes in pressure. Not to mention the fact that basic facial movements change the shape of your canal, and the pressure of your ear canal as a result. Imagine a vocalist (or someone who enjoys singing along) singing for 2 or 3 hours straight exposing themselves to that constant change in air pressure. Rinse and repeat, and those things can add up. If you have a custom or a deeper inserting IEM, you could find that the tonality of the IEM changes when you raise your eyebrows or when you open your mouth, or that the sound is straight up at a lower volume. That's due to the change in pressure in your ear canal physically impeding the tympanic membrane's ability to sense the signal.

Just some food for thought and maybe some info that people may find helpful or interesting. I certainly don't blame individuals who view it with skepticism, but, again, I do think there's merit to the concept and that the science is sound (ha.... get it?...).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #9,943 of 40,587
Nowhere in any of ADEL's marketing - or in any of our posts regarding ADEL - is it ever mentioned that ADEL somehow makes you immune to the effects of excessive SPL. It's about as stupid as someone putting on oven mits and placing their hands in a raging furnace because the mits "protect you from heat." I even made it a point that ADEL's loss in isolation and resolution may encourage users to increase listening volumes and counteract the benefits of ADEL. This is why I recommended ADEL users either get used to the isolation drop, or only use ADEL IEMs in quieter environments.

How ADEL claims to protect your hearing is by allowing you to maintain higher perceived listening volumes for longer periods of time. In my experience, when I listen to non-ADEL IEMs and hearing fatigue starts to set in, it becomes more difficult to focus during critical listening and everything suddenly sounds more "dull". The first impulse is to then increase the volume, exposing the user to increasingly-dangerous SPL. Now, don't get me wrong, this does occur with ADEL IEMs too if you listen for extremely long periods of time at a moderate-to-high loudness level, but it happens at a slower rate.

Now, unfortunately, subjective personal impressions are as far as I can go with regards to ADEL, because I lack the scientific know-how to talk about it at a technical scale. However, now that @PinkyPowers has introduced @Cotnijoe's statements regarding ADEL - which are by far the most technical yet - into the thread, I'd like to know your perspective as someone in the field of medicine; is what Lawrence is saying sensible and factually correct, or are there inaccuracies in his argument that we should take note of? The post is below:

You know, he has a point. It's also irresponsible to suggest one oughtn't force an ice pick into one's own ear, as people may focus on that sort of threat and neglect SPL.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #9,944 of 40,587

I won't go too far into detail, especially since I don't want to derail EE's thread, but acoustic filters are certainly nothing new, it's been used in hearing protection gear from the likes of Etymotics as well as UM's own hearing protection gear for a while now. I will say that ADEL is a novel approach to it though.

As for people neglecting high SPL because they have ADEL or something similar to it - the tech is meant to resolve a different issue, not the issue of listening at high volumes. I would never suggest to someone just because they have some special fancy tech that they can suddenly blast their music.

Never. A. Good. Idea.

Not recommended.

Haha I did a project back in college regarding hearing loss and prevention. There are a lot of charts regarding dB levels and hearing damage that result from them. I like to reference the one from V-Moda since their design for it is cool haha =P

https://v-moda.com/content/images/faders/FADERS_popup_decibel_levels_02v3.png

Dec 30, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #9,945 of 40,587
Overly-loud music makes you deaf over time. Don't want to go deaf, turn it down. Really simple rule of thumb. Every time I'm in my car and some cretin (no offense to any cretins here) pulls up next to me with his music so loud it hurts MY ears and makes my mirrors vibrate and the change in my change holder rattle, my first thought- well, no, my second thought- is that that's going to a deaf cretin sooner than later. Our bodies wear out, and they wear out faster if you mistreat them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back