Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 30, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #9,947 of 40,591
So moving onto something that has caught my curiosity, @Deezel177, how is it that you are so good at digging all those quotes? Man you got some mad skills.

When you deal with a topic intensely, for a significant period of time, it can become internalised, as a complex and '3-dimensionally' connected mental map. When that happens, the mind easily remembers exactly the most pertinent information, where it came from and where it is applicable in the current situation. I think most people can identify with that, somewhere, somewhen, in their life.

Used to happen to me a lot, at uni, after I'd handed essays in for marking - the annoying thing about that is that it takes the mental map a while to mature and ripen, so my subconscious would generate loads of useful connections and insights that would bubble up into my conscious thoughts, only some days after I'd handed the essays in, at which point I couldn't benefit from improving my marks with the insights!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #9,948 of 40,591
Even when I listen to 2 channel now I use an SPL meter on my iPhone. My buddy showed me that. Live performances are around 75db average and that's what I set the mid level to. then the peaks will be what they are and It's a realistic level. Same should apply to using cans as well as CIEM's. JMHO...

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #9,949 of 40,591
I definitely agree with all the points presented above. ADEL is absolutely not an excuse to blast your ears with volume, but it is a useful tool for a healthier listening experience when used intelligently. As I mentioned multiple times, SPL is a more immediate threat to your hearing than pressure build-up, and there are no universal solutions for both problems other than awareness and responsibility.

So moving onto something that has caught my curiosity, @Deezel177, how is it that you are so good at digging all those quotes? Man you got some mad skills.

The key is to barely have a life outside of Head-Fi. :D

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #9,950 of 40,591
If this was true, open air concerts would not cause hearing impairments.
No matter you use Adel or not, if the SPL is high, you’ll get ear damage.
The claims that Adel protects the hearing are dangerous, because they could make people neglect the danger of high SPL just because they have an IEM with Adel.
Dude, i knew the world of headfi was full of made up facts and fairy tales, but this one fill me with awe. CIEM has nothing to do with this. It’s cause by an imbalance of the pressure between the middle ear and external ear. Whether one uses CIEM or not, it’s not gonna solve or cause the problem. I treat people with ear effusion almost every day.
I'm sorry, but you appear to have not fully understood my post. I was not talking about sound levels, I was only talking about (for want of a better word) pneumatic pressure and, as you state yourself, a pressure imbalance that in my case was caused by wearing CIEMs.

I fully agree that high volume levels are dangerous for your hearing irrespective of ADEL. However, ADEL-like modules did relieve the pneumatic pressure fluctuations that were caused by me tensing my jaw muscles (eg. grinding my teeth) that constantly changed the shape of my ear canal.

I get the feeling that you are trying to promote healthy hearing, which is great, but there is no need to pretend that I am a gullible fool and brush off my post. Especially not without reading it properly and asking questions if something is not clear. I am more than happy to clarify it further.

Dec 31, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #9,952 of 40,591
The faceplate on my Zeus' is starting to come off, so I need to know whether a gently application of super glue would be ok, or will an EE repair be the best option?

Cheers
Is it covered by warranty?

Dec 31, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #9,956 of 40,591
Normally, it is Starlight cable that is provided
That is not true...it was first the Starlight cable and then it became Whiplash SPC and as some are now reporting it is the Ares II

oops just read your post maybe it is different for Zeus R as I was referring to XR

Dec 31, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #9,960 of 40,591
The sound should not be the same between the 3 cables?
No...the cables do have distinct different characteristics that also cause sublte changes to the overall performance of the IEM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back