Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #9,496 of 40,730
Yesterday, I discovered details that I never paid attention before with my other ciems.

Hotel california from Eagles:
It's a kind of maracas noises.
Between 24 s to 34 s, the sound of the sea in a shell.

Sweet home alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
We hear the sound of a triangle in the background.st jsute

I tell myself that it is only the beginning of curiosity.

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #9,497 of 40,730
That's the whole point of buying TOTL equipment. Hearing more stuff. Every time I buy something new, higher up the ladder, I hear more sounds/nuances in the music. I guess the day I buy something new and I don't is when I stop buying new stuff- and I might be there now with the Astell SP1000/Zeus XR combo. The Zeus is an amazing IEM, and has such detail AND musicality. For me, it checks all the boxes, especially in the upper registers (trebles).

Dec 3, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #9,498 of 40,730
Congrats! I see you have the Plenue 2. I wouldn't be surprised if that one also has amazing synergy with the Zeus XR :ksc75smile:
Plenue 1 + Zeus XR (non Adel) is still my favourite match. Probably a wise choice to go for the Adel when you already suffer from tinnitus.

Yeah, like Tom Petty used to sing: ''The waiting is the hardest part''
Yes, I did some reading before deciding to order, and I expect, from testimonials, that there will be no hiss with Plenue 2...

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #9,499 of 40,730
That's the whole point of buying TOTL equipment. Hearing more stuff. Every time I buy something new, higher up the ladder, I hear more sounds/nuances in the music. I guess the day I buy something new and I don't is when I stop buying new stuff- and I might be there now with the Astell SP1000/Zeus XR combo. The Zeus is an amazing IEM, and has such detail AND musicality. For me, it checks all the boxes, especially in the upper registers (trebles).

Just wait my pair of Zeus-XR custom arrives, we got the same ultimate combo~ :D

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #9,500 of 40,730
SS or CU? I have the SS as I like a lot of detail in the upper end (and Olddude's ears are getting, well, old, and there is some drop-off up there).

The burn-in process seems to be about done, new cable and new IEMs and the 3.5 port all seem to be of one piece now. And, for those of you with universals, I'm finding the Final Audio silicone tips are the best I've ever used. The operations manager at FA suggested using smaller than usual tips to get deeper insertion which would lead to better bass, and he was right. Between the Ares ll copper cable and the tips (and likely the burn-in) the bass and timbre have really filled in. In no way would I call these IEMs thin or bass-light (disclaimer- I'm not a basshead, but I do like bass). Even acoustic music is sounding great, full and rich. What is so astounding about the Zeus is that you think the music you are listening to is all there, and then something else kicks in and you can hear that, and then more kicks in and it just gets more and more complex, all the time staying transparent. It's like looking down into clear ocean water and just seeing... everything.

The more I listen the more I'm enjoying my music. Which, of course, is the point of this very expensive hobby. :dt880smile:

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #9,501 of 40,730
SS or CU? I have the SS as I like a lot of detail in the upper end (and Olddude's ears are getting, well, old, and there is some drop-off up there).

The burn-in process seems to be about done, new cable and new IEMs and the 3.5 port all seem to be of one piece now. And, for those of you with universals, I'm finding the Final Audio silicone tips are the best I've ever used. The operations manager at FA suggested using smaller than usual tips to get deeper insertion which would lead to better bass, and he was right. Between the Ares ll copper cable and the tips (and likely the burn-in) the bass and timbre have really filled in. In no way would I call these IEMs thin or bass-light (disclaimer- I'm not a basshead, but I do like bass). Even acoustic music is sounding great, full and rich. What is so astounding about the Zeus is that you think the music you are listening to is all there, and then something else kicks in and you can hear that, and then more kicks in and it just gets more and more complex, all the time staying transparent. It's like looking down into clear ocean water and just seeing... everything.

The more I listen the more I'm enjoying my music. Which, of course, is the point of this very expensive hobby. :dt880smile:

I got the SP1000SS. So we are basically 95% the same on the setup, even with the cable because my pair will also come together with Ares II. The only difference will be custom vs universal(ear tips). Currently, most of my listening on the SP1000SS is on the balanced output. I guess I will start to burn in the 3.5 output on the SP1000SS before my Zeus-XR arrives. So my combo will get into motion earlier.

IMG_3004.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #9,502 of 40,730

Do you speak about Zeus XIV or R ?
And if answer should be "XR"... :wink: ...then which setting ?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #9,503 of 40,730
In no way would I call these IEMs thin or bass-light (disclaimer- I'm not a basshead, but I do like bass). Even acoustic music is sounding great, full and rich. What is so astounding about the Zeus is that you think the music you are listening to is all there, and then something else kicks in and you can hear that, and then more kicks in and it just gets more and more complex, all the time staying transparent. It's like looking down into clear ocean water and just seeing... everything.

Yes, like clear ocean water indeed! Great analogy and this matches exactly my pov regarding the Zeus signature, which I posted yesterday in another (highly recommended for iem lovers) thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ranking-the-stars-flinkenicks-2017-iem-flagship-shootout-introduction-and-reviews-on-page-1.826876/page-432#post-13889792
Zeus XR = water (crystal clear resolution)

I also wouldn't call the Zeus bass quantity (my AR6 has less bass) light, more like neutral to my ears. But its bass quality is technically very impressive :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #9,504 of 40,730
I got the SP1000SS. So we are basically 95% the same on the setup, even with the cable because my pair will also come together with Ares II. The only difference will be custom vs universal(ear tips). Currently, most of my listening on the SP1000SS is on the balanced output. I guess I will start to burn in the 3.5 output on the SP1000SS before my Zeus-XR arrives. So my combo will get into motion earlier.

Is there a reason why you didn't ask for a balanced TRRS connector (that's
what I did in my Zeus order) ?

Dec 4, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #9,505 of 40,730
Is there a reason why you didn't ask for a balanced TRRS connector (that's
what I did in my Zeus order) ?

Whaaat , I asked that question at the local dealer, they say there is no such option for 2.5 balanced for the Ares II cable that is included with the Zeus.

But I have demo the Ares II balaced vs 3.5 using the universal Zeus XRA. I am fine with 3.5. Through SP1000S

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #9,506 of 40,730
Whaaat , I asked that question at the local dealer, they say there is no such option for 2.5 balanced for the Ares II cable that is included with the Zeus.

But I have demo the Ares II balaced vs 3.5 using the universal Zeus XRA. I am fine with 3.5. Through SP1000S
Ethan from EE told me I can ask for balanced in my order... Let's wait and see when Zeus arrives, I hope it' ok.

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #9,507 of 40,730
i am using pwaudio no5 cable with my Zeus XR , i am happy with it yet curious at which (reasonably priced) cable would be a definite improvement over it

perhaps @flinkenick aka Cable Guru can chime in ?

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #9,508 of 40,730
Dec 4, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #9,509 of 40,730

Not sure about one that is included with Zeus,,,but the Ares II I have is balanced 2.5

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #9,510 of 40,730
i am using pwaudio no5 cable with my Zeus XR , i am happy with it yet curious at which (reasonably priced) cable would be a definite improvement over it

perhaps @flinkenick aka Cable Guru can chime in ?
ares 2+? Or maybe the thor. Or other pwaudio cables. But usually will cost around double.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back