Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 1, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #9,466 of 40,675
Holy hell, yeah. Dorado is a bass monster with kind of muddy vocals. Zeus is the exact opposite.

I am feeling so excited about the Zeus-XR. It's worse than doing drug. Can someone help me relieve? It has only been 1 week since I made my impression. I am not sure if I can make it through Christmas.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #9,468 of 40,675
Just got my universal Zeus R. What a huge difference coming from Campfire Dorado. Stilling waiting for my copper 4.4 balanced cable from Plussound. Can't make a real comparison now.

Yes. After few hours of listening Zeus. I found that its base is more natural and a bit punchy than Dorado. Everything is very clear and detailed from Zeus. Amazing!!!

Sorry to bother...you said you're waiting for a 4.4mm cable so I assume you are using a Sony DAP. Which one is it? Hearing any hissing from SE? thx

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #9,470 of 40,675
anyone that used Zeus XR with sony wm1a and moved on to another source that really blew wm1a out of the water ?

does zeus scale well with quality dap/sources ?

I think the best option for you would be to send your 1A to MS for a mod. I've heard awesome things about it from Nic, and it sure beats paying for a whole other player. I'm actually considering buying myself a modded 1A for Christmas this year. :D

I am feeling so excited about the Zeus-XR. It's worse than doing drug. Can someone help me relieve? It has only been 1 week since I made my impression. I am not sure if I can make it through Christmas.

This is the worst part about every CIEM acquisition. I'm afraid there's nothing much you can do beyond sucking it up and waiting. :wink:

Dec 2, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #9,471 of 40,675
I think the best option for you would be to send your 1A to MS for a mod. I've heard awesome things about it from Nic, and it sure beats paying for a whole other player. I'm actually considering buying myself a modded 1A for Christmas this year. :D

i think Nic modded his 1Z ? thanx for the suggestion but i think it's too much hasslesending my 1a back and forth to singapore

don't get me wrong i like hw wm1a sounds with zeus , plus zero hiss , but i am curious how would zeus scale up with a better source (like say Hugo 2)

i am also using 2.0 FW which makes wm1a even more lean and balanced so i am cool i guess

Dec 2, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #9,472 of 40,675
After 2-3 CIEMs, you kind of get used to it. :) Yes, somewhat like drugs.

Dec 2, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #9,473 of 40,675
i think Nic modded his 1Z ? thanx for the suggestion but i think it's too much hasslesending my 1a back and forth to singapore

don't get me wrong i like hw wm1a sounds with zeus , plus zero hiss , but i am curious how would zeus scale up with a better source (like say Hugo 2)

i am also using 2.0 FW which makes wm1a even more lean and balanced so i am cool i guess

If your concern is purely on scalability, I find the Zeus-XR sounds significantly better through the SP1000, Hugo 2 and my AK70-Kai than through the WM1A. Though, I only tested on single-ended on all four, but you can’t really fault me for Sony’s subpar SE implementation if that’s the reason why it loses out to the competition. There is hiss on the Hugo 2 and a little bit on the AK70-Kai, but to me, they outweigh the discrepancies in SQ.

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #9,474 of 40,675
I had a little fear yesterday, I had insert module Adel upside down, I managed to remove it with a little wrong.
In terms of its XRA, they are still as top since I had listened, superior insulation K10.
With the M2s or Ak120II, the sound is very good.

I tested with pluisuers cable:

Custom Art cable: A good sound, but nothing more.
Cable K10: Bass that stand out more.
Btg starlight, the sound is becoup more extended, more open with the voices that are put forward.

Now, I can get the difference in Zeus XIV and Zeus R thanks to reshell, a more open sound, more extended scene less closed, a less warm sound like a weak gain for XIV and high for R.
I use the module adel G1, red, I tested the carrot, the sound is enclosed, I do not like.

Here, my first recent, after a few hours of listening.

Dec 2, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #9,476 of 40,675
If your concern is purely on scalability, I find the Zeus-XR sounds significantly better through the SP1000, Hugo 2 and my AK70-Kai than through the WM1A. Though, I only tested on single-ended on all four, but you can’t really fault me for Sony’s subpar SE implementation if that’s the reason why it loses out to the competition. There is hiss on the Hugo 2 and a little bit on the AK70-Kai, but to me, they outweigh the discrepancies in SQ.

You have to check out wm1z SE output after the latest fw 2.0 update, a very noticeable improvement!

Dec 2, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #9,478 of 40,675
Dec 2, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #9,480 of 40,675
My tinnitus gave me a strong recall last week, so I decided to go for Adel IEMs.
After a lot of reading, and some good contacts with Empire Ears (thank you, Ethan :) ), I made my choice : it will be Zeus XR.
Ordered this morning, now I have to be patient...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back