Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 29, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #9,391 of 40,587
Intersting. I'm professionally friendly with Vin Vuh of Dana. I have used the platform he made for my turntable for years. I actually purchased my Chord Mojo last month from him and he was telling me about his new line of headphone cables and wants me to do down to his offices in New Jersey to check them out. Not sure I'll be able to do that as the MS limits my travel enough that I have to pick and chose etc... and I doubt the wife wants to drive me there, lol. I haven't been in love with the Dana cables personally, but many are. As for Nordost, I'm not a fan. They are good if you want a tipped up high end. They feel it's a more open sounding cable and those who love their brand swear by them. Just not my tastes, but hey, they are doing a gang busters business so others love the marketing and also the sound.

Just be true to your own ears and get what you love and what you can afford. I love the idea that companies are now starting to work with cable manufacturers and supply their IEM's with matching, high end cables. I won't even buy from folks who don't think enough about their own product to not send it out the door as a matching system. Speakers are different but even Vandersteen supplies a near top of the line Audioquest cable with their high end speaker and it's crossover.
The Danacable Lazuli Reference is the best cable I've ever heard. It improved the sound of every can I have. It's also thick and unwieldy, but I consider those small sacrifices for a great sound. Sometimes I regret selling it (because of underuse).

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #9,392 of 40,587
Thanks! The way I interpret that. It's not $300 better, and some might prefer just to stick with stock (Ares II).
Just to add to what @Deezel177 explained, the Eos is S$299, not US$299. I have seen the confusion about that quite often when prices from Music Sanctuary come up, people not always notice that the currency is S$. As such, it it not all that much more expensive than the regular Ares II on which the Eos is based.

Of course if you already have Ares II, then buying Eos might not be the most sensible choice.

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #9,393 of 40,587
Just to add to what @Deezel177 explained, the Eos is S$299, not US$299. I have seen the confusion about that quite often when prices from Music Sanctuary come up, people not always notice that the currency is S$. As such, it it not all that much more expensive than the regular Ares II on which the Eos is based.

Of course if you already have Ares II, then buying Eos might not be the most sensible choice.

Yes, all of Music Sanctuary's prices are in SGD and I hope that's clear to everyone reading. I agree; the Eos doesn't really make sense if you already have the Ares II. But, if you have several IEMs you want to use your Ares II with and you find yourself constantly plugging and unplugging the cable from earphone to earphone, then the Eos is a really sensible second purchase. When it comes to more economic cables, I'd always suggest buying as many as your IEMs need, rather than cable-swapping all the live long day. Because, the money and the hassle you'll exert fixing a loose socket or pin, will eventually cost you more than another cable anyway.

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #9,394 of 40,587
Yes, all of Music Sanctuary's prices are in SGD and I hope that's clear to everyone reading. I agree; the Eos doesn't really make sense if you already have the Ares II. But, if you have several IEMs you want to use your Ares II with and you find yourself constantly plugging and unplugging the cable from earphone to earphone, then the Eos is a really sensible second purchase. When it comes to more economic cables, I'd always suggest buying as many as your IEMs need, rather than cable-swapping all the live long day. Because, the money and the hassle you'll exert fixing a loose socket or pin, will eventually cost you more than another cable anyway.

In a perfect world without money, I would love to buy as much Effect Audio Horus as I need for all my IEMs.
But in reality, all I can get is one to two Ares II, PW No5 and Eos for a few of my IEMs.
I found it really hard to A/B cables because swapping cable is very annoying and there are chances that it will do permanent damage to the socket. Based on my experience, I have to swap at least 4 times to confirm the difference I heard between ALO Litz vs Larvicables Silver cable.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #9,395 of 40,587
In a perfect world without money, I would love to buy as much Effect Audio Horus as I need for all my IEMs.
But in reality, all I can get is one to two Ares II, PW No5 and Eos for a few of my IEMs.
I found it really hard to A/B cables because swapping cable is very annoying and there are chances that it will do permanent damage to the socket. Based on my experience, I have to swap at least 4 times to confirm the difference I heard between ALO Litz vs Larvicables Silver cable.

Yes, that's why I said "economic" cables. :D If you wanna train your ears to do quicker comparisons between cables, you can employ a method I learned at Music Sanctuary. First, you make a 2-pin-to-MMCX adapter, then find MMCX demos of cables you want to compare. Having been to e-earphone, I can remember that most of their cable demos are actually MMCX. Finally, plug the adapter onto your IEM, and then demo the cables with the adapter. Because you're using the adapter, you're not hurting your IEM's pins at all throughout the entire duration of the audition. Furthermore, because you're using MMCX connectors for the demos, it's easier to unplug and plug back with a lower risk of damaging the store's demos in the process. Personally, I've been cable-rolling with 2-pin cables/IEMs for years and I've damaged neither a socket nor a pin, so as long as you know what you're doing, it really isn't as dangerous as it looks. But, with the method I mentioned, you'll be experienced enough to discern between cables in no time. :)

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #9,396 of 40,587
Yes, that's why I said "economic" cables. :D If you wanna train your ears to do quicker comparisons between cables, you can employ a method I learned at Music Sanctuary. First, you make a 2-pin-to-MMCX adapter, then find MMCX demos of cables you want to compare. Having been to e-earphone, I can remember that most of their cable demos are actually MMCX. Finally, plug the adapter onto your IEM, and then demo the cables with the adapter. Because you're using the adapter, you're not hurting your IEM's pins at all throughout the entire duration of the audition. Furthermore, because you're using MMCX connectors for the demos, it's easier to unplug and plug back with a lower risk of damaging the store's demos in the process. Personally, I've been cable-rolling with 2-pin cables/IEMs for years and I've damaged neither a socket nor a pin, so as long as you know what you're doing, it really isn't as dangerous as it looks. But, with the method I mentioned, you'll be experienced enough to discern between cables in no time. :)
My gentlest methods have damaged the 2-pin sockets for A12 and Galaxy V1, so either I'm unlucky or I need to redefine gentle LOL

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #9,397 of 40,587
My gentlest methods have damaged the 2-pin sockets for A12 and Galaxy V1, so either I'm unlucky or I need to redefine gentle LOL

I usually grab the edge of the 2-pin plug between my thumb and index finger, and hold the IEM in my other hand. I then push on the shell with my thumb whilst pushing the plug away from the shell with my index finger. It's worked every time, but not everyone can be so lucky. :D

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #9,398 of 40,587
Well, "very soon" ended up becoming three hours, but I pulled through eventually. Calling all Zeus owners! This is the entry-level cable for you!

curious how it compares to pwaudio no5 , which at 200$ is the one i use on my Zeus XR

and I am still curious how much better 1960s 2-wire would have been for my XR , but there is no way i am paying 1000$ for a cable , this is MADNESS

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #9,399 of 40,587
curious how it compares to pwaudio no5 , which at 200$ is the one i use on my Zeus XR

and I am still curious how much better 1960s 2-wire would have been for my XR , but there is no way i am paying 1000$ for a cable , this is MADNESS

I haven't compared it to the No. 5 yet, but I will when I come back to Singapore in a couple weeks. The 2-wire 1960s is a very different cable compared to the Eos, tonally especially. The 1960s is darker, warmer and has the more accurate timbre. To cut it short, it's bottom-heavy where the Eos is top-heavy. Where the Eos prioritises fundamentals, clarity and energy, the 1960s sets its sights towards harmonics, overtones, and texture. The Eos has the cleaner and airier presentation, but the 1960s has superior resolution and authority. I use both with the Zeus and it gives me two very different flavours; fun stuff. :D

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #9,400 of 40,587
Nov 29, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #9,401 of 40,587
When my pair arrive and after some time of brain burn-in (just in case if it makes a difference), I would definitely give all these cable a try. While I love to have a warmer lower end / bass, I also love the detail of instrument perceived. I am worried that the cost of my cable for the Zeus would cost up to another IEM...... Hope the No.5 / Zen / Ares II for 2.5mm / 3.5mm will do a great job from preventing me to get more exotic cables.
Well you know what they say. $150 cables are the gateway drug to more expensive cables hehe. To be honest I used to be real snobby about expensive cables a while back, but I have come to really appreciate quality entry-level cables. I use cables like Zen, no 5, and Ares II 90% of the time now. The thing with more expensive cables, and audio in general, is that there is usually a tradeoff somewhere. Top-tier cables like Horus and 1960 4-wire are pretty spectacular in terms of transparency and resolution, but they are both on the brighter side. So they are not per definition the better pairing, as my own preference leans to naturalness and timbre over maximizing detail. The SilverFi cables in turn are very unique, but come with cumbersome ergonomics. So there are ample cases where I just prefer to pair an iem with one of these cables over more expensive ones, but also the other way around of course. Zeus for instance has a really neutral tone, which is why I always recommend sticking with copper to add a touch of warmth for its tone (unless you prefer a more treble-oriented sound of course). The price of a product has a strong psychological effect on the perceived quality. But over time I have come to value these nice little entry level cables as no less, regardless of price.

As Eos is being discussed, a little snippet from the cable thread;
Eos is a variation of Ares II, with a different signature. Ares II is warmer, while its lower treble is also a bit brighter. Eos has a more linear signature that comes closer to neutral, due to a slightly more elevated mid- to upper-treble. Not to the extent of something like Horus or 1960 4-wire, but its finer detail is more pronounced than Ares II, making it more resolved overall. It is a bit of a musical variation of neutral in a way, that sounds detailed, but presents it in a smooth, coherent manner. Its mid-bass is slightly elevated, but clear on impact, just very enjoyable to listen to, while it maintains a similar airiness as Ares II. While its treble is smoother, it is also more transparent; just a lovely lower treble tone. Overall, Ares II is warmer and darker, although its timbre is slightly more accurate for instruments in comparison. Eos on the other hand is more versatile for me, as I also enjoy synthetic-based music. Even so, there will still be cases where I prefer Ares II depending on the iem or music. Unfortunately I can't tell whether or not people will find it complementary or worth the upgrade to Ares II if they already own it, but I personally enjoy it very much.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #9,402 of 40,587
The Ares II has been the perfect cable for me for the Zeus, as a matter of fact it is the perfect cable for a lot of my IEM's. I also really like the Truth copper but the ergonomics can't compare with the Ares II. The Ares II doesn't provide the most stellar pick me up in the bass regions but there is a warm clarity with the Ares II.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #9,403 of 40,587
BTG Starlight was the cable I believe, at least it was an option with my Spartan in 2016.
You are correct, I was having a senior moment and couldn't remember the name.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #9,404 of 40,587
I got mine two weeks ago, it came with a Whiplash SPC but it was both too bright and defective at the right connector (cutting in and out), so they replaced it with an Ares ll, which is much more suitable with the Astelll SP1000. With Comply tips the Ares ll has a ton of timbre and bass (but not too much) with a good amount of treble, and with silicone Final Audio tips it has incredible transparency and upper end (but not too bright so as to wear you out) and very good bass and timbre with music that has a lot of same. With music that has less, it has less. It seems to be be a very good entry-level match for the Zeus XR. I'm sure at some point I'll go up the ladder a bit to, most likely, a better copper cable in the $500-600 range, but for now, as I'm getting used to my new combo I'm quite happy with it.
Save your $$ enjoy the Ares II pairing...:thumbsup:

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #9,405 of 40,587
all i ever want for christmas is a new Empire Ears totl iem :)

I ordered my Zeus-XR during Black Friday, I guess I will have a late Christmas around Feb/ Early March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back