Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 14, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #8,176 of 40,576
I've often wished someone made a cable splitter for IEMs, imagine you have one two pin going into the IEM, but coming out of that is a splitter with 2 spate 2 pin connections. That way you could just flip a switch and go back and forth between cables. Would make demoing cables much easier and the different much more readily apparent.
It might be possible, I have no idea.

In general I personally prefer to analyse sound using classical music and going through an entire symphony noting areas where I find particular strengths or weaknesses. Classical symphonies are technically very complicated and specific instruments are used to evoke emotions, which (to me) makes these pieces very informative about the performance of IEMs. So I have several pieces I will refer to for specific parts of the signature and because I know them so well, I can readily spot subtle differences without A/B-ing between IEMs or cables. Not sure if I am odd in doing that, but I notice the differences less when I keep A/B-ing because I can't adjust to each specific signature.

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #8,177 of 40,576
It might be possible, I have no idea.

In general I personally prefer to analyse sound using classical music and going through an entire symphony noting areas where I find particular strengths or weaknesses. Classical symphonies are technically very complicated and specific instruments are used to evoke emotions, which (to me) makes these pieces very informative about the performance of IEMs. So I have several pieces I will refer to for specific parts of the signature and because I know them so well, I can readily spot subtle differences without A/B-ing between IEMs or cables. Not sure if I am odd in doing that, but I notice the differences less when I keep A/B-ing because I can't adjust to each specific signature.

I think that using pieces of music you know well is often a very good way of picking up the "overall" perceived differences between two IEMs (or the same IEM through different sources/setups), providing volume matching is taken into consideration prior to any listening sessions. I tend to concentrate on the overall impression a piece of gear leaves me with while listening to some of my favourite tracks, and then home in on specific bits of the sound to run some proper A/B comparisons with tracks I know focus on those particular ranges.

I should point out that I'm no guru and write reviews for the fun of it, so please take my opinions as just that, an opinion on how writing about something as subjective and ephemeral as sound makes the most sense to me.

I tend to only listen to classical fusion (Escala, 2Cellos etc) or film scores if I'm dipping my toes into the orchestral world so am pretty uneducated in terms of the wider classical works - are there any particular movements or symphonies you would recommend to someone that would be good for evoking emotion or for review purposes? Always love to hear what other people use as their benchmark for assessing sound.

Aug 14, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #8,178 of 40,576
I think that using pieces of music you know well is often a very good way of picking up the "overall" perceived differences between two IEMs (or the same IEM through different sources/setups), providing volume matching is taken into consideration prior to any listening sessions. I tend to concentrate on the overall impression a piece of gear leaves me with while listening to some of my favourite tracks, and then home in on specific bits of the sound to run some proper A/B comparisons with tracks I know focus on those particular ranges.

I should point out that I'm no guru and write reviews for the fun of it, so please take my opinions as just that, an opinion on how writing about something as subjective and ephemeral as sound makes the most sense to me.

I tend to only listen to classical fusion (Escala, 2Cellos etc) or film scores if I'm dipping my toes into the orchestral world so am pretty uneducated in terms of the wider classical works - are there any particular movements or symphonies you would recommend to someone that would be good for evoking emotion or for review purposes? Always love to hear what other people use as their benchmark for assessing sound.
Same here, I also write reviews because I enjoy writing, and the critical listening I actually do for a completely different reason (music therapy/managing my ADHD). I am also still really new to it all and have only written two reviews of which one I initially just called my impressions, but was considered by others to be good enough as a review so I put that one up as well.

Using symphonies and other classical music I think requires a little bit of extra work, at least that is how I do it. I often study the background and story of a piece to provide extra context. So, for instance, I love Beethoven's Symphony No.3, Eroica, because it was written to celebrate the revolutionary achievements of Napoleon, although after he declared himself Emperor, Beethoven removed Napoleon's name in a fit of anger. The symphony therefore has this strong revolutionary theme that can be powerful and it ebbs and flows.

More specifically, I use the Nutcracker for treble performance because so much of the piece is presented through delicate high tones, like fairies buzzing in your ear. Really interesting (and I did this in my Ares II review) is that as the clock strikes midnight the atmosphere in the piece turns dark and that is where bass performance suddenly becomes a key part.

Another piece I love using for bass is Ma Vlast - Vltava, that is about a river, and at one point there is something like a storm in the piece with a heavy thunderous bass that is ideal to get a sense of sub-bass impact.

When I want to, as it were, challenge the IEMs with something really technical I will use Brahms' Symphony No 4, which is very complex, very layered and can easily sound disjointed if there is no cohesion.

For vocals I love using Mozart's Requiem and Missa Solemnis by Beethoven. At least as far as classical music is concerned, as I listen to a lot of other music as well of course.

If you are looking for a cheap way to get lots of 24-bit classical music I can highly recommend the Musopen Project. They have a huge 7GB file of classical music for free (open source) and it has several of the pieces I mentioned, such as Eroica, Ma Vlast and Brahms' 4th.

Aug 14, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #8,180 of 40,576
I've often wished someone made a cable splitter for IEMs, imagine you have one two pin going into the IEM, but coming out of that is a splitter with 2 spate 2 pin connections. That way you could just flip a switch and go back and forth between cables. Would make demoing cables much easier and the different much more readily apparent.
Plussound has that but only for 6-8 wire cables

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #8,181 of 40,576
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Supra_Revision_Quest_2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #8,184 of 40,576
Discussion time! What would you guys like to see from us, product wise?
As I am looking around for my "end-game" IEMs, I have a really specific and probably niche wish (or "ideal"), which are IEMs that are very realistic in their reproduction of instruments and that have a smooth, even ethereal characteristic that is also very open. I keep looking at the Final Audio Piano Forte range for this reason, but would much prefer a true IEM-fit.

I sometimes think that perhaps the Athena ADEL would come closest to this, but I am not sure as have not had an opportunity to demo them.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #8,185 of 40,576
Similar to what you did with the Zeus. Have 2 tuning options for your next flagship.
- Tuning 'N' for Natural, which would focus on natural timbre and tone. This would have a smooth treble and a touch more low end.
- Tuning 'R' for Reference which would be focusing on Precision. This would be brighter with a more linear treble.
- The switch option so that people who like to have both could choose that.

I know the current XR sounds like what I suggested. But the XIV version still has more treble than what can be considered natural. And in the bass, XIV is tilted towards upper bass. So, a slight drop in upper bass and a few dB addition to the sub-bass would be nice. Also, the presentation could be slightly less forward.

Basically 'N' would have a tuning like how an individual would hear from a flat stere speaker in a living room, which includes the boundary gain from the walls. That is 1dB drop per octave going from 20hz to the 20kHz. And 'R' would be how you would hear from a flat stereo speaker if you were standing front of it in an anechoic chamber.

Just my 2c.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #8,186 of 40,576
As I am looking around for my "end-game" IEMs, I have a really specific and probably niche wish (or "ideal"), which are IEMs that are very realistic in their reproduction of instruments and that have a smooth, even ethereal characteristic that is also very open. I keep looking at the Final Audio Piano Forte range for this reason, but would much prefer a true IEM-fit.

I sometimes think that perhaps the Athena ADEL would come closest to this, but I am not sure as have not had an opportunity to demo them.
+1.... I would relate it to the sound of the LCDi4 but with more isolation.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #8,190 of 40,576
Discussion time! What would you guys like to see from us, product wise?

A true TOTL hybrid. Like the Tia Fourté. All the clarity, transparency of Zeus, but with a dynamic driver filling out the low-end.

One of the best treats I've recently found is the DUNU DK3001. All it's missing is greater resolution and details. Tone, balance, bass, is breathtaking in its rightness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back