Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #8,146 of 40,629
I know what you were saying. You were saying my method is wrong. Which leaves me no choice but to say your method is wrong. If you don't want to go down that path, don't criticize Pinky. I can be very pedantic.
Your method can lead to damage to the CIEM. It's not about what is right or wrong. It is what it is - possible damage to the CIEM. If you think that using your hands to safely take out a cable from the housing is wrong, then I don't know what to say. If you think I'm criticizing you because I'm detailing faults, then so be it. No matter who it is, if I see something that can potentially (in this case physically) harm their hard-earned/obtained device/item/CIEM, I will speak up. Pretty much if I say facts and you (or anyone disputes them even though it is overwhelmingly clear the facts are safer/better/right/whatever you want to call it), then I can't help that person anymore. It's like saying putting your hands on a hot stove is okay when most people (rational people), know that putting hands on a hot stove isn't the best thing to do.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #8,147 of 40,629
Your method can lead to damage to the CIEM. It's not about what is right or wrong. It is what it is - possible damage to the CIEM. If you think that using your hands to safely take out a cable from the housing is wrong, then I don't know what to say. If you think I'm criticizing you because I'm detailing faults, then so be it. No matter who it is, if I see something that can potentially (in this case physically) harm their hard-earned/obtained device/item/CIEM, I will speak up. Pretty much if I say facts and you (or anyone disputes them even though is overwhelmingly clear the facts are safer/better/right/whatever you want to call it), then I can't help that person anymore. It's like saying putting your hands on a hot stove is okay when most people (rational people), know that putting hands on a hot stove isn't the best thing to do.

Damage is possible every time you handle them. There is no greater risk with a tool. The same rules apply. Be careful.

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #8,148 of 40,629
Ok no worries I got you fam.

Place your dap connected to your Zeus XR with the cables you wanna remove on a table. Sit right in front of it, don't let your eyes off it. It's very important the cable understands you're dead serious. Now you gonna threaten it with your ice cold voice that you're about to inject it with Rebecca Black "Friday" on repeat loop until he spits out of the Zeus XR. Record all this for YouTube fame and monetization of course. End the vid with "Look ma, no hands!"
Lol...hehe

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #8,150 of 40,629
lol. Yeah, some of these cables and IEMs are fit so securely, I struggle not to damage them when switching cables. Sometimes it just as hard putting a new one one, as it is taking one off. I bent the pins of my plusSound X-Series GPC, just trying to get it inside the socket of the VE8.

For me, the best method of removing a cable is to use needle-nose pliers. Grip the flattest part of the connector available to you, and be careful like your IEM depends on it. :wink:

Pinky - thanks for the advice on the pliers. I managed to use them with a piece of cloth wrapped round the cable to get good purchase.

Ok no worries I got you fam.

Place your dap connected to your Zeus XR with the cables you wanna remove on a table. Sit right in front of it, don't let your eyes off it. It's very important the cable understands you're dead serious. Now you gonna threaten it with your ice cold voice that you're about to inject it with Rebecca Black "Friday" on repeat loop until he spits out of the Zeus XR. Record all this for YouTube fame and monetization of course. End the vid with "Look ma, no hands!"

Cagin - after seeing some recent rickrolling on Flinkenick's shootout thread, I was too scared to check out the artist you mention, but apart from that, that definitely sounds like the easiest route to use next time. Fear, intimidation and bad music - always a potent combo! :wink:

Use a piece of cloth to grip the connector tightly and push the edge of fingers against the shell and pull it out..

Eaglewings - combined your advice with Pinky's and Moedawg's to get the ideal method (for this particular example).

I usually don't want to use tools to pull out connectors because all it takes is one time to mess up something (in this case the housing, dent in connector, etc.)

Moedawg's - thanks for the advice about rocking the shells - I won't be using tools on a regular basis, but after 15 minutes of trying all other options, tool over cloth had just enough grip to get it moving. I'm a big guy who used to play semi pro contact sport, so I'm comfortable with physical force, but I can genuinely say I've never seen something jammed in that tight before on any of the other IEMs I've used, hence the advice sought on how not to mess up the shells. Now the cable has been removed, I've been able to insert and remove the other two I wanted to try just using hands and the rocking technique, which is definitely far easier on the nerves!

Anyway, cheers all for the responses - didn't think such an innocuous question would get so many responses - this really is a very friendly thread!

For those who are interested, the Whiplash SPC from the Zeus pairs very nicely with the Athena, and sounds just a touch crisper in the higher frequencies to me. This is all done without any great scientific or review comparisons so please take that with the requisite ton of salt.

Need to do one more round vs the Leonidas, but either seem to bring the sound slightly closer to my Ideal preferences - through any of the cables, the Athena is an impressively enjoyable listen, though.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #8,151 of 40,629
Pinky - thanks for the advice on the pliers. I managed to use them with a piece of cloth wrapped round the cable to get good purchase.

Cagin - after seeing some recent rickrolling on Flinkenick's shootout thread, I was too scared to check out the artist you mention, but apart from that, that definitely sounds like the easiest route to use next time. Fear, intimidation and bad music - always a potent combo! :wink:

Eaglewings - combined your advice with Pinky's and Moedawg's to get the ideal method (for this particular example).

Moedawg's - thanks for the advice about rocking the shells - I won't be using tools on a regular basis, but after 15 minutes of trying all other options, tool over cloth had just enough grip to get it moving. I'm a big guy who used to play semi pro contact sport, so I'm comfortable with physical force, but I can genuinely say I've never seen something jammed in that tight before on any of the other IEMs I've used, hence the advice sought on how not to mess up the shells. Now the cable has been removed, I've been able to insert and remove the other two I wanted to try just using hands and the rocking technique, which is definitely far easier on the nerves!

Anyway, cheers all for the responses - didn't think such an innocuous question would get so many responses - this really is a very friendly thread!

For those who are interested, the Whiplash SPC from the Zeus pairs very nicely with the Athena, and sounds just a touch crisper in the higher frequencies to me. This is all done without any great scientific or review comparisons so please take that with the requisite ton of salt.

Need to do one more round vs the Leonidas, but either seem to bring the sound slightly closer to my Ideal preferences - through any of the cables, the Athena is an impressively enjoyable listen, though.
When it comes to cables, I have found this video to be the most helpful over the last years.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #8,152 of 40,629
When it comes to cables, I have found this video to be the most helpful over the last years.
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Please, not again...
3-Apocalypse-Now-quotes.gif

I'm afraid you might have to face some 'emotional damage' lawsuits coming up this time :grimacing:

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #8,155 of 40,629
Aug 13, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #8,157 of 40,629
True dat :grinning:. Personally I don't argue about cables anymore. I just state my position and leave at that.
Yeah, I don't see much sense in arguing about cables either. It all seems far too polarised. All I know is that the difference is blatantly obvious to me even at the lower price range such as the Ares II and I can but dream of ever owning a Leonidas... Thank you very much to the aforementioned Mr. @flinkenick for introducing me to the world of high-end cables. :D

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #8,158 of 40,629
My god... The resolution from the XR is outstanding... I can't ever get used to it or get accustomed to it. These iems are the best investment I've ever done in audio.... I wish from the beginning of entering this hobby I stumbled upon Empire Ears, and this thread and just bought the XR, would of saved 1.5 years and quite some cash

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #8,159 of 40,629
True dat :grinning:. Personally I don't argue about cables anymore. I just state my position and leave at that.

I thought they would make no difference. I am forced to admit-after hearing many cables-They most certainly do. However, I find no need to change the whiplash cable on zeus XR. It's perfect to my ears.

I ossilate between XR and R, if I had to pick onlky 1 I'd go with R simply because it's more audiophileish and balanced but I do love the ability to bring the vocals forward more especially if I want emotive impact or if the mastering had made them recessed.

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #8,160 of 40,629
My god... The resolution from the XR is outstanding... I can't ever get used to it or get accustomed to it. These iems are the best investment I've ever done in audio.... I wish from the beginning of entering this hobby I stumbled upon Empire Ears, and this thread and just bought the XR, would of saved 1.5 years and quite some cash

Agreed. Now we just need to try them with stupid expensive desktop setups and then we'll never be content until we have to sell our gold fillings for 50k dacs/amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back