Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 20, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #35,311 of 40,676
Screenshot_20220320-132610_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220320-133607_Gallery.jpg

Odin with the N8ii sounding fantastic. First impressions. Tube mode smoothed out some of the rough edges that I experienced on the upper frequences mainly female vocals and higher notes on the viola. On Muse - Stockholm Syndrome, the W9 bass drivers really came alive on the electric guitar sounding crispy, deep and euphoric.

For vocal jazz music, it emphasizes the upper mid range and creates an intimate listening experience as if you were at the 3rd row. However, some genres are still a little too hot for me on the treble (Hip Hop / Rock / pop music). More to come after further burn in.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #35,312 of 40,676
Tonight tried out my EE Legend Xs with a new Audio Sensibility Statement USB cable. Source was Roon playing via a networked Sonore MocroRendu with the Statement out to an IFI micro iDSD. Cable was stock Ares II w/ 4.4 mm out to the LX. I was a bit skeptical going in, but comparing to the stock USB I had been using, bass texture was noticeably tighter and more controlled, with shorter decay after and more mid and even sub-bass details coming through, eg in Zimmers ‘why so serious’ there is a passage that is also most totally sub-bass, but tonight I heard more mid-bass detail underneath that sub-bass. Normally I like the LX with about -3Db shelf under 40 Hz, but tonight it was utterly intoxicating NOT applyling that EQ adjustment- and it seemed that there was maybe blacker background - at least more contrast / better detail retrieval in the upper mids and low treble also. Lower mids were less forward on some tracks than ideal, possibly due to their proximity to the thunderous bass line. There has been a lot of hype around USB cables lately- I think some of this is real, at least I am hearing some differences with the LX’s.

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #35,313 of 40,676
I’m looking at a new DAP. I can never be happy. Lol. Ha! I’m thinking of the A&K SP2000T. Looking for the best sound/value proposition for my Odins. Not sure how far up to go to get great sound, but not paying a ton for incremental upgrade from my AK SR25.

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #35,314 of 40,676
I’m looking at a new DAP. I can never be happy. Lol. Ha! I’m thinking of the A&K SP2000T. Looking for the best sound/value proposition for my Odins. Not sure how far up to go to get great sound, but not paying a ton for incremental upgrade from my AK SR25.
I’ve never been able to listen to my Odin/EVO without a bit of EQ but when EQ’d they are magical. To that end I upgraded to the Mojo 2. The UHD DSP is amazing EQ and doesn’t remove the life as some DAP EQ does. I pair it with the Poly and play from sd card or stream to it with roon or my phone with mconnect when out.

Mar 22, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #35,316 of 40,676
I’ve never been able to listen to my Odin/EVO without a bit of EQ but when EQ’d they are magical. To that end I upgraded to the Mojo 2. The UHD DSP is amazing EQ and doesn’t remove the life as some DAP EQ does. I pair it with the Poly and play from sd card or stream to it with roon or my phone with mconnect when out.
I wish I had patience for EQ…. :)

Mar 22, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #35,317 of 40,676
Old, thanks for sharing. When I play mine on my Brinkmann DAC, streaming from The Memory Player in DSD 2X, I don’t need EQ as long as it’s not some of the crappy 80’s recordings. On some rock, I often dial back a bit where needed.
My Zeus likely has as much or more treble as does your Odin. It’s wonderful with the SP2000T

Mar 22, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #35,318 of 40,676
I am about to dive into the Empire Ears deep end and get either a Legend X or a Legend EVO, but need some advice before deciding on which. Now that the EVO has been out for a few months, I have a few questions for anyone who owns/has owned/has heard both of these IEMs.

Would you say the sound of each IEM is different/distinct enough from each other that they both deserve a permanent spot in your collection?

Do you still listen to both of them equally, or has one replaced the other?

If they were both only released today, which one would you get? Would you still get them both?

Is the EVO comfortable to wear for long 6+ hour listening sessions?

Does anyone know if the Legend EVO will ever be available in a custom?

If the EVO was available in a custom, I would probably get that one right now, but I’m currently leaning towards a Legend X mainly due to the custom fit. I will be using it for long comfortable listening sessions, and as much as I would prefer the EVO, I’m not sure if it would suit my needs perfectly. Would love some feedback on this.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #35,319 of 40,676
If you are listening for 6+ hours daily to an iem that is bass-centric, prepare for hearing loss as you get older. Long-term listening to iems at even a reasonable volume will impact your hearing. I listened to speakers for years and that got me. Iems are sending all that sound directly into your ears. Fortunately for me I only have some loss in the upper frequencies. I have friends who have it for most or all frequencies. As we age, things wear out. And you can’t get an operation to “fix” your ears the way you can get new lenses for your eyes. I had my eyes done last year and am now 20/20. Ears? Can’t fix ‘‘em so you end up with hearing aids. Just FYi that no one wants to hear. 😄

Mar 22, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #35,320 of 40,676
If you are listening for 6+ hours daily to an iem that is bass-centric, prepare for hearing loss as you get older. Long-term listening to iems at even a reasonable volume will impact your hearing. I listened to speakers for years and that got me. Iems are sending all that sound directly into your ears. Fortunately for me I only have some loss in the upper frequencies. I have friends who have it for most or all frequencies. As we age, things wear out. And you can’t get an operation to “fix” your ears the way you can get new lenses for your eyes. I had my eyes done last year and am now 20/20. Ears? Can’t fix ‘‘em so you end up with hearing aids. Just FYi that no one wants to hear. 😄
I believe hearing loss is volume and age related. I have not heard excessive bass does more damage than any other frequency. I always read about volume being the most critical. Point taken though. Be careful, especially with the volume.

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #35,321 of 40,676
Excessive anything can hurt you. Volume is the biggest issue, but frequency can be an issue as well. I always wonder how long the folks driving around in bass monster cars will be able to do so before they will be hearing only the vibrations. I'm lucky that I only have an issue in the upper end. Lots of folks have relatively complete loss.

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #35,322 of 40,676
Excessive anything can hurt you. Volume is the biggest issue, but frequency can be an issue as well. I always wonder how long the folks driving around in bass monster cars will be able to do so before they will be hearing only the vibrations. I'm lucky that I only have an issue in the upper end. Lots of folks have relatively complete loss.
Lol. I hear them from my car with the windows up. Their hearing will be toast by 40 if not sooner.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #35,323 of 40,676
I am about to dive into the Empire Ears deep end and get either a Legend X or a Legend EVO, but need some advice before deciding on which. Now that the EVO has been out for a few months, I have a few questions for anyone who owns/has owned/has heard both of these IEMs.

Would you say the sound of each IEM is different/distinct enough from each other that they both deserve a permanent spot in your collection?

Do you still listen to both of them equally, or has one replaced the other?

If they were both only released today, which one would you get? Would you still get them both?

Is the EVO comfortable to wear for long 6+ hour listening sessions?

Does anyone know if the Legend EVO will ever be available in a custom?

If the EVO was available in a custom, I would probably get that one right now, but I’m currently leaning towards a Legend X mainly due to the custom fit. I will be using it for long comfortable listening sessions, and as much as I would prefer the EVO, I’m not sure if it would suit my needs perfectly. Would love some feedback on this.

Not distinct but they are different.

No. Sold Evo and X just sits in a case as i got something i like better (as a whole).

No. I would get the X, even though the EVO is cleaner and better overall minus treble.

I think so.

N/A

Mar 23, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #35,324 of 40,676
The corrolary is that as long as I'm feeling the rumble, I'm golden that's why we're in the EE thread, right? 😝

Seriously though, I have generic hearing loss (mostly struggle with making out conversations in noisy rooms) and while it's a great way to filter out small talk, it does often get in the way of constructive dialogue. I also have mild tinnitus, but that's triggered by treble, not bass. I can listen to great sub-bass all day and my ears are fine; 5 minutes of hot treble and my ears are full of cicadas for the rest of the day.

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #35,325 of 40,676
Old, thanks for sharing. When I play mine on my Brinkmann DAC, streaming from The Memory Player in DSD 2X, I don’t need EQ as long as it’s not some of the crappy 80’s recordings. On some rock, I often dial back a bit where needed.
Hit me up I may let my SP2Kt go reluctantly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back