Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 17, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #35,282 of 40,684
i do wonder if there's any progress on fitting Evo into a custom
You would have to have Dumbo ears for it to fit. I've got really big ears and I don't think a custom EVO would fit into my ears.

Mar 17, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #35,283 of 40,684
No debating the bass...it's the best I ever heard. But what about the upper mids and lower treble? I couldn't tolerate either. Any better with the Cayin versus other DAPs?
This isn't an attempt to troll - it's a genuine question.
I find it better with Cayin given the ability to change N8ii's tonal characteristics:
  • Dual Timbre: Solid State/Vacuum Tube
  • DOM: P/P+
  • DAO: Class A/Class AB
  • Digital Filters: (2xPCM, 3xDSD)
Listening to LSO Mozart Wind Concertos in DSD512 and find it smooth without harshness yet detailed - currently using M gain, P power mode, Tube and Class A. Class A smoothing mids and treble little sparkle. Otherwise I'm usually in M (L with EXT) gain, P+ power mode, Tube and Class AB for that extra bass punch.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #35,284 of 40,684
The EA Ares ll cable that came with my Zeus had pins that were very tight. I later bought other EA Ares lls (4-wires) and one had pins that were tight and one had pins that were slightly loose. I actually had a head drop off a couple of times while winding up the cable, to the point where I would continuously check that it was on tight (always the same side). My Eletech, PWA 1960 & Stormbreaker have pins that fit well without being too tight or too loose.

I had a hard time removing the original cable from the Zeus - had my wife and her sneaky finger help (she makes jewelry). Since then, no real issues.

The PWA 1960 pins are .78 for a fact.

Mar 17, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #35,285 of 40,684
No debating the bass...it's the best I ever heard. But what about the upper mids and lower treble? I couldn't tolerate either. Any better with the Cayin versus other DAPs?
This isn't an attempt to troll - it's a genuine question.
The solution to sensitivity to EVO upper mids/lower treble is Chord Mojo 2 DSP EQ. It has a 3k hz filter for this exact purpose. Small price to pay for the best bass in the business.

Mar 17, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #35,286 of 40,684
The solution to sensitivity to EVO upper mids/lower treble is Chord Mojo 2 DSP EQ. It has a 3k hz filter for this exact purpose. Small price to pay for the best bass in the business.
My findings, exactly. The UHD DSP is a very unique design that functions as advertised. I was going to buy the Cayin N8ii but the Mojo 2 and Poly may have saved me cash.

Mar 17, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #35,288 of 40,684
haha I keep asking despite having tiny ears :rolling_eyes:
I don’t think you’d have to have larger ear canals for custom EVO. I’d imagine it would be the same for any custom. They mold your ears and make it fit based on that alone. If they can’t make a proportionately acceptable custom variant for component size reasons, I doubt they’d even try.

Mar 17, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #35,289 of 40,684
I don’t think you’d have to have larger ear canals for custom EVO. I’d imagine it would be the same for any custom. They mold your ears and make it fit based on that alone. If they can’t make a proportionately acceptable custom variant for component size reasons, I doubt they’d even try.
My Custom LX are flush against my ear. That means the entire monitor is inside my ear. I like it that way. Given how big the EVO is, I don't see how that would be possible.

Mar 17, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #35,291 of 40,684
The EA Ares ll cable that came with my Zeus had pins that were very tight. I later bought other EA Ares lls (4-wires) and one had pins that were tight and one had pins that were slightly loose. I actually had a head drop off a couple of times while winding up the cable, to the point where I would continuously check that it was on tight (always the same side). My Eletech, PWA 1960 & Stormbreaker have pins that fit well without being too tight or too loose.

I had a hard time removing the original cable from the Zeus - had my wife and her sneaky finger help (she makes jewelry). Since then, no real issues.

The PWA 1960 pins are .78 for a fact.
The big names are pretty solid. While they're usually just using branded versions of the cheaper oem parts, they also tend to have much better QC regarding tolerances of the pin size. The only issue I've ran into was Plussound's cables in the heatshrink era, I had to flatten the pins slightly to get them to stay in any iem at all. I actually had my Zeus fall off on the bus just taking it out of the case.

Inversely the sockets themselves might also be a cause. RE the Wraith I owned for a time never had the stock Cleo removed, but no cable from PW, Eletech or EA had a snug fit despite having a snug fit on my Odin (Not Plussound bad, but still would fall off with slightly more force)

Same. I’d be curious to see if they’d have to make it that much larger based on interior components or shell material.
Empire iems looking like a JH in terms of the size is one thought that makes me shudder.

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #35,292 of 40,684
Oops. I could not resist and bought an Odin again... I found them way too forward the first time... but I now know better which genres to match them with and which to avoid, and I managed to get the upper mids of the EVO under control... So I will try again. They are so beautiful and sound great, other than the upper mids... So fingers crossed... :)

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #35,293 of 40,684
Oops. I could not resist and bought an Odin again... I found them way too forward the first time... but I now know better which genres to match them with and which to avoid, and I managed to get the upper mids of the EVO under control... So I will try again. They are so beautiful and sound great, other than the upper mids... So fingers crossed... :)
I love it. Odin is still in my top 5 due to it technical chops and tuning. It's tuning really works well for certain music types like Classical music. I can see how it would be harsh for heavy metal.

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #35,294 of 40,684
I love it. Odin is still in my top 5 due to it technical chops and tuning. It's tuning really works well for certain music types like Classical music. I can see how it would be harsh for heavy metal.
I plan to use it with jazz mainly.. 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back