Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 23, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #35,326 of 40,613
sub, I now understand. I PM'd you back. I still need to figure out what I'm going to do overall, lol.

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #35,327 of 40,613
If you are listening for 6+ hours daily to an iem that is bass-centric, prepare for hearing loss as you get older. Long-term listening to iems at even a reasonable volume will impact your hearing. I listened to speakers for years and that got me. Iems are sending all that sound directly into your ears. Fortunately for me I only have some loss in the upper frequencies. I have friends who have it for most or all frequencies. As we age, things wear out. And you can’t get an operation to “fix” your ears the way you can get new lenses for your eyes. I had my eyes done last year and am now 20/20. Ears? Can’t fix ‘‘em so you end up with hearing aids. Just FYi that no one wants to hear. 😄
Thanks for the warning. I should have clarified that I don’t plan on listening for 6+ hours every day, only that I would like my choice of IEM to be comfortable to wear for long listening sessions when the need arises, which is usually once or twice a week. The point still stands though, definitely don’t want to lose my hearing before I reach my 40’s!

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #35,328 of 40,613
Responded to wrong message

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #35,329 of 40,613
Not distinct but they are different.

No. Sold Evo and X just sits in a case as i got something i like better (as a whole).

No. I would get the X, even though the EVO is cleaner and better overall minus treble.

I think so.

N/A
Thanks for the reply.

Why exactly would you choose the X over the EVO? Would have thought most would choose the EVO over the X.

What did you get that has replaced your X?

I am looking for a “fun” IEM for trance/house/EDM to go alongside my 64 Audio A12t, and was planning on getting a Legend X for a while, but the arrival of the EVO complicated things in a good way I guess.

Out of the Legend X and the EVO, which would you choose for those genres?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #35,330 of 40,613
The corrolary is that as long as I'm feeling the rumble, I'm golden that's why we're in the EE thread, right? 😝

Seriously though, I have generic hearing loss (mostly struggle with making out conversations in noisy rooms) and while it's a great way to filter out small talk, it does often get in the way of constructive dialogue. I also have mild tinnitus, but that's triggered by treble, not bass. I can listen to great sub-bass all day and my ears are fine; 5 minutes of hot treble and my ears are full of cicadas for the rest of the day.
Me too @gLer- one of the many reasons why I so value your reviews (which are also excellent technically)- I think we hear things very similarly.

Medically speaking (for I am an MD) excessive volume is the ear- damaging component of sound; HOWEVER, because bass tends to be more tolerable than treble at high volume, we may tend more to crank up the volume on bass heavy songs to a dangerous level. Also, as hearing sensitivity decreases at a particular frequency, we need to boost that frequency to hear it well, but that greater volume may nevertheless further damage the inner ear organ.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #35,331 of 40,613
Thanks for the reply.

Why exactly would you choose the X over the EVO? Would have thought most would choose the EVO over the X.

I am looking for a “fun” IEM for trance/house/EDM to go alongside my 64 Audio A12t, and was planning on getting a Legend X for a while, but the arrival of the EVO complicated things in a good way I guess.

Recently got X INSTEAD OF Evo because of concerns about the bone conduction driver. I have a very unusual external ear canal anatomy making simultaneous seal/insertion of tips and direct contact of the IEM shell with the ear pinna tricky. Not sorry- LX is fantastic, AND I got a great deal from Andrew at Musicteck. So good, I think EE may be about to discontinue LX.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #35,332 of 40,613
The worst part of IEMs (especially) is that as you listen during a session, you tend to turn up the volume as you get accustomed to the level you are already at. I try to pick a volume I consider safe and stay in that area no matter what my ears are telling me.

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #35,333 of 40,613
The worst part of IEMs (especially) is that as you listen during a session, you tend to turn up the volume as you get accustomed to the level you are already at. I try to pick a volume I consider safe and stay in that area no matter what my ears are telling me.
Also what I do as well. Having customs really helps with this, I never really find the urge to crank it.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #35,334 of 40,613

Agreed. This used to happen to me all the time, especially with music I was really fond of. But I’ve changed my habit since I had a recent experience where I had tinnitus from a listening session, and that was a wake up call for me to never go over 85dB with general listening at 80dB. If I damaged my hearing from listening too loud, I would never forgive myself since music listening is my greatest passion.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #35,335 of 40,613
Me too @gLer- one of the many reasons why I so value your reviews (which are also excellent technically)- I think we hear things very similarly.

Medically speaking (for I am an MD) excessive volume is the ear- damaging component of sound; HOWEVER, because bass tends to be more tolerable than treble at high volume, we may tend more to crank up the volume on bass heavy songs to a dangerous level. Also, as hearing sensitivity decreases at a particular frequency, we need to boost that frequency to hear it well, but that greater volume may nevertheless further damage the inner ear organ.
Thanks for the kind words 😊 Yeah I can crank up the volume really high with IEMs that don't exaggerate the treble or upper mids. I can tolerate dangerous levels of bass. That said, I tend to listen at lower volumes nowadays, especially at night, probably around ~70-75dB if I had to guess. I tend to favour IEMs that can deliver a real bass kick and rumble at lower volumes, and I feel EVO does that better than LX.
I'm with you there. I generally adjust volume to comfortable vocal levels, and let the IEM do the rest. I tend to use IEMs with not too forward vocals, so when I adjust for vocals, the instruments are big too.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #35,336 of 40,613
I got my tinnitus from an MRI. Those things sound like you are in a metal garbage can and it’s being hit with hammers. I may have been heading for it before but after that experience is when I began to hear it all the time

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #35,337 of 40,613
that is the same with over the ear HP's as well...kind of like having a drink and needing more to maintain the same buzz

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #35,338 of 40,613
Thanks for the reply.

Ill go a little out of order as you answered the reason why at the end. My selection of music(metal) didnt translate well for me. Drum parts i could hear (mainly cymbals) i couldnt hear like i can on the X.

For any dub, electronic, dnb, hiphop type music the EVO are incredible for. The X has more more bass for sure and more bloom. Which i dont mind.

The EVO is incredible otherwise.

I bought the VE EXT and have been very happy. Not quite as bass oriented but its the first IEM that has surpressed wanting or needing more bass.

BOL on your decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back