Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 24, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #32,596 of 40,563
If I do decide in time to up my spending limit for IEMs, I am not sure between Odin and Legend Evo. I feel like Odin may be better since EVO is another bass IEM like my Legend X even if it is technically superior.
This will very much depend on the music you want it for. Vocal, acoustic, soundtracks, classical =Odin. (for me at least)

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #32,597 of 40,563
Great photos, thanks for sharing. Love the look of the cable. Can't wait to hear impressions on the sound!

I'm a hobbyist photographer as well. See you have the 6D mkII with the 100 macro. I shoot Canon as well (5DIV and will get the R5), mainly landscape and wildlife. So if it isn't cold, hot, misty, or will possibly charge at me, I don't have much experience photographing it. (Sorry, a little off topic)

And your second series of photos is just stunning :beerchug:
Thanks so much. I wanted to experiment a bit. I always take photos of my products for my blog. I might get a light box and some interesting surfaces to play with...

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #32,598 of 40,563
Thanks so much. I wanted to experiment a bit. I always take photos of my products for my blog. I might get a light box and some interesting surfaces to play with...
Just in case you're not familiar with Scott Kelby, he has a site (kelbyone.com) with a ton of photography and image processing instruction, all from current pros in their respective areas. I recall a few courses on product photography, not that you need any help; but I've learned a lot there and always share the site.

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #32,599 of 40,563
Interesting. I haven't heard the MEST mkII, but I would say exactly what you said about Odin about the MEST OG. It lacks warmth and sounds thin relative to Odin. I am A/B testing them right now with a DX300amp12 and Odin is rendering a much more balanced sound with far more warmth than MEST. The MEST OG has a graininess to its treble that is a pretty big flaw and the bass texture is weak. Odin has much better resolution especially in the treble. To me, what is special about the MEST OG is its soundstage and imaging. It's for this reason I listen to MEST OG with Classical music and Jazz. I also listen to Odin with these genre, but I listen to Odin as an all arounder.

Then, I listened to my LX and it just doesn't work for John Williams music. It is imbalanced, bloated in the bass and is very muddy. No treble air. This explains why when I reach for my LX, I don't instantly think of listening to sound tracks.

You should know the baseline of how I hear these IEMs to adjust for what I say about the EVO with this music.
Yeh from what i gather in Mest forums OG was much leaner sounding with sharper lower treble. And those who own both say that there was some midbass and lower mids boost along with lower treble smoothing out.

mkII has similar bass texture with significantly more subbass and similar midbass to Odin. Hence a bit more warmth. Upper mids are not as boosted on Mest but has some bite for sure. Mest mkII has i think a touch more treble quantity upper treble especially. Both have fantastic treble, not sure which one i like better but both sure are more to my liking. None of them are fatiquing. But yes Odins resolution is quite a bit ahead. It better be for price difference.
Though soundstage and imaging on Mest has more of a 3d effect due to its insane height even compared to Odin. Odin is not far of but when i switched back to LX the difference of space was.. Night and day😋

This actually was a reason i pulled a trigger on Evo - LX bass with Mest soundstage and imaging for 3k? pff.. no brainer.

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #32,600 of 40,563
Just in case you're not familiar with Scott Kelby, he has a site (kelbyone.com) with a ton of photography and image processing instruction, all from current pros in their respective areas. I recall a few courses on product photography, not that you need any help; but I've learned a lot there and always share the site.
Thank you very much. I am always happy to learn and evolve. Usually I just start through learning by doing like in this case😅

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #32,601 of 40,563
Yeh from what i gather in Mest forums OG was much leaner sounding with sharper lower treble. And those who own both say that there was some midbass and lower mids boost along with lower treble smoothing out.

mkII has similar bass texture with significantly more subbass and similar midbass to Odin. Hence a bit more warmth. Upper mids are not as boosted on Mest but has some bite for sure. Mest mkII has i think a touch more treble quantity upper treble especially. Both have fantastic treble, not sure which one i like better but both sure are more to my liking. None of them are fatiquing. But yes Odins resolution is quite a bit ahead. It better be for price difference.
Though soundstage and imaging on Mest has more of a 3d effect due to its insane height even compared to Odin. Odin is not far of but when i switched back to LX the difference of space was.. Night and day😋

This actually was a reason i pulled a trigger on Evo - LX bass with Mest soundstage and imaging for 3k? pff.. no brainer.
I completely agree. I think you made the right call to buy EVO

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #32,602 of 40,563
Day 2 of the EVO... smoked these puppies overnight to accelerate burn in. Continuing to impress me. I think they got the upper mids dead on with these and I don't think the people who were offended by Odin upper mids will have an issue with these.... speaking generally now.. there's always an exception to the rule. Just a broad generalization of the differences I am picking out. disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer. Either the bass weight and Weapon X are taming them a bit, or they lowered them a bit. Either way it translates nicely.

Sep 24, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #32,603 of 40,563
20210924_155426.jpg

Sep 24, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #32,604 of 40,563
LOL, I might have talked a buddy of mine into buying the Odin. I have been wanting to hear that set as I have surmised, based on sorting through various comments I've read from users I've slowly gotten to "know" preferences-wise over the last 18 months, that maybe an Odin with less upper mids energy would be my jam.

If he does get them, I can finally find out if my assumption is correct. I've thought about just buying a used set, but not sure how I feel about taking a several hundred $ hit (on a resale) just to try them at this stage of my audio engagement. I know, you gotta pay to play at this level, but I'm just not neck-deep in audio like I used to be, hahahaha.
If you get Odin just stick with it. Once burnt in (100 hrs min) that mid elevation will open up and reveal even more detail. At first I worried they weren’t for me but now they are top of my collection.

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #32,605 of 40,563
I have the EVO connected to the DX300MAX and giving them a little juice...way too early to comment critically. I have picked out a couple of bassy tracks before I let them season, it is bad ass.

20210924_172718.jpg

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #32,607 of 40,563
Guys, you might have not all realized. But next weekend it is going to be 1 week less waiting for Evo left than this one.

Thought id throw a reminder.

Yay!
And 1 week closer to a year from now, when I hope to be able to pick one up in the classifieds...😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back