Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 23, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #32,566 of 40,591
Is the treble much different from LX OG? I mean as in does it roll off slightly and upper treble takes a step back? Or is it well extended and more linear?
No. It’s a denser more extended treble. Definitely more linear and as Alex said in his review, the higher mid roll into treble is seamless so the coherence is preventing a tug of war so to speak.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #32,567 of 40,591
If anyone has Azla Crystal TWS tips, would you mind trying those with Odin/Bravado 2/LX to see if they a) fit and b) allow for a shallower or more comfortable fit than standard tips?

Edit: also, do Crystals keep their shape like regular silicone tips (unlike Xelastec that distort)? And can they be cleaned with alcohol swabs (unlike Xelastec that can't)?
I used to use azla sednaearfit tips on my Odin. Once I got the Crysfals, I switched and never looked back. Much better isolation. They maintain their shape nicely unlile the xelastec

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #32,568 of 40,591
Is the treble much different from LX OG? I mean as in does it roll off slightly and upper treble takes a step back? Or is it well extended and more linear?
Give me a few tracks and I will A/B test my Custom LX with the EVO this weekend

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #32,569 of 40,591
So I have listened to EVO for a couple of hours but can't form a full opinion yet. I started following @twister6 example and started burning them in by letting them play over night on a cayin N8. 20hrs now on them with more to go. Also, I need the LX and Odin back from a customer to compare. That said, for me the EVO is not an easy IEM to fully get my head around and see all their capabilities.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #32,570 of 40,591
Give me a few tracks and I will A/B test my Custom LX with the EVO this weekend
Wait what? You are getting yours too? 🙄😄

To be honest i dont have anything coming to mind in particular. But i would like a bit of upper treble on top of LX OG just to make it a bit more pronounced with classical or OSTs. EDM honestly was perfect with LX OG too.
Im not expecting it to be U18T. Just a touch of extra sparkle.
What @CL14715 and @twister6 mentioned about linear transition from mids to treble is important. But its the far top end id like to to have extra spice.

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #32,571 of 40,591

To be honest i dont have anything coming to mind in particular. But i would like a bit of upper treble on top of LX OG just to make it a bit more pronounced with classical or OSTs. EDM honestly was perfect with LX OG too.
What @CL14715 and @twister6 mentioned about linear transition from mids to treble is important. But its the far top end id like to to have extra spice.
I will be at Can Jam and can listen to the EVO there

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #32,572 of 40,591

EVO would not be my first choice for Classical music. What you want is Odin. To me, the Odin is the best for anything piano. It really handles upper harmonics great, the forward upper mids makes the piano forward and present and you get nice treble air with it. The EVO is a basshead IEM which is not the best signature for Classical music. My LX presents classical music is a very dark way. It's interesting, but definitely not reference. EVO is a little better, but still not ideal. Odin is much better especially with the Hugo 2 which is what it was tuned with..

I listen to a lot of soundtracks, too. My favorite playlist is the John Williams collection. I'll try to listen to it this weekend and let you know how it sounds. I know that music like the back of my hand.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #32,573 of 40,591
EVO would not be my first choice for Classical music. What you want is Odin. To me, the Odin is the best for anything piano. It really handles upper harmonics great, the forward upper mids makes the piano forward and present and you get nice treble air with it. The EVO is a basshead IEM which is not the best signature for Classical music. My LX presents classical music is a very dark way. It's interesting, but definitely not reference. EVO is a little better, but still not ideal. Odin is much better especially with the Hugo 2 which is what it was tuned with..
Yes, my choice for classical would be Mest mkII for sure. Odin lacked warmth. And as i say classical. I meant orchestral mainly. Also im not looking for typical reference gear. What most people call reference are usually to lean and bright for me. Even a piano has to have a bit of body and Odin upper mids while being great is just too far up front from bass and lower mids. It worked nice with EDM though.
And as i have no intention of owning multiple iems just for an odd listening session of genre that i like but dont go mad about.

So really my point here is to compare LX vs Evo not to find a best iem for classical if you know what i mean. Besides there are other genres that would benefit for some sparkle. LX OG was one of best experiences with Rock tracks. Having that nice body in guitars and thunderous drums was awesome. But hihats etc were a a touch further back. Not bad, just could do with a bit more presence.
Both OG and Evo Are coloured signatures and therefore will not be best all-rounders, i get that. But there are things that can help that for sure.

Just curious what the difference is in treble region. Thats all. So your comparison impressions will be most welcome.

Sep 24, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #32,574 of 40,591
For me, orchestral and soundtracks (and my favourite sub-genre, trailer music) need deep, powerful and textured bass (especially sub-bass rumble and decay) to really shine. That's why they sound so good on life-size, subwoofer-based home theatre systems. If the bass is too lean, they fall flat. LX is already superb with these genres, but I get what @Skullar is saying about that extra bit of extension and clarity up top. I think BC is also going to add a life-like dimension to the music. I have my test tracks lined up and ready to go next week!

Sep 24, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #32,577 of 40,591
Just be aware all that intend to A/B LX and EVO… Start with the LX. Once you listen to EVO and go back to LX it’s going to sound veiled and bloated. The clarity difference is going to be distracting.

I hate using "night'n'day difference" phrase cause it sounds noobish when saying it :D, but there is no other way to describe after you spend time listening to EVO and then switch to LX. So, yeah, 100% agree, man.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #32,578 of 40,591
It seems like IEMs are approaching headphones…….in size 😁

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #32,579 of 40,591

I listen to a lot of soundtracks, too. My favorite playlist is the John Williams collection. I'll try to listen to it this weekend and let you know how it sounds. I know that music like the back of my hand.
I agree to everything you just said. Big John Williams fan here too. 👍😊

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #32,580 of 40,591
I hate using "night'n'day difference" phrase cause it sounds noobish when saying it :D, but there is no other way to describe after you spend time listening to EVO and then switch to LX. So, yeah, 100% agree, man.
I feel the EVO is changing with ongoing burn in. Thanks for the idea 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back