Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 24, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #32,581 of 40,591
I feel the EVO is changing with ongoing burn in. Thanks for the idea 👍
Always a good idea to give those giant woofers 100+ hours if burn-in. Not to say they aren't great out the box, but they will tighten up over time. Not sure if the BC driver also changes tactility over time, but the DDs definitely do.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #32,582 of 40,591
Yes, my choice for classical would be Mest mkII for sure. Odin lacked warmth. And as i say classical. I meant orchestral mainly. Also im not looking for typical reference gear. What most people call reference are usually to lean and bright for me. Even a piano has to have a bit of body and Odin upper mids while being great is just too far up front from bass and lower mids. It worked nice with EDM though.
And as i have no intention of owning multiple iems just for an odd listening session of genre that i like but dont go mad about.

So really my point here is to compare LX vs Evo not to find a best iem for classical if you know what i mean. Besides there are other genres that would benefit for some sparkle. LX OG was one of best experiences with Rock tracks. Having that nice body in guitars and thunderous drums was awesome. But hihats etc were a a touch further back. Not bad, just could do with a bit more presence.
Both OG and Evo Are coloured signatures and therefore will not be best all-rounders, i get that. But there are things that can help that for sure.

Just curious what the difference is in treble region. Thats all. So your comparison impressions will be most welcome.
Interesting. I haven't heard the MEST mkII, but I would say exactly what you said about Odin about the MEST OG. It lacks warmth and sounds thin relative to Odin. I am A/B testing them right now with a DX300amp12 and Odin is rendering a much more balanced sound with far more warmth than MEST. The MEST OG has a graininess to its treble that is a pretty big flaw and the bass texture is weak. Odin has much better resolution especially in the treble. To me, what is special about the MEST OG is its soundstage and imaging. It's for this reason I listen to MEST OG with Classical music and Jazz. I also listen to Odin with these genre, but I listen to Odin as an all arounder.

Then, I listened to my LX and it just doesn't work for John Williams music. It is imbalanced, bloated in the bass and is very muddy. No treble air. This explains why when I reach for my LX, I don't instantly think of listening to sound tracks.

You should know the baseline of how I hear these IEMs to adjust for what I say about the EVO with this music.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #32,583 of 40,591
Oops. Didn't realise Xelastec couldn't be cleaned with alcohol wipes 😳
Yep, says in the website too. It's one of the reasons I stopped using them. That and the stickiness and the fact they deform after a week or less of use. Too expensive to be disposable. Hoping Crystal will last like all my other silicone tips, which is to say months if not years.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #32,584 of 40,591
Yep, says in the website too. It's one of the reasons I stopped using them. That and the stickiness and the fact they deform after a week or less of use. Too expensive to be disposable. Hoping Crystal will last like all my other silicone tips, which is to say months if not years.
Yes. Crystals are more like silicone tips, you can clean them similarly. They aren't sticky like the Xelastec tips.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #32,585 of 40,591
Steve is currently en route to CanJam so I figured I'd post the link here to his video:

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Sep 24, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #32,586 of 40,591
For me, orchestral and soundtracks (and my favourite sub-genre, trailer music) need deep, powerful and textured bass (especially sub-bass rumble and decay) to really shine. That's why they sound so good on life-size, subwoofer-based home theatre systems. If the bass is too lean, they fall flat. LX is already superb with these genres, but I get what @Skullar is saying about that extra bit of extension and clarity up top. I think BC is also going to add a life-like dimension to the music. I have my test tracks lined up and ready to go next week!
For me, I think the Oriolus Isabellae is my favorite IEM for sound tracks. I think it does the best job at achieving the movie effect you are seeking. You can hear the deep bass, but it maintains a much better balanced sound for sound tracks. And, the Isabellae has the best instrumental timbre I've heard in an IEM, so sound track music sounds very natural and like you are in the theatre.

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #32,587 of 40,591
For me, I think the Oriolus Isabellae is my favorite IEM for sound tracks. I think it does the best job at achieving the movie effect you are seeking. You can hear the deep bass, but it maintains a much better balanced sound for sound tracks. And, the Isabellae has the best instrumental timbre I've heard in an IEM, so sound track music sounds very natural and like you are in the theatre.
We'll agree to disagree here. The Isabellae does many things right, but just doesn't have the (sub)bass weight and depth to pull off soundtracks and epic cinematic music scores the way I like to hear them. I get your preferences though, so can see why Isa would suit them better than it does mine.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #32,588 of 40,591
I feel the EVO is changing with ongoing burn in. Thanks for the idea 👍
I have a feeling the EVO will be the same as LX as far as seasoning is concerned. I shudder to think that the quick listen crowd will start to write their impressions without it. The Valk MK2 also improved with seasoning. I will know more this afternoon when I get home and listen to EVO.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #32,589 of 40,591
I have a feeling the EVO will be the same as LX as far as seasoning is concerned. I shudder to think that the quick listen crowd will start to write their impressions without it. The Valk MK2 also improved with seasoning. I will know more this afternoon when I get home and listen to EVO.
Enjoy. I saw this especially with the Odin. It took time. But it's worth it.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #32,590 of 40,591
We'll agree to disagree here. The Isabellae does many things right, but just doesn't have the (sub)bass weight and depth to pull off soundtracks and epic cinematic music scores the way I like to hear them. I get your preferences though, so can see why Isa would suit them better than it does mine.
It definitely does not have the sub bass weight. The Isa is midbass focused. What I am saying is that listening to the Isa right now with the John Williams sound track playlist, this sounds the most like I am at the movies of any IEM I own. There is sufficient bass to give me the perception that I am in the theatre. I am not getting the THX rumble, but you aren't getting that with any IEM.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #32,591 of 40,591
Sep 24, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #32,592 of 40,591
If I do decide in time to up my spending limit for IEMs, I am not sure between Odin and Legend Evo. I feel like Odin may be better since EVO is another bass IEM like my Legend X even if it is technically superior.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #32,593 of 40,591
LOL, I might have talked a buddy of mine into buying the Odin. I have been wanting to hear that set as I have surmised, based on sorting through various comments I've read from users I've slowly gotten to "know" preferences-wise over the last 18 months, that maybe an Odin with less upper mids energy would be my jam.

If he does get them, I can finally find out if my assumption is correct. I've thought about just buying a used set, but not sure how I feel about taking a several hundred $ hit (on a resale) just to try them at this stage of my audio engagement. I know, you gotta pay to play at this level, but I'm just not neck-deep in audio like I used to be, hahahaha.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #32,594 of 40,591
Great photos, thanks for sharing. Love the look of the cable. Can't wait to hear impressions on the sound!

Well, thank you very much. I am just a hobbyist regarding photography. I do take photos of most of my products, especially the manufacturer ones I am not happy with. 😅 I have more on my Instagram but happy to share here in the future.
I'm a hobbyist photographer as well. See you have the 6D mkII with the 100 macro. I shoot Canon as well (5DIV and will get the R5), mainly landscape and wildlife. So if it isn't cold, hot, misty, or will possibly charge at me, I don't have much experience photographing it. (Sorry, a little off topic)

And your second series of photos is just stunning :beerchug:

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #32,595 of 40,591
I am heading to CanJam this week. So, I will be able to hear the EVO again in 2 days. Woo hoo!
Same here. I'm sure there will be quite the crowd around the EE booth.

Then, I listened to my LX and it just doesn't work for John Williams music. It is imbalanced, bloated in the bass and is very muddy. No treble air. This explains why when I reach for my LX, I don't instantly think of listening to sound tracks.
Wondering if your take varies depending on the soundtrack composer. For example, Hans Zimmer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back