Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #28,156 of 40,675
LX is great for rock that doesn't rely on heavy treble/cymbal presence (although that sparkle does nicely shine through the darker sig from time to time)-and who are we kidding, who listens to rock just for cymbals? lol
Very true - who cares about treble?! 🤣

For metal, I felt it was a bit too thick and slow, but of course depends which genre of metal you are referring to. Odin IMO does metal music better with its faster transients and airiness.
Odin is not an option. Even LX is above my comfort zone for IEM price...

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #28,157 of 40,675
You got a great set of them, gorgeous pattern. I'll catch up on the thread but I have no doubt you'll see why I was so hyped many moons ago about these bad boys. Enjoy!

Yeah I've been comparing them to a few other photos which seem to have more red / orange in them. I'd say the variety of colours in mine are fairly evenly distributed... Not complaining one bit, they all look stunning.

217344DF-577E-4EFC-BE3F-136C0AC4ED52.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #28,160 of 40,675
Odin is not an option. Even LX is above my comfort zone for IEM price...
There is an easy solution to that problem. Start setting your eyes on the Traillii, then tell yourself you can't justify an all BA/EST IEM for $6000. It makes it much easier to justify buying both an Odin and an LX which together are cheaper than one bird. That's 8 W9 Dynamic Drivers.

edited post to add missing drivers.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #28,161 of 40,675
There is an easy solution to that problem. Start setting your eyes on the Traillii, then tell yourself you can't justify an all BA IEM for $6000. It makes it much easier to justify buying both an Odin and an LX which together are cheaper than one bird. That's 8 W9 Dynamic Drivers.

Traillii is 4 EST 8 BA :wink:

Also just another casual LX SE reminder 👀

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #28,162 of 40,675
Traillii is 4 EST 8 BA :wink:

Also just another casual LX SE reminder 👀
Sorry, I forgot. I am trying to keep that IEM out of my mind as much as possible for fear of liking it in some way.

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #28,164 of 40,675
Apr 5, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #28,165 of 40,675
Apr 5, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #28,166 of 40,675
Nah. I rather keep both my kidneys :wink:
Me too.....oooh wait... I already sold one.

Ok I rather keep at least one kidney.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #28,167 of 40,675
odin/legend fans of top shelf EDM, should have a BLAST with this mix (old school prog , from 2001)

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #28,168 of 40,675
With all the LX talk, and me seriously considering getting a custom LX - I decided to make sure my custom Bravados still fit 100% right... (which would mean EE can reuse my ear impressions for the LX)
I have not used my Bravados for almost a year (thanks to covid and staying home all day EVERY day... :unamused:). I used them mostly for travel before...
Anyhow, left CIEM fits perfectly, but right CIEM causes irritation and discomfort after 10-15 minutes :cry:
I am not ruling out that my right ear canal might be slightly swollen or irritated (without me knowing), but IF the right CIEM fit was marginal from the get go, and now (a year later) fit is not great due to whatever changes to my ear... what is the way to go about mending the issue? I do not expect EE to do it for free, but I wonder what should be my next step? Anyone got any similar story or experience?
I will let my ear rest for a few hours (or a day) and try again... Also, I have older CIEMs (from different vendor) that I could try to see if they fit properly.

If I were within reasonable distance from EE - I would go and try the universal LX. If the great folks at EE can find ANY tips that would fit properly, seal, and not slide out every 30 seconds (my normal negative experience with universals...) - I would just buy universal and forget about customs!

Tips / ideas / suggestions?

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #28,169 of 40,675
If the great folks at EE can find ANY tips that would fit properly, seal, and not slide out every 30 seconds (my normal negative experience with universals...) - I would just buy universal and forget about customs!
I got Azla Earfit Short (black ones) on monday, they have pretty hard material and fit rediculously tight, even tho they have right size. I've never experienced this high audio isolation, it's almost like you're underwater. You can feel every subbass microvibration with these. Is it custom-like experience?

I'd say this is as tight as it gets, maybe aside Azla Xelastec, so if you have some other universals, try getting these tips and check. They are quite larger than usual, so get MS if you have medium sized ears.

Also, what iems have you had problems with? Universal LX shell shape is semi-custom and holds iem by itself pretty well regardless of eartips.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #28,170 of 40,675
With all the LX talk, and me seriously considering getting a custom LX - I decided to make sure my custom Bravados still fit 100% right... (which would mean EE can reuse my ear impressions for the LX)
I have not used my Bravados for almost a year (thanks to covid and staying home all day EVERY day... :unamused:). I used them mostly for travel before...
Anyhow, left CIEM fits perfectly, but right CIEM causes irritation and discomfort after 10-15 minutes :cry:
I am not ruling out that my right ear canal might be slightly swollen or irritated (without me knowing), but IF the right CIEM fit was marginal from the get go, and now (a year later) fit is not great due to whatever changes to my ear... what is the way to go about mending the issue? I do not expect EE to do it for free, but I wonder what should be my next step? Anyone got any similar story or experience?
I will let my ear rest for a few hours (or a day) and try again... Also, I have older CIEMs (from different vendor) that I could try to see if they fit properly.

If I were within reasonable distance from EE - I would go and try the universal LX. If the great folks at EE can find ANY tips that would fit properly, seal, and not slide out every 30 seconds (my normal negative experience with universals...) - I would just buy universal and forget about customs!

Tips / ideas / suggestions?
Azla tips and foam work best for me. I used to struggle with universals too, now I can manage quite alright. Custom provides an even better fit, but yes, our ears change. My understanding is that our ears keep growing, so I would expect CIEMs to fit less tight, not tighter over time. I hope for you it's just a matter of getting used to them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back