Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 4, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #28,126 of 40,731
Hey, has anyone here tried the 1960s 2-wire with the LX SE?!? Since it’s a darker sounding cable would it deepen the bass and reduce the elevated mids and highs?!?

Not the SE LX, but the LX, I'm thinking that if the 1950s is a better match, then a little slice of nirvana. The 1960 elevates the mid-range and treble, adding a bit more life and sparkle, but no tiz. My favorite prior to the 1960 was the Leo/Thor 8 wire, it blows me away that this scrawny little copper cable’s better, across the board.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #28,127 of 40,731
Apr 4, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #28,128 of 40,731
Not the SE LX, but the LX, I'm thinking that if the 1950s is a better match, then a little slice of nirvana. The 1960 elevates the mid-range and treble, adding a bit more life and sparkle, but no tiz. My favorite prior to the 1960 was the Leo/Thor 8 wire, it blows me away that this scrawny little copper cable’s better, across the board.

I love the aesthetics of the 8-wire cables but they’re just too bulky for my taste as an EDC wire. The 4-wire cables are more comfortable and much more practical to me.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #28,130 of 40,731
What’s your favorite cable for the LX?
I had a 1960s clone the last time I spent time with it. So definitely that, it feels a bit more balance with the 1960s.

I do wish I had time to test it with the clone 1950s when that was in my hands.

Based on my time with the Leo II, I might enjoy that as a close second.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #28,131 of 40,731
I had a 1960s clone the last time I spent time with it. So definitely that, it feels a bit more balance with the 1960s.

I do wish I had time to test it with the clone 1950s when that was in my hands.

Based on my time with the Leo II, I might enjoy that as a close second.

I’m eventually going to get all three cables to do some extensive testing, including a “bonus” cable once it’s done. In the short time I’ve had it, my 4.4mm balanced Leo II has completely blown me away as far as expectations go though.

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #28,132 of 40,731
My eardrums ruptured in a parallel universe from that suggestion :sweat_smile:

Maybe it's balanced like the Thummim? @mvvRAZ time to get a SE and tell us. In the name of science!
I really liked the OG LX personally, I’d love to get one as a CIEM but if I did, I don’t think I’d want it to have more upper mids

I’d love to be able to demo things without commitment again, COVID is a bitch

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #28,133 of 40,731
Ok so the nice delivery driver brought these beauties a day earlier than expected.... very very initial impressions, these are clearly a step beyond anything I've heard technically.... like a huge step above. The first thing I thought when pressing play was "this is like peering through a pane of crystal clear glass... in HD" and then the bass kicked in... The bass is absolutely ridiculous hahaha, the definition, layers and depth, I've never heard anything like it. Very impressed. I was expecting quite a subdued bass response but the impact on these are ridiculous and so soo defined and textured without overshadowing anything.
FB057EB2-D144-4070-85A4-0BF7B638135E.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #28,135 of 40,731
Ok so the nice delivery driver brought these beauties a day earlier than expected.... very very initial impressions, these are clearly a step beyond anything I've heard technically.... like a huge step above. The first thing I thought when pressing play was "this is like peering through a pane crystal clear glass... in HD" and then the bass kicked in... The bass is absolutely ridiculous hahaha, the definition, layers and depth, I've never heard anything like it. Very impressed. I was expecting quite a subdued bass response but the impact on these are ridiculous and so soo defined and textured without overshadowing anything.FB057EB2-D144-4070-85A4-0BF7B638135E.jpeg
I needed money fast, and had to let mine go (with a lot of sadness), but I would heartily second what you said!
I was thinking the bass might seem a bit anaemic, but far from it :)
I thought it was more sub-bass than mid-bass focused, but it can hit hard and go very deep when called for.

And totally agree about the stunning detail and resolution. It was quite remarkable!

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #28,136 of 40,731
I needed money fast, and had to let mine go (with a lot of sadness), but I would heartily second what you said!
I was thinking the bass might seem a bit anaemic, but far from it :)
I thought it was more sub-bass than mid-bass focused, but it can hit hard and go very deep when called for.

And totally agree about the stunning detail and resolution. It was quite remarkable!
Ahh man I saw them go up and was going to jump on it but I didn't get the good news (financially) until it had gone. I seen that it didn't stick around for long!

That was the impression I got from all of the talk of 'reference' sounding etc but this is by far the best bass I've heard. Depth, texture, and impact is off the charts. It's a very tight and detailed bass and definitely accentuated in the sub-bass... Mid bass seems spot on to me. The Z1R's could be considered a little 'dirtier' with slightly longer decay. Anyway, I'm jumping the gun by giving impressions this early but I'm loving what I'm hearing so far so I can't help myself.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #28,137 of 40,731
This on Odin... The bass...Clarity... just everything... my brain is melting :joy:
@Jack Vang - sounds like you should put a warning on the box, cigarette box style, that using your IEMs could cause brain melts... :wink:

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #28,138 of 40,731
Ok so the nice delivery driver brought these beauties a day earlier than expected.... very very initial impressions, these are clearly a step beyond anything I've heard technically.... like a huge step above. The first thing I thought when pressing play was "this is like peering through a pane of crystal clear glass... in HD" and then the bass kicked in... The bass is absolutely ridiculous hahaha, the definition, layers and depth, I've never heard anything like it. Very impressed. I was expecting quite a subdued bass response but the impact on these are ridiculous and so soo defined and textured without overshadowing anything.FB057EB2-D144-4070-85A4-0BF7B638135E.jpeg
Welcome to the wonderful world of the ODINs! I own them for around 3 weeks now and of course you get used to it, like always with improvements. But still, everytime I put them in my ears, I am in a „wow“ state with mouth open...

The only drawback I found so far for me is that they are not forgiving in bad recordings. But the upside to that is this incredible clarity, detail, resolution and sweet frequency curve.

Enjoy!!

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #28,139 of 40,731
Welcome to the wonderful world of the ODINs! I own them for around 3 weeks now and of course you get used to it, like always with improvements. But still, everytime I put them in my ears, I am in a „wow“ state with mouth open...

The only drawback I found so far for me is that they are not forgiving in bad recordings. But the upside to that is this incredible clarity, detail, resolution and sweet frequency curve.

Enjoy!!
They are extremely detailed and resolving. The difference between standard and master quality on Tidal is very apparent, these absolutely eat up high quality recordings. I haven't found a lesser quality track where it becomes unlistenable yet though while going through my playlists. I'm putting this down to the treble tuning ... Also the ESS side of the SE200 seems to be more forgiving in this regard.

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #28,140 of 40,731
I went back to Empire Ears today to get a second audition of the Legend X. If I am going to marry these IEMs, I needed to get another listen. This time, I was ready with just my Chord Mojo and Hugo 2 and my laptop running Tidal for source. And, I pitted the Legend X against the EE Odin and the Sony IER-Z1Rs. After extensive listening across all genres of music. I felt that each monitor was better for different genres of music. The Odin was better for classical music due to its resolution and tuning. The Z1R was better for Jazz due to its natural timbre and the Legend X was better for pop music due to its night club sound signature. Comparatively speaking, I didn't think that the Legend X was at the same level as the Odins and the Z1Rs. I was leaning toward no purchase since the Odins and Z1Rs were so much better overall. This was true even after EQ. Then, I did something that changed the whole game and I didn't really expect completely. I asked Josh to get me a Stormbreaker cable to replace the Stock Ares 2 cable on the demo unit of the Legend X. When he said he didn't have one, I took mine off of my Odins and put them onto the Legend X. Then, the real magic occurred. Now, the Legend X was finally at the same level as the Odins and Z1Rs and just presented a different signature that worked better with all genre comparatively. I decided to order them. In 8 weeks, I will be the proud owner of a Custom Legend X.

Below is a picture of what the custom face plates will be made of:

Dean came out and we talked extensively about IEMs. He was truly interested in what I liked in my monitors and I told him. He told me he was a former bass guitarist, so that partially explains why the bass is so good on the Empire Ears IEMs. When I told him my experience with the cables, he showed me his vast collection including a $10,000 cable. He told me the best cable he has heard is the Storm Breaker, so he wasn't surprised at my reaction with I paired it with the Legend X. Dean personally trimmed my impressions and he wanted to get them perfect, so Josh did them over until he got them the way that Dean wanted them to be. I felt like I got the royal treatment and really appreciated it. I can't wait to see how these turn out.

Attachments

• Legend X custom.jpeg
    Legend X custom.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back