Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 2, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #21,166 of 40,579
Gotta explain why you like the Nemesis better!! Please
I like the bass better. It is tighter and goes lower. It feels more balanced.

May 2, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #21,167 of 40,579
So... based on limited info... If you had to choose between the Solaris SE and U12T, which would you prefer? ( I know they sound different ) I just mean in terms of enjoyment or wow factor

Tough question and I have a feeling you are gonna get some split opinions on this. The All BA vs hybrid argument comes into this. To me, from my experiences... you just can’t get the same level of engagement from an all BA setup as you can from a DD or hybrid one. For me, the Solaris SE is more engaging and I find myself nodding my head more listening to them than I do the U12t. On the other hand, the U12t has arguably the more versatile sound signature and its precision, speed and clarity is great for metal and faster, more complex genres where a DD can seem a little slow. Now which one would I choose to keep if I was in a pinch? That is a tough question .... and one that I hopefully don’t have to answer in the future.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #21,168 of 40,579
So... based on limited info... If you had to choose between the Solaris SE and U12T, which would you prefer? ( I know they sound different ) I just mean in terms of enjoyment or wow factor
Not quite ready to say yet...give me another week, though, and I should have a perspective.

May 2, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #21,169 of 40,579
Tough question and I have a feeling you are gonna get some split opinions on this. The All BA vs hybrid argument comes into this. To me, from my experiences... you just can’t get the same level of engagement from an all BA setup as you can from a DD or hybrid one. For me, the Solaris SE is more engaging and I find myself nodding my head more listening to them than I do the U12t. On the other hand, the U12t has arguably the more versatile sound signature and its precision, speed and clarity is great for metal and faster, more complex genres where a DD can seem a little slow. Now which one would I choose to keep if I was in a pinch? That is a tough question .... and one that I hopefully don’t have to answer in the future.
I listen to mostly metal 😑

May 2, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #21,171 of 40,579
Hey guys! Hope you're all safe and doing well. Haven't seen anyone talk about ESR here in a while. So here is my review of Empire Ears ESR on Twister6. Check it out if you like and let me know if you have any questions for me. :D

I've always thought the ESR was underappreciated. Some see reference or neutral and read boring, but the ESR does err on the musical side of reference. Not a true reference monitor, but I guess EE’s take on reference.

May 2, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #21,172 of 40,579
s

It really depends on what you listen to and, in some respects, what you constitute as "enjoyment or wow factor". I don't own the u12t but I was fortunate thanks to a friend to have one on hand for a couple weeks to really get to know it. The u12t is, by design, a stage monitor. This means that above all it needs to be clear, detailed, spacially precise-- allowing someone on a hot bright stage to have a perfect sense of their spatial surroundings-- who and what sounds are coming from precisely where. Listening to the u12t-- the detail, resolution and timbre are amazing. It gives you a precise sense of all the different layers and sounds you're listening too and coloration is at a bare minimum. It even adds a tasteful bass boost to compensate for the ambient noise in a stage/performance setting. Now all of this is very much conducive to enjoyment and wow factor-- the detail and resolution is immense and the bass is quick, accurate and with just the right balance of speed and decay. Unsurprisingly they, and their corresponding custom, the a12t, are a favorite of many. On the other hand, they can also be described as a bit analytic and dull for some. When I was listening to them for an extended period I would find myself reaching for the Legend or Solaris SE just for a bit of excitement-- but it just so happens that a lot of what I listen to benefits more from the decay, timbre and density of a DD than from the speed and precision the u12t offers. Further, while the u12t makes it easy to discern all the details and elements within a recording-- it's easy sometimes to lose the forest for the trees or so to speak. The Solaris SE for me is better at manifesting the "gestalt" or inherent unity of the recording (if that makes sense).

I listen to mostly metal 😑

My friend who let me his u12t mostly listens to metal and he prefers the u12t over Solaris (though he's never heard the SE)-- he says the speed and precision of the u12t is perfect for metal and he loves the drum timbre.

May 2, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #21,173 of 40,579
there is a mint Massdrop Universal Zeus XIV for sale , for 625$

i wish there were offers like that when i started venturing into the 500$ iem world , some years back.....

Bargain.

May 2, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #21,174 of 40,579
s

It really depends on what you listen to and, in some respects, what you constitute as "enjoyment or wow factor". I don't own the u12t but I was fortunate thanks to a friend to have one on hand for a couple weeks to really get to know it. The u12t is, by design, a stage monitor. This means that above all it needs to be clear, detailed, spacially precise-- allowing someone on a hot bright stage to have a perfect sense of their spatial surroundings-- who and what sounds are coming from precisely where. Listening to the u12t-- the detail, resolution and timbre are amazing. It gives you a precise sense of all the different layers and sounds you're listening too and coloration is at a bare minimum. It even adds a tasteful bass boost to compensate for the ambient noise in a stage/performance setting. Now all of this is very much conducive to enjoyment and wow factor-- the detail and resolution is immense and the bass is quick, accurate and with just the right balance of speed and decay. Unsurprisingly they, and their corresponding custom, the a12t, are a favorite of many. On the other hand, they can also be described as a bit analytic and dull for some. When I was listening to them for an extended period I would find myself reaching for the Legend or Solaris SE just for a bit of excitement-- but it just so happens that a lot of what I listen to benefits more from the decay, timbre and density of a DD than from the speed and precision the u12t offers. Further, while the u12t makes it easy to discern all the details and elements within a recording-- it's easy sometimes to lose the forest for the trees or so to speak. The Solaris SE for me is better at manifesting the "gestalt" or inherent unity of the recording (if that makes sense).

My friend who let me his u12t mostly listens to metal and he prefers the u12t over Solaris (though he's never heard the SE)-- he says the speed and precision of the u12t is perfect for metal and he loves the drum timbre.

It makes perfect sense and I appreciate you taking the time to explain that. Drum timbre is usually what I gauge accuracy by, considering I know exactly how a drum should sound in person. Interesting with your friend preferring u12t for the drum timbre because the Solaris SE nail the drum timbre to me... aside from bass drum impacts.

May 2, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #21,175 of 40,579
It makes perfect sense and I appreciate you taking the time to explain that. Drum timbre is usually what I gauge accuracy by, considering I know exactly how a drum should sound in person. Interesting with your friend preferring u12t for the drum timbre because the Solaris SE nail the drum timbre to me... aside from bass drum impacts.

To be fair he hasn't heard the SE and speaking relative to the u12t he said he prefers its speed. When I said he likes the drum timbre on the u12t it was meant as a general statement and not relative to the Solaris. Instrument timbre on Solaris is imho very good in general.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #21,176 of 40,579
I've always thought the ESR was underappreciated. Some see reference or neutral and read boring, but the ESR does err on the musical side of reference. Not a true reference monitor, but I guess EE’s take on reference.

Yes, I hope it comes off in my review similarly. A few dBs in upper mids would've made guitars and strings more fun though...

May 2, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #21,177 of 40,579
do u think a new flagship will be out soon by EE, just wondering, do you feel that the wraith was not a big flagship success?

I used to have legend X and i liked it, with a bit desire for more mids and less leak of bass into the mids

i am still an EE fan and wonder if something new is getting cooked

May 2, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #21,178 of 40,579
do u think a new flagship will be out soon by EE, just wondering, do you feel that the wraith was not a big flagship success?

I used to have legend X and i liked it, with a bit desire for more mids and less leak of bass into the mids

Odin .... Tribrid - DD's + BA's and Electrostat in the X series.

May 2, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #21,179 of 40,579

If it gets glowing reviews I may have to start selling my body to get one.

May 2, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #21,180 of 40,579
If it gets glowing reviews I may have to start selling my body to get one.
any initial impressions about odin, i can not find it on EE website

Users who are viewing this thread

Back