Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 1, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #21,137 of 40,650
Have to say, I have been listening to my Valks for the last few days (it has taken purposeful discipline to not flip-flop between IEMs as I am trying to get to know each one better...), and I am just enamored with the DD + estat combo. One aspect I have really enjoyed is that I hear high frequencies come across as sparkly, energetic, and supremely crisp without being peaky and harsh, and without an shred of sibilance whatsoever (which is particularly impressive to me because I am sensitive to overly sharp treble, which I learned with the Fourte Noir).

May 1, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #21,138 of 40,650
Yea the
Have to say, I have been listening to my Valks for the last few days (it has taken purposeful discipline to not flip-flop between IEMs as I am trying to get to know each one better...), and I am just enamored with the DD + estat combo. One aspect I have really enjoyed is that I hear high frequencies come across as sparkly, energetic, and supremely crisp without being peaky and harsh, and without an shred of sibilance whatsoever (which is particularly impressive to me because I am sensitive to overly sharp treble, which I learned with the Fourte Noir).

Yea the Valks are a keeper for sure. Getting to listen to them in conjunction with the Legend X and Solaris SE really cemented that. Crisp on another level.

May 2, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #21,140 of 40,650
I'm debating which IEM to buy the phantom or the legend X.. are the legend X worth the extra cost?

Completely different. I would suggest get loaners from EE and try them. LX is much more bass than Phantom, but Phantom has really good bass too.

May 2, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #21,141 of 40,650
I'm debating which IEM to buy the phantom or the legend X.. are the legend X worth the extra cost?
They are indeed a bit different. I have the Phantom, but I was (again) thinking earlier today how nice it would be if I had the money to add Legend X. For me, Legend X has the most exciting, physical bass I have heard so far and I really miss having that around. The Phantom are more about timbre, with full sounding instruments that are a joy to hear. So it depends a lot on your preferences.

May 2, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #21,142 of 40,650
They are indeed a bit different. I have the Phantom, but I was (again) thinking earlier today how nice it would be if I had the money to add Legend X. For me, Legend X has the most exciting, physical bass I have heard so far and I really miss having that around. The Phantom are more about timbre, with full sounding instruments that are a joy to hear. So it depends a lot on your preferences.
How do the Phantom to compare to the Andromeda or Solaris?

May 2, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #21,144 of 40,650
I picked up an LX recently. They really do have the most physical bass of any IEM I have tried. It is a wonderful compliment to other more reference IEMs In my psychotic herd. I would not have it as my only IEM unless L shape bass heavy was my only preferred preference.

i am so impressed with how the bass can be so physical but the rest of the signature still has a lot to bring to the table.

@SeeSax has the LX and Solaris. He may be able to compare the two best. I had Solaris awhile ago so based on fading memory the two IEMs seem very different in what they are presenting and how they present it.

May 2, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #21,145 of 40,650
Has anyone tried the new "The Strokes - The New Abnormal" album with your LX?

Do so and be amazed, a lot of separation, imaging, soundstage. Songs with deep and extended bass, others with balanced range... shows how versatile the LX can be with well produced albums.

May 2, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #21,146 of 40,650
I picked up an LX recently. They really do have the most physical bass of any IEM I have tried. It is a wonderful compliment to other more reference IEMs In my psychotic herd. I would not have it as my only IEM unless L shape bass heavy was my only preferred preference.

i am so impressed with how the bass can be so physical but the rest of the signature still has a lot to bring to the table.

@SeeSax has the LX and Solaris. He may be able to compare the two best. I had Solaris awhile ago so based on fading memory the two IEMs seem very different in what they are presenting and how they present it.
Wasn't there something about a New Year's resolution of yours?... :wink: Nice buy though! I think they make a great IEMs for sheer fun and excitement.

May 2, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #21,147 of 40,650
The Legend X are not really all rounders imho but what they do well they do so much better than anything else they will have a seat at my table for the forseeable future.

May 2, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #21,148 of 40,650
Hey guys! Hope you're all safe and doing well. Haven't seen anyone talk about ESR here in a while. So here is my review of Empire Ears ESR on Twister6. Check it out if you like and let me know if you have any questions for me. :D

Empire Ears ESR Collage.jpg

May 2, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #21,149 of 40,650
Wasn't there something about a New Year's resolution of yours?... :wink: Nice buy though! I think they make a great IEMs for sheer fun and excitement.
It was the first News Years Resolution I had ever made. And I thought doing it would curve my audio addiction. Major major fail on my part!!!

I had the LX a couple years ago when the IEM world was new to me. I was not ready for the LX bass so I sold it :) Now a couple years later I am able to handle the whole LX package!

May 2, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #21,150 of 40,650
It was the first News Years Resolution I had ever made. And I thought doing it would curve my audio addiction. Major major fail on my part!!!

I had the LX a couple years ago when the IEM world was new to me. I was not ready for the LX bass so I sold it :) Now a couple years later I am able to handle the whole LX package!
Maybe I was always ready... I don’t know if it’s just me but the bass doesn’t sound overdone. The Legend X in my opinion puts out the bass you should hear in most resonating, deep or impactful sounds with proper timbre. Going by reviews alone I thought it was going to be like sitting in a car with 2-15 inch subwoofers on high gain... it’s really not. It’s tasteful. The remaining frequency spectrum sounds damn great as well... they really did something special. If I have to cut my collection down to one IEM it would be the Legend X that made the cut. That could change in the future but as of now it’s not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back