Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 15, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #20,731 of 40,613
The EA guys at CanJam are great, and they verified that I do, in fact, have narrow oval ear canals from hell. I listened to the Valkyrie and the Legend X, and I'm going with custom Legend X because the electrostatic drivers are just too intense for my sensitive hearing. It was my first time listening to stuff that wasn't purchased online without hearing first, and it was very educational. From reading these forums, I'd figured out that EA was likely what I wanted, and CanJam confirmed it. Biggest surprise of the day was the CA Andromeda; I almost like it more than my Solaris. But, the Legend X.... those things are truly sick in the best possible way.

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #20,732 of 40,613
The EA guys at CanJam are great, and they verified that I do, in fact, have narrow oval ear canals from hell. I listened to the Valkyrie and the Legend X, and I'm going with custom Legend X because the electrostatic drivers are just too intense for my sensitive hearing. It was my first time listening to stuff that wasn't purchased online without hearing first, and it was very educational. From reading these forums, I'd figured out that EA was likely what I wanted, and CanJam confirmed it. Biggest surprise of the day was the CA Andromeda; I almost like it more than my Solaris. But, the Legend X.... those things are truly sick in the best possible way.
they're truly the audiophile's guilty pleasure... but i feel no guilt about em :)

i'm sure that—especially with your ear canals—the custom version's gonna be even better in every way!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #20,733 of 40,613
Awkward eared people of the world unite!

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #20,735 of 40,613
At CanJam this weekend I compared the stock Ares II cable to an EA Leonidas II cable on the LX and it was a noticeable difference for me. The separation and a little more on the upper mids made all the difference. For those looking for a little more from the LX, definitely look at some cable upgrades!

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #20,736 of 40,613
At CanJam this weekend I compared the stock Ares II cable to an EA Leonidas II cable on the LX and it was a noticeable difference for me. The separation and a little more on the upper mids made all the difference. For those looking for a little more from the LX, definitely look at some cable upgrades!
I tried the Leonidas II with the Trio. I thought the detail and separation was great but I found that it reduced the bass element and that part wasn’t to my liking. What does it do to the lows on the LX?

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #20,737 of 40,613
I tried the Leonidas II with the Trio. I thought the detail and separation was great but I found that it reduced the bass element and that part wasn’t to my liking. What does it do to the lows on the LX?

I didn't think there was a significant change, especially given the amount of bass the LX has. What the Leo II did over the stock cable was let me clearly hear faint voices / sounds (specifically in the song Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider, at the 23 second mark there’s a very quiet phrase “See you on the other side” and I find that useful to measure separation. Or ambient sounds in a live performance such as with Lily Was Here from Candy Dulfer Live in Amsterdam. Great saxophone. At the 6-7 second mark something is dropped or the mike stand moves, and the someone in the audience coughs at the right.) But with all that, I still got the bass slam and texture I wanted, especially listening to Why So Serious from The Dark Knight soundtrack and the incredibly strong bass throughout the track, but it really at ~3:25.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #20,738 of 40,613
While we are talking cable upgrades for Legend X, I’ll throw in a vote for PlusSound’s Tri-Silver Exo. Brings out more sparkle, gives the mids some air to breath and produces clean, tight bass impact that will still pound your ear drums :)

Love the 1950 pairing as well, but I’m spoiled by the comfort of the Exo.

5B6B3BA0-5EF2-4966-98D5-1FA986CBA8A0.jpeg

-Collin-

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #20,740 of 40,613
Love the 1950 pairing as well, but I’m spoiled by the comfort of the Exo.

-Collin-

When you talk about comfort, is the Exo softer or does it hang lighter over the ears? I tried the Exo GPS and that was really soft and I seemed to forget it was there. The 1950, from pictures at least, looks a less cuddly cable. The light blue/grey colour probably doesn't help the aesthetics.

Feb 20, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #20,741 of 40,613
Afternoon all.

I've put my ESR universals up for sale on here. Time to move onwards and upwards......

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #20,742 of 40,613
When you talk about comfort, is the Exo softer or does it hang lighter over the ears? I tried the Exo GPS and that was really soft and I seemed to forget it was there. The 1950, from pictures at least, looks a less cuddly cable. The light blue/grey colour probably doesn't help the aesthetics.

Exo is very soft, and no pre-formed ear hooks makes it feel like it’s not even there. Probably similar to your Exo GPS experience. 1950 is much stiffer and “rougher” but probably more durable as well.

-Collin-

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #20,743 of 40,613
Afternoon all.

I've put my ESR universals up for sale on here. Time to move onwards and upwards......

That Ares II 8 Wire looks nice.

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #20,744 of 40,613

I have a LX and Solaris-- they're a great complimentary pair. There isn't much that one or the other of them can't nail perfectly.

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #20,745 of 40,613
It's a lovely wire but curiously doesn't play well with my DX220 except for the ESRs. Every other IEM I have used them with sounds more like an SPC than copper. Same for the 4W. I'm teaching myself to make my own cables once I get some bits from Electro Acousti.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back