Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 8, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #20,146 of 40,591
More unboxing and initial impressions with the Wraith this time. Quite different in approach to the Valkyrie with more a mids focus for me. The Cleo cable is just awesome :)

https://headfonics.com/2019/11/empire-ears-wraith-first-contact/

DSCF2015-1.jpg

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #20,147 of 40,591
Hi guys
Just got my legend X recently
Now looking for a wire to pair it with sp1000ss
Any recommendations?

If you want better details and tighten up the bass and have more punch. You can go for Effect Audio LeonidasII Octa, or cleopatra Octa. I personally loves the leoII Octa pairing.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #20,148 of 40,591
If you want better details and tighten up the bass and have more punch. You can go for Effect Audio LeonidasII Octa, or cleopatra Octa. I personally loves the leoII Octa pairing.

His budget is only in the range of $800-$1k whereas those cables you are introducing are expensive even though they are on sale right now. Just my 0.1999 cents. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #20,150 of 40,591

I really cannot stress enough that the Zeus-XR that was released a couple of years ago is really a true Top of the Line earphone. Changed to a better silver-based cable and better DAP-source that are released in recent years, you can really see how it scales and does not bottleneck at all. Although it is now discontinued and unable to be found in catalogue on Empire Ears website (correct me if I am wrong) and it is only available in Massdrop's version at a bargain of a price. Even with extensive A/B comparison with recently released earphone such as Wraith, I don't see Zeus-XR hiding its face under the glory of newer releases. Zeus is still shining and I don't see myself having to upgrade because the Zeus-XR fights off my itch of getting new earphones. I even compare the Zeus-XR with my Utopia headphones just for fun, and they really do trade blows in some aspects. Really can't thanks enough to Empire Ears that they produce such a gem for my ears.
I tried two (stock) silver hybrid cables but much prefer the Ares ll copper. Both the hybrids made the sound too brittle/sharp for my tastes. There might be a non-copper cable out there that will pair well with my Zeus/AK SP1000SS but I've got a feeling it'll be expensive.

I do believe you can still special order the Zeus XR custom by making a request via email.

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #20,151 of 40,591
Can someone who has heard both the Universal and Custom versions of the Legend give some feedback on the sound differences they heard? (If any). Im aware customs will give better isolation so that always helps but besides that is there a whole lot of difference? The Universal legends don't look like they insert too deeply into the ear canal and I usually have the best experience getting as close to the eardrum as possible... also it doesn't look like there is a lip on the universals to try spiral dots etc?

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #20,152 of 40,591
EE’s Universal’s nozzles do not have a lip, just a smooth nozzle. I’ve occasionally had my spinfit tips pop off/stay in my ear when I remove the IEM. Final tips tend to stay on better with their smaller inner diameter and grippier/rubbery inner section. Haven’t tried spiral dots yet.

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #20,153 of 40,591
EE’s Universal’s nozzles do not have a lip, just a smooth nozzle. I’ve occasionally had my spinfit tips pop off/stay in my ear when I remove the IEM. Final tips tend to stay on better with their smaller inner diameter and grippier/rubbery inner section.

That would annoy the crap out of me. It was bad enough with the Katana's smoothed over lip. Hmm I guess you wouldn't have a problem using final or comply tips.

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #20,155 of 40,591
Better highs by a little bit on my customs, bass feels more controlled. Not big differences on either, but I'd never use universals again--customs are infinitely more comfortable, I don't have to deal with nuances of different sound with different tips, different size tips for each ear, and the probable discomfort after about 90-120 minutes. Just absolutely not worth it.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #20,156 of 40,591
...also it doesn't look like there is a lip on the universals to try spiral dots etc?

EE’s Universal’s nozzles do not have a lip, just a smooth nozzle. I’ve occasionally had my spinfit tips pop off/stay in my ear when I remove the IEM. Final tips tend to stay on better with their smaller inner diameter and grippier/rubbery inner section. Haven’t tried spiral dots yet.

I use spiral dots with no problems of them falling off. On the other hand the final type E that come with it fall off all the time except for the short time when they are brand new.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #20,157 of 40,591
Hi, I really love the mid of legend X which is lush, full body, and add more weight to note, but the bass is sometimes overwhelming for me. Do we have any product have the same mid of legend X ?

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #20,158 of 40,591
Hi, I really love the mid of legend X which is lush, full body, and add more weight to note, but the bass is sometimes overwhelming for me. Do we have any product have the same mid of legend X ?
Use EQ with 1Z, do -5db at 32Hz, and -2,5db at 64Hz, and come back to tell me what you think about it. You can try to adjust it if you want.
For SP2000, if EQ is like SP1000, I have no idea :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back