Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 3, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #20,116 of 40,591
Funny- I thought the car horn was you farting. Up the tailpipe. And it it was Charlie's idea.

All I can say is that the new Let It Bleed sounds really good with the Zeus. After that I listened to Derek & The Dominoes and it just sounded so thick. Good, but thick.

Aftermath and Between The Buttons are pretty well produced. Steely Dan and Donald Fagan and Bryan Ferry and Van Morrison records are REALLY well produced. I

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #20,117 of 40,591
Funny- I thought the car horn was you farting. Up the tailpipe. And it it was Charlie's idea.

All I can say is that the new Let It Bleed sounds really good with the Zeus. After that I listened to Derek & The Dominoes and it just sounded so thick. Good, but thick.

Aftermath and Between The Buttons are pretty well produced. Steely Dan and Donald Fagan and Bryan Ferry and Van Morrison records are REALLY well produced. I

I spent some time on the back porch this afternoon. Smoked a cigar, and gave the 50th Anniversary a listen. I agree with you. It's great. Still sounds like the album should, just a bit... well, better. A starker contrast between background and music. A more vivid image. But still very much The Rolling Stones. :)

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #20,119 of 40,591
Wanna have fun with your Zeus? Get ahold of the newly remastered The Rolling Stones Let It Bleed in 16 or 24 bit (both really good) and hear what a TOTL iem can deliver.
Oh wow will do!

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #20,120 of 40,591

being also heavy into rock music , i have come across the wonder called 'vinyl rips' , where people with TOTL setups rip their vinyls in 24/96 quality and the results are mind-opening

i mean quality that sends all those MFSL/remasters to take a walk

imagine crystal clear cd quality but with the glorious, full sounding beauty of vinyl

a revelation, been following many such guys/rippers for 10 years now and i am constantly amazed

i have rips by steely dan/fagen etc and the quality is better than any hi-res remaster and on top of that it's completely free (which is good as money is hard to find)

i could send you a dllink to hear for yourself, but beware - you are gonna start thinking 'why the hell am i paying 30-40$ for all these calledamazing cd remasters'.....

Nov 4, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #20,122 of 40,591
fresh vinyl on a day 1 is ~44kHz (sampling rate, not nyquist/audio range), and after a couple spins is more like 36kHz, for a top-out audio frequency of 18k (which is fine by me, frankly, but it's not a CD/digital). Also, the dynamic range on a fresh vinyl is—at best—like 70dB, and goes down into the 50s after a couple spins. (Compare to ~120dB for CD.) This is also mostly fine, but the vinyl definitely has less information at high frequencies and lower dynamic range. The SNR also drops precipitously as you move up the frequency spectrum, and additional high-end roll-off as you move toward the center of the LP. The recordings that go onto the vinyl might be better mastered, or you might like a more compressed sound, but...

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #20,123 of 40,591
fresh vinyl on a day 1 is ~44kHz (sampling rate, not nyquist/audio range), and after a couple spins is more like 36kHz, for a top-out audio frequency of 18k (which is fine by me, frankly, but it's not a CD/digital). Also, the dynamic range on a fresh vinyl is—at best—like 70dB, and goes down into the 50s after a couple spins. (Compare to ~120dB for CD.) This is also mostly fine, but the vinyl definitely has less information at high frequencies and lower dynamic range. The SNR also drops precipitously as you move up the frequency spectrum, and additional high-end roll-off as you move toward the center of the LP. The recordings that go onto the vinyl might be better mastered, or you might like a more compressed sound, but...

Well some folks still wear mechanical watches when digital ones are far superior in accuracy. There are photographers who still use film, when digital formats have higher dynamic range. Yet for both, there is a certain connection with the analog devices - seeing the gears work on a watch, or the specific color rendition of film. I still use a chef's knife to mince vegetables when a food processor would be easier and more consistent....

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #20,124 of 40,591
There is so much loss of signal in all the transfers it is a no brainer.

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #20,126 of 40,591
I guess I'm the odd one. I prefer vinyl in most ways including the interaction between myself, my turntable and speakers. I've got records from the 70's thru just last week and with proper care and storage they sound great. I will concede I have a lot more invested in a 2 channel rig than headphone rig.

My 2 channel setup is many times more money than my headphone setup. One speaker is more than my headphone amp and DAC.

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #20,128 of 40,591
Nov 5, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #20,130 of 40,591

Users who are viewing this thread

Back