1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)

1. DatDudeNic
    Still my fave even after everything LRM_EXPORT_338904396721774_20191103_220612708.jpeg
    Empire Ears Zeus XIV + Sony WM1A

Aslshark, NovaFlyer, SBranson and 3 others like this.
  2. olddude
    Wanna have fun with your Zeus? Get ahold of the newly remastered The Rolling Stones Let It Bleed in 16 or 24 bit (both really good) and hear what a TOTL iem can deliver.

DatDudeNic and rcoleman1 like this.
  3. PinkyPowers
    A couple of years ago I found a used copy of the first CD release of Let it Bleed and a few other TRS records. Great master. Full dynamic range. As far from compressed as you can get.

Let it Bleed DR.jpg

Can you show me what the peaks look like on this new Master? The Dynamic Range Database doesn't have a listing for this yet.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  4. pali
    Is this the one? Now I can't wait for Nov. 15!

https://www.abkco.com/news-feed/letitbleed50/

5. olddude
    Unfortunately, the only app that I can check it with (Audacity) does not support Catalina yet (won't even open). I can report that the remaster is louder than my other digital copies (16 and 24) and my CD. Whether it is part of the loudness wars or not I can't say, but without suggesting you "find" a copy to check it out, I suggest you "find" a copy to check it out. I've been listening to it since 1969 (I was 22) and this is the clearest I've ever heard it. They really cleaned it up and let what was on the edges and buried in the mix out. It sounds the same (unlike, say, the Beatles 24 bit remasters), everything is where it should be, at the level it should be. It's like they de-hazed it.

6. PinkyPowers
    Not bad at all. Color me impressed. It's louder, yes, but those are some healthy, dynamic peaks. :thumbsup:

Original CD Release:

Let it Bleed DR - old.jpg

50th Anniversary Re-Master:

Let it Bleed DR - new.jpg

mr.karmalicious likes this.
  7. olddude
    It sounds REALLY good. They made the quiet part at the start of Love In Vain, when it is on one channel only, dead quiet. There are little bits of French Horns that I haven't heard before on the edges of You Can't Always Get What You Want, and there're quite a bit of little florsihes throughout that surprise. And the heft of Gimme Shelter, Monkey Man and Let It Bleed with the Zeus is really something. Country Honk has really nice stereo separation with the car horn at the start. I liked the Sgt. Pepper redo, I didn't like the White Album redo, I'm ok with the Abbey Road redo (I know, apples and oranges and mix vs. mastering), but the Stones have always been a bit iffy with their production and this one really shines. Now if they could only do this with Exiles.

8. PinkyPowers
    Perhaps it's because I'm not nostalgic about the originals (I'm a young man, after all), but I really love the 24bit Beatles remaster. Whereas I vastly prefer the older masters of Creedence Clearwater Revival. They are thicker and warmer sounding, which better suits their style. That's also the style of The Rolling Stones. I wouldn't want a crystalline version of their records.

I'll need to spend some time with this 50th Anniversary to see if I like it.

9. olddude
    :) I had the English and German vinyl imports and then I had (still have) the vaunted Blue Box Beatles set (before we all went digital). I LIKE the 24 bits for how clean they are (certainly better than the CDs I had previously), but to me it sounds like they fiddled a bit to bring up the bass (hi, Paulie). I'm happy enough with them to listen to them. I have nothing good to say about the White album remix. The Sgt. Pepper one is interesting and Abbey Road is ok. But I want albums to sound like what I know they sound like, and when they go changing them (old guy, right?) I hear the difference. Let It Bleed just sounds... right.

PinkyPowers likes this.
  10. proedros
    IIRC Let It Bleed is not any monument of production like say Aja by Steely Dan or Avalon by Roxy Music or (the list goes on) , and Exile is an even more grittier/raw production

but with Stones you pay the ticket of admission not for the studio/production wizzardry but for the feel of the band

just my 2 cents

oh , and Zeus XR does shine with good recordings , this is why we love it/him so much

11. PinkyPowers
    You are welcome for the French horns. That was me farting into a copper cup. It was Keith Richards' idea.

12. mwhals
    :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

13. Progisus
    Hey @olddude , thanks for the idea. Threw on the Legend X said goodbye to prog for 45 mins and hello to rockin blues. I used the rbcd thru the mscaler cahse that’s were the LX were. Rock on!

14. olddude
    Funny- I thought the car horn was you farting. Up the tailpipe. And it it was Charlie's idea.

All I can say is that the new Let It Bleed sounds really good with the Zeus. After that I listened to Derek & The Dominoes and it just sounded so thick. Good, but thick.

Aftermath and Between The Buttons are pretty well produced. Steely Dan and Donald Fagan and Bryan Ferry and Van Morrison records are REALLY well produced. I

rwelles and proedros like this.
  15. PinkyPowers
    I spent some time on the back porch this afternoon. Smoked a cigar, and gave the 50th Anniversary a listen. I agree with you. It's great. Still sounds like the album should, just a bit... well, better. A starker contrast between background and music. A more vivid image. But still very much The Rolling Stones. :)