Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 6, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,981 of 40,612
"Ares" :eek:

God of war. No battle without thundering war drums. Could this be the replacement to the Omega for the bass lovers? I see 3 bores.

You got the opportunity to compare the Zeus and the Zeus R side by side I imagine. What's your take on it. Afaik all the rest of us only had our memory as we sent back the Zeus to get it remastered to try to compare; a process taking up to a month in total so that doesn't help with memory acuity :D
I'm curious which one you're getting hehe. The new Ares or a Zeus(R)? :p

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #1,982 of 40,612
I heard the universal Zeus and Zeus-R side by side. My 2c:

- original Zeus is more colored with midrange emphasis
- original Zeus is special in layering. I've never heard anything display layers like this
- original Zeus has excellent depth

- Zeus-R is all around more reference quality; better balanced and more neutral
- Zeus-R is tighter, cleaner and more coherent
- Zeus-R improves imaging and separation, along with a wider, airier staging.
- Zeus-R treble went from just OK on the original to absolutely fantastic on the R.

Love of one over the other is completely understandable. My preferences lean heavily towards the R but I can easily understand preference for the original.

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #1,983 of 40,612
I will have a write up in the near future (probably after my US trip) about my experience and impressions at Empire but for now I would say I ditto most if not all of the impressions shotgunshane has.

This was the setup I audition the R to the original with. It has a switch so that u dont have to take them off your ears.

But the Ares though. No worries Zeus R owners its no new flagship but I really think this will be a big hit. If I had my way, I would have swoop for a unit of this as well.

Well, not like my future Zeus-R is anything to take lightly of. :smiling_imp:

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #1,985 of 40,612
"Ares" :eek:

God of war. No battle without thundering war drums. Could this be the replacement to the Omega for the bass lovers? I see 3 bores.

You got the opportunity to compare the Zeus and the Zeus R side by side I imagine. What's your take on it. Afaik all the rest of us only had our memory as we sent back the Zeus to get it remastered to try to compare; a process taking up to a month in total so that doesn't help with memory acuity :D
I'm curious which one you're getting hehe. The new Ares or a Zeus(R)? :p
is the ares a new IEM?

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #1,986 of 40,612

Well had the ok from Jack about closed mouth impressions I had taken, so put them in the post today.  I had the left side redone as was not convinced and put them both in.  Now the wait begins...

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,987 of 40,612

is the ares a new IEM?

http://music-sanctuary.com/products/empire-zeus-xiv

Maybe this is what they're talking about?

But then there were people talking about the Legend R replacement... I'm also curious....

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,989 of 40,612
No not the same. I had received  the Audio Effect Ares cable (copper) with my Zeus R. 
Check Eujong7's pic, it has Ares printed on it, and notice the sound tube bore count (3); Zeus has 4.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,990 of 40,612
A switchable Zeus, oh myyyy  (takei voice).  If my ears would've allowed for a thinner Zeus, I'd seriously consider asking for a custom switchable Zeus haha

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #1,992 of 40,612
Dont think its ever made to be sold yo the public, more for in house testing. I had ask for an old Zeus to compare to the R and that was why it came out.

So have u had a sneak peek?

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,993 of 40,612
So have u had a sneak peek?

I don't think Jack and Dean ever thought of bringing it to retail. It was probably one of those test units the have in house for quick A-B. I don't think most people would appreciate having a big (relatively) switch in the middle that might disrupt the design of their favourite CIEM.

I also tend to agree with Dean where we both came to the conclusion where R is the superior unit, and 99/100 would choose it over the vanilla Zeus (my estimated figure). So I don't think a switching R/non-R is that viable.

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,994 of 40,612

I don't think Jack and Dean ever thought of bringing it to retail. It was probably one of those test units the have in house for quick A-B. I don't think most people would appreciate having a big (relatively) switch in the middle that might disrupt the design of their favourite CIEM.

I also tend to agree with Dean where we both came to the conclusion where R is the superior unit, and 99/100 would choose it over the vanilla Zeus (my estimated figure). So I don't think a switching R/non-R is that viable.

Yeah the Zeus-R vs Zeus reactions are interesting. It seems a lot of folks like that lusher midrange bloom that the original model have. I prefer the larger soundstage, slightly drier and more neutral "reference" sound of the -R, although I still found the original to be quite magical in its own right. A big part of the difference in preference might come from source, as I'm using my Plenue S, which is a warmer DAP to begin with. It's been referred to as having an "analogue-esque" sound signature, so my -R might maintain a bit of that original midrange lushness and bloom whereas someone using a more neutral or brighter DAP could potentially be missing it with the -R versus the original.

Speaking of, I'm listening to a vinyl rip of Explosions in the Sky's "The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place" right now at work and it's a delight. The production and recording quality is superb, and really lets the detail retrieval of the Zeus-R shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back