1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)

First

Back
121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130
132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141
Next

Last
  1. davidcotton

Good news!  How about some pics?

2. Docterror
    @Tony1110 Some pics would be nice. Post away, mate!

3. Cagin

I'm grateful to you Nick for this. As the aspects you talk about resonate with my experience. And it is certainly not an easy decision that's for sure.

I sent mine back 4 weeks ago due to a fit issue, 10kg weight loss being the most probable culprit.

It's impossible for me to make a just comparison as I never had a Zeus and a separate Zeus R at hand at the same time. So if I were to try to compare for my own pondering as to which I prefer myself here's how it would go:

ZEUS
    +mid forward, vocals front stage (I toned down 1k-2k by like around 2dB)
    Treble extension okay but in the house sound non sibilant and smooth (I boosted this a lot, I like my sparkle, can check the gallery to see by how much haha, I know some parts +6)
    No hiss issue with Cowon Plenue D or Onkyo DP-X1 but unbearable on the Sony ZX2.
    Bottomline: with eq, perfect sound signature, magical 3d presentation and separation. Without eq possibility it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

ZEUS R
    Sound stage width is really stretched to the sides, leaving sometimes a weird sense of a laid back middle stage. Not as forward vocals, but it retains the seductive caressing female vocal attribute of the Zeus. (I tone down the mods by 1dB 1K-1.2K 1.4K and half a dB at 2k to avoid my sensitivity to spikes of synthesizers or sustained notes that otherwise I find aggressive)
    A bit less sensitive so even less hiss but I didn't have any issue with that with my current DAPs,but it sure will be useful when I can compare test with other DAPs at canjam London.
    Treble is perfect for my taste now I don't touch the eq there. I used to boost at 6K, 12 14 16 increasingly to compensate with my hearing on the Zeus, but now it's just right with the Zeus R.
    What I did seem to find lacking was the ease of separation. To me the Zeus' headstage width was already fine by me, the height and depth was so good.

I could focus on whichever part or instrument even if it would've been congested or too much chaotic with other IEMs. While I only had the Zeus R for 3 weeks before sending it back for a refit, I don't think it managed it as well. Mind you it did this better than my other IEMs at the time (EX-1 & Savant, latter which I sold).

I don't have a clear cut preference because of other conditions.
    If I didn't feel the need to eq and had a hiss fre pc platform and dap, I would keep the Zeus.

But in my current situation, Zeus R is better. Can use it with spotify, YouTube, on my pc with foobar or in my games. Not worrying that there's no eq.
    Being a bit less sensitive will help.me at canjam London in my quest for the next dap.

4. Cagin
    Phone ran out of battery so I posted in fear of losing all my text. I'll edit out my previous post to add and complete it.

5. Sound Eq
    can i ask are there 2 different types of spin fit tips

I see a brown one and a white one , do they differ

6. moedawg140 Contributor

SpinFit Tip Legend

CP100 = wide nozzle, for IEMs such as Empire Ears, DITA Audio, Beyerdynamic, etc.

CP800 = narrow nozzle, for IEMs such as Shure, Westone, etc.

Different colors do not change the properties of the SpinFit tips.

You can get them from eBay, or other places if you search online.

7. Sound Eq
    i do not know why but i feel the brown ones give more bass than the white ones, and i own both

8. moedawg140 Contributor

Placebo is a heck of a thing.  For example, after I got done listening and comparing the AK380 and AK380 Copper (I've compared both multiple times on multiple occasions), the representatives from Astell&Kern were telling me people told them that the AK380 Copper sounds warmer than the AK380.  I could see why people may think that, as copper (at least when used as a third party cable) can be heard as warming the presentation as a whole compared to stock cables (some may completely disagree and that is fine).  I find the AK380 Copper to actually sound brighter than the AK380.  How about them apples?

On topic: looking forward to listening to what Empire Ears has in store...

9. Sound Eq
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sarounbi-SpinFit-Silicone-IEM-Tips-1-MEDIUM-M-PAIR-/162068886594?hash=item25bc0ef442:g:OiQAAOSw3KFWcGQJ

are those the same as white spinfit tips

10. Deftone
    On the options for selecting logo, if I choose option black will it get the dual E in black?

11. moedawg140 Contributor

Best thing to do is to PM or email Jack Vang, and he will be able to assist you and make all of your options crystal clear.

12. SomeWiseGuy
    Got my Zeus-R yesterday from Music Sanctuary.

Wow, just wow...

Barry-Yes.gif

Thanks to Jack and MS!

Spamateur and Jack Vang like this.
  13. proedros

if i owned a 2000$ CIEM that needed so much eq'ing to sound how i wanted it to - i would not eq it, but sell it

just my 2 cents [​IMG] 

14. Jack Vang

Same thing. Just a color choice we made. 

Yes! Do share your thoughts! =D

Personal preferences. I have yet to come across a front of house engineer, artist, or musician that didn't have to EQ their in-ears.

Empire Ears Stay updated on Empire Ears at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/EmpireEars https://twitter.com/EmpireEars https://www.instagram.com/empireears/ http://www.empireears.com/
  15. Malevolent

Nice! How long did it take to complete the revamp? [​IMG] 

First

Back
121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130
132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141
Next

Last