Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 15, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #181 of 40,675
  My review of the Empire Ears lineup is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/786335/empire-ears-wasnt-built-in-a-day#post_12040928.

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!

Thanks for those amazing impressions. <Sigh> time to save up again...

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #182 of 40,675
interesting to see how shane, moedawg, and cotnijoe hear things differently.  cotn, did you try the zeus with the therium?  which would you say sounds closest to the UERM?  seems like the apollo from what you wrote, since you had a direct comparison.  

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #183 of 40,675
interesting to see how shane, moedawg, and cotnijoe hear things differently.  cotn, did you try the zeus with the therium?  which would you say sounds closest to the UERM?  seems like the apollo from what you wrote, since you had a direct comparison.  

Ya i actually found the hermes and athena to be quite intimate but moe seems to disagree haha.

I disnt try zeus witu therium since i have it terminated for UE

Its hard to say which is closer to uerm. none of the empire products have as emphasized of a treble as the uerm and i compared apollo because its advertised as reference. Id say maybe the spartan

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #184 of 40,675
I agree completely with the Hermes being intimate. Amazing detail as well soon as I get them back in I'll have a full written review to post as well. Till then just the vid reviews.

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #185 of 40,675
Ya i actually found the hermes and athena to be quite intimate but moe seems to disagree haha.

I disnt try zeus witu therium since i have it terminated for UE

Its hard to say which is closer to uerm. none of the empire products have as emphasized of a treble as the uerm and i compared apollo because its advertised as reference. Id say maybe the spartan

I can agree with this. And I'd agree probably Spartan is closest of the line-up to the UERM but it's still different.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #186 of 40,675
As someone that was a bit troubled by the high sensitivity / hissing with the Legend Omega, I got to say I'm relieved after the 3 initial impressions.
For my Zeus, I went with Jack's advice and didn't want the lower sensitivity option to retain clarity.

I'm quite curious also how the isolation is going to be; having a wider bore, a bigger body, more parts inside. Can I expect maybe 1-2dB of increased isolation?

About the Zeus' headstage, I understand it's not the biggest around and while I don't expect it to be like a Layla or SE5 Ultimate, what would you fellas say the Zeus is close to as far as width? With me, I have the Fiio EX-1 iem (Dunu Titan 1) for review at the moment and I gotta say I love its headstage presentation over my Savant.

@ moedawg: your enthusiastic feedback reminds me of Jude's vids. Dangerous for the wallet lol.

@moedawg/cotnijoe/sgs: thank you fellas for the ample photo s under different lighting. The metallic and pearly colors shift beautifully. I also appreciated how the whole lineup has great value. Something for everyone's taste and budget. That's nice.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #187 of 40,675
Thanks for your impressions everyone. From everything I've read the Spartan seems perfect for me.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #188 of 40,675
Thanks for your impressions everyone. From everything I've read the Spartan seems perfect for me. :D

If u want a nice reference sound without the piercing treble, the spartan is a safe bet!

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #189 of 40,675
If u want a nice reference sound without the piercing treble, the spartan is a safe bet!

Actually that sounds like the UERM. The UERM has not recessed but never piercing treble to my ears. Why would you say the Apollo sounds closest the the UERM?

Ps thanks for your impressions!

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #190 of 40,675

Actually that sounds like the UERM. The UERM has not recessed but never piercing treble to my ears. Why would you say the Apollo sounds closest the the UERM?

Ps thanks for your impressions!

Its definitely personal preference. Im with u that i dont find the uerm treble piercing, but its an issue many have with the uerm. On the otherhand, the spartan is an iem id be surprised to see complains of treble harshness with.

I dont think apollo and uerm are most similar. Empire advertises it as a reference monitor, so i compared it to THE reference monitor. I would say the spartan is closest to uerm but uerm still has a different presentation and a good bit more treble

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #191 of 40,675
shotgunshane has added his impressions about the Zeus XIV in his Cymbacavum article :beerchug:

http://cymbacavum.com/2015/11/02/the-empire-strikes-back-empire-ears-line-up-overview/

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #193 of 40,675
shotgunshane has added his impressions about the Zeus XIV in his Cymbacavum article :beerchug:

http://cymbacavum.com/2015/11/02/the-empire-strikes-back-empire-ears-line-up-overview/

Thanks for linking to it!

Is it still recessed sockets like the old earwerkz iems?

Not standard but you can get the recessed sockets in the faceplates like the old EarWerkz models. However it will limit you on your design options for sure.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #194 of 40,675
@shotgunshane has added his impressions about the Zeus XIV in his Cymbacavum article
beerchug.gif

I see what @shotgunshane did there.

"Jack, I am your father. Join with me!"

"Noooooooooooooooooooooo" (he does so anyway)

Nobody said anything about overanalysing, but could it be that Empire Ears is Act 2 in a Timeless Trilogy?? Standby for the finale, aka Return of the "Jackdi". Our protagonist the Jedi brings his dual "gun" blasters to a lightsabre fight. Who will prevail? When is this movie arriving? Who in the world is he fighting???

Coming soon to a theatre near you. Patience, you must have.

PS, I hope the next model is called the "Yoda". CIEMs lead to poverty. Poverty leads to hardwork. Hardwork leads to happiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back