Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 22, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #19,261 of 40,565
Actually the mine are CIEM. that's why the question. never had it before, even with my IER-Z1r with a huge DD.

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #19,262 of 40,565
The Driver Flex is more prone to Silicone Tips than Foam, Regardless From what I was told by Empire Ears they extend lifetime warranty on any drivers that are damaged due to driver flex.

Rest assured they got you covered :smiley:
Good to know, thanks. Do they include Mind and patience damage on their warranty policy. :)

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #19,263 of 40,565
I’d say my LX universals are like a 6.5. I can minimize it if I’m very deliberate when I insert them. If I pull my ear up and back, insert carefully, then slowly let go of my ear, I can eliminate it in most cases. Readjusting though or yawning can make it flex, as will less deliberate insertion.

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #19,264 of 40,565
Quantifying here would be like
Left = 8
Right = 3

Yawning is definitely flexing. (and I yawn a lot :) )

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #19,265 of 40,565
Maybe try comparing the seal lvl of left and right ears? See if that has play a role in the flex?

I personally never experienced a flex in driver even the uni lx I tried had no flex and plugged and removed it many times while auditioning...

Did you asked ee about it?

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #19,266 of 40,565
let's go...general question to Legend X owners.

Do you have any Driver Flex on your IEMs? If so on a scale from 0-10 how much do you have? (moving your mouth, inserting, removing...)
LX: Pretty much every time I set or adjust it, both sides. I hear distinct 2 clicks for each W9 and then 1-2 second later softer clicks when diaphragm comes back. It does not sound cringe-worthy terrible. Xelento was worse. (Sony ier-z1r had none as well as other Sony iems).
So, don't know how to quantify it. Annoying on the scale of about 4 on LX. Basshead iem ASG2 has none. Anyone had ever sound affected by it?

Aug 22, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #19,267 of 40,565
The thread have gone the wrong pathe lol.

Stop the flexing poping stories I wana hear impressions on valkyries ! Please )

Aug 22, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #19,268 of 40,565
The thread have gone the wrong pathe lol.

Stop the flexing poping stories I wana hear impressions on valkyries ! Please )
lol...priorities mate, priorities!

Want to know the impressions on it too. well tuned tribrid can do miracles.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #19,269 of 40,565
Just received valky, it's my wife's birthday gift.
She is listening with N8 black brass, was specially bought to pair with.
upload_2019-8-23_14-46-14.jpeg

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #19,270 of 40,565
My wife compared her fitear 335dw original cable 4.4mm termination side by side with her valky to the cayin N8 black brass, playing Madonna's hung up (has more drum playing).
Valky vocal more forward, bass (drum) more solid and holographic. Missing extended width than Zeus.
I compared my Zeus XRA (which is detail and smooth) with Valky. My initial impression is vocal and bass are balance to each other. Valky has more stand out bass and depth.
Recalling my impression on Lx when it was initially launched in HK, I did recall i didn't prefer Phantom. Yes, Valky's bass is less spongy than Lx but more punchy than my Zeus XRA in matter.
I want to run in more in the next few days, and will try the Valky with effect audio janus basso and crystal cable dream duet later on.
I am happy from my first impression. To be honest, I tried in the av show in hk 2 weeks ago with my Sony wm1a, Sony really needs to turn up a hell of a lot to drive the Valky.
From my memory, Wraith was much more easy to drive, but the treble was a little more high pitch than Valky
I am relief after putting it on my n8bb now.
Sorry for my amateur comments

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #19,271 of 40,565
No need to apologize—thanks for the impressions!

I do want to swing back to driver flex real quick—if you have sound tubes leading out from dynamic drivers (like the LX does), aren't you guaranteed to get some flex if you move the IEM more than a certain amount while maintaining a seal? Of course you wouldn't get it with foam, as mentioned, as the seal is only complete once the foam expands and fits the ears. But with silicone or customs, it's unlikely that you only achieve a seal at the final insertion depth, so you're going to get flex unless you purposefully (e.g.) pull your ear to prevent a seal from forming until you let go. This seems true to me regardless of venting, or at least any venting level that you might reasonably find in an IEM. Am I wrong somewhere?

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #19,272 of 40,565
No need to apologize—thanks for the impressions!

I do want to swing back to driver flex real quick—if you have sound tubes leading out from dynamic drivers (like the LX does), aren't you guaranteed to get some flex if you move the IEM more than a certain amount while maintaining a seal? Of course you wouldn't get it with foam, as mentioned, as the seal is only complete once the foam expands and fits the ears. But with silicone or customs, it's unlikely that you only achieve a seal at the final insertion depth, so you're going to get flex unless you purposefully (e.g.) pull your ear to prevent a seal from forming until you let go. This seems true to me regardless of venting, or at least any venting level that you might reasonably find in an IEM. Am I wrong somewhere?
If you are wrong, that would make at least two of us. I compared flex on the lx with IMR Zenith which sounds really loud, but with tuning nozzle that has hole in it - no flex. Also, I once took apart Sony with 16mm single DD and found that diaphragm niche has multiple tiny columns all around limiting excursion. That's why Sonny's have no flex sound ever!

Aug 24, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #19,273 of 40,565
If driver flex bothers you, then you can forget about owning Stax electrostats. Of course Stax owners call it "farts".

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #19,274 of 40,565
If driver flex bothers you, then you can forget about owning Stax electrostats. Of course Stax owners call it "farts".
Actually I didn't like Stax. :) (will get a lot of hates now)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back