Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #18,901 of 40,573
Oh, yes--on your suggestion, I'm now casing these up like this:

TZ3pEmD.jpg

xTq2Qav.jpg

Wish I had room for my ES100 too, but c'est la vie...

Glad you liked my idea. It works really well in my opinion.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #18,902 of 40,573
How big is the Pandora case? (Diameter / Height)

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #18,904 of 40,573
Well, if you want to bring science into it (and this really isn't the thread to do so) then all cables are basically the same and the amount of money you pay for higher-priced ones is a waste. And any DAP with decent innards is as good as any higher-priced one because, after all, it's just ones and zeros and you can't improve on those. And any (uh oh, here we go) MP3 file is just as good as any higher bitrate file. Oh, and there's no such thing as burn in.

And yet, everyone here is sure they hear differences.

Sound Science's thread is over.... there.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #18,905 of 40,573
About 3.25” in diameter and almost 1.75” high.

Great, thanks! So slightly bigger than the Jomo ones.

Well, if you want to bring science into it (and this really isn't the thread to do so) then all cables are basically the same and the amount of money you pay for higher-priced ones is a waste. And any DAP with decent innards is as good as any higher-priced one because, after all, it's just ones and zeros and you can't improve on those. And any (uh oh, here we go) MP3 file is just as good as any higher bitrate file. Oh, and there's no such thing as burn in.

I don’t think science is banned here, as long as people aren’t going on and on about double blind testing. Just as people are free to say that cables/daps/whatever make a difference, they’re free to say that they don’t make a difference.

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #18,906 of 40,573

The problem is that "good" is a misdirection. Audio experiences are subjective. If somebody is convinced they hear a difference, that's effectively the same as "actually" hearing it; and, not everybody likes what "objectively perfect" reproduction sounds like.

As far as files go, try a <128kbps MP3. They're glorified static.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #18,907 of 40,573

I has said it many times, there about 2 to 3 percent of people on here hear the differences in cheap versus expensive cables, most of them are the one that review cables, I myself owned few cables that are 2000 to 3000, there not much differences between it and the cheaper cables, I like it because of how it look

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #18,908 of 40,573
I has said it many times, there about 2 to 3 percent of people on here hear the differences in cheap versus expensive cables, most of them are the one that review cables, I myself owned few cables that are 2000 to 3000, there not much differences between it and the cheaper cables, I like it because of how it look

This is totally fair. If you can't hear the difference, lucky you, really. But if you can hear the difference, whether or not it's "really" there doesn't matter; what matters is finding what gives you the best experience in your budget. It's the same with any art form: some people think Pollack was a genius; others don't see the appeal of apparently random splatters. Either way, you should put on your wall what you want to look at, regardless of any supposed science that says any two pieces of art are objectively identical.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #18,909 of 40,573
Yeah I see no point in “upgrade” cables either, though I won’t deride anyone for spending their money how they see fit. If someone feels like their fancy cables improve sound, then by all means get them. I’m less thrilled when newcomers are encouraged to splurge on expensive cables, but that’s a different story.

Personally, I do buy nicer cables at times, but it’s for aesthetics/weight/comfort/etc., not sound.

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #18,910 of 40,573
Hmm how far or how does the u/v shape extend like is it really prominent on every track? Does it still feel coherent and linear?
I own a pair of phantoms and on them the mids for me feels slightly more forward with a good punshy bass )

The Valkyrie’s sound is coherent (in comparison to IEMs I own), but not what I would describe as a linear sound signature (we might be using the term linear differently).
From my memory, the Phantom is more intimate, indeed with the bass and mids more forward and it’s treble relaxed. In comparison the Valkyrie is airier a touch more spacious and exciting.

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #18,911 of 40,573
Yeah I see no point in “upgrade” cables either, though I won’t deride anyone for spending their money how they see fit. If someone feels like their fancy cables improve sound, then by all means get them. I’m less thrilled when newcomers are encouraged to splurge on expensive cables, but that’s a different story.

Personally, I do buy nicer cables at times, but it’s for aesthetics/weight/comfort/etc., not sound.

All good points. More generally, especially for newcomers, I think it's very important to audition any audio equipment you're interested in at a price point you're not comfortable potentially dropping for nothing. Find your way to a CanJam, audio store, or local meet; or request a demo unit from a manufacturer/dealer. There's really no substitute for experiencing something yourself.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #18,912 of 40,573
My point wasn't to say people shouldn't post science things here. Though we need to be careful not to get too science-y here. There really is a thread for that and you can go there and go down that rabbit hole.

Everything we listen to ends up being subjective, UNLESS you want to listen through the prism of science. Most of us don't do that. My point about the Psquared was that I heard a difference. I also hear differences in cables, and I hear differences in DAPs, and I really hear differences in bitrate. Whether I'm fooling myself or I really do hear differences is a matter of conjecture (especially to others). I prefer to think I hear them. Others may think I'm crazy. But I'm using a $3500 DAP that sure sounds better to me than other, cheaper ones I've used and if I'm happy with it, that's all that matters. I use a Zeus and I love it, even though it costs more than other iems. Some of you don't like the Zeus, just as I don't like the Legend X or the Phantom. That doesn't make us right or wrong and there is no "science" that proves one or the other is better or worse. It's subjective. Just like food, or movies, or types of music, or women or men, we like what we like and we differentiate between them. Please don't try to prove that my dislike of broccoli is scientifically flawed. Or the fact that I prefer brunettes to blondes shows a lack of understanding. Or that Titanic deserved to win Best Picture. Because if you listen to music based on science I really think you are missing a lot of what music is. It's emotional and ephemeral and it can't, like any art, be broken down into component scientific parts and facts.

Oh, and I'm not fond of Pollack's splatters but I am deeply in love with Seurat's dots.

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #18,913 of 40,573
Personally, I’d rather see more objective measurements, since it points us away from frivolous spending.

Honestly, if you don’t like objective talk, then just skim (or ignore), smile, and move on. It’s generally what I’ll do with comments about how X aftermarket cable makes a night and day difference. If the comments get too off topic (they didn’t seem to here), then they’ll get removed anyways.

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #18,914 of 40,573
Personally, I’d rather see more objective measurements, since it points us away from frivolous spending.

Provided your ears and brain are identical to the model and software used to make the measurements…. Besides, the point is that a purchase that makes someone happy isn't frivolous regardless of whether it "should" make a difference.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #18,915 of 40,573
Provided your ears and brain are identical to the model and software used to make the measurements…. Besides, the point is that a purchase that makes someone happy isn't frivolous regardless of whether it "should" make a difference.

Again, if you hear a difference (no matter if it’s real or imagined) and it’s worth the price to you, then by all means go for it. That’s not what I’m calling frivolous spending here.

I’m fortunate enough to live somewhere with a lot of audio stores, so I can and have auditioned a pretty wide range of aftermarket cables. However, for those who can’t (and especially those who haven’t tried any at all), I’d say it’s not a great use of resources to throw money at aftermarket cables hoping they’ll result in sound improvements. Objective measurements in audio, whether with cables or amp/dac/daps, help in this regard because they generally err on the side of moderation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back