Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 4, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #18,886 of 40,574
Hi Guys, I am new to this fourm. I am considering to purchase a CIEM. I mostly listen pop amd rock and I like more balanced (reference-like?) sound. I tried UERR which I think sounds good but lacks something (I don't know how to describe), Phantom has too much bass and I feel it is a bit slow, ESR seems has vocal too recessed, EVR is currently on the top of my list. I would like to demo VE3.2 too which I think I may like according to VE's description. May I ask for your advice on those CIEM and any other suggestion? Thanks a lot!

If you can find a way to demo the itsfit Lab Fusion, I think it’ll be wonderful for your needs.

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #18,887 of 40,574
On the cheaper end, but well-liked by people looking for flatter, reference sets: the Fearless S6Pro is probably worth a look. You can get it made custom if you send them impression scans.

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #18,888 of 40,574
Hi Guys, I am new to this fourm. I am considering to purchase a CIEM. I mostly listen pop amd rock and I like more balanced (reference-like?) sound. I tried UERR which I think sounds good but lacks something (I don't know how to describe), Phantom has too much bass and I feel it is a bit slow, ESR seems has vocal too recessed, EVR is currently on the top of my list. I would like to demo VE3.2 too which I think I may like according to VE's description. May I ask for your advice on those CIEM and any other suggestion? Thanks a lot!

just get Zeus XR and be done , I have had mine for 2 years now and no thoughts (or money) of upgrading them.

people talk about the new lineup , which is logical being new and all , but Zeus is a beast if you want reference sound.

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #18,889 of 40,574
If (Mass)Drop still has the Zeus XlV, get that. Less than half the price of the XR and has the original Zeus tuning. I have the UERM, and if you like reference sound but like "more," this is the one for you.

Sorry, if you want CIEM, then XR. Drop is only a Uni.

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #18,890 of 40,574
These look very nice in person.
Got in a fairly lengthy audition of the Valkyries yesterday, listened out of my WM-1A their stock cable (EROS 2.5) with a 2.5 to 4.4 converter.
Quick notes:
U-shaped signature bordering V-Shaped IMO. Bass quantity seems more controlled in comparison to other EE's with the W9 but still very fun and present when called forth, it's mid-range seemed neutral, nothing really standing out. Treble was lively extended and a little splashy, compliments the bass, hence the U/V signature. Overall I really like the Valkyrie, would consider it for a custom with a few more auditions.
Do note these are initial impressions of a very fresh out of the box demo unit, things could change with a little burn in.

Hmm how far or how does the u/v shape extend like is it really prominent on every track? Does it still feel coherent and linear?
I own a pair of phantoms and on them the mids for me feels slightly more forward with a good punshy bass )

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #18,891 of 40,574
If (Mass)Drop still has the Zeus XlV, get that. Less than half the price of the XR and has the original Zeus tuning. I have the UERM, and if you like reference sound but like "more," this is the one for you.

Sorry, if you want CIEM, then XR. Drop is only a Uni.

i saw today a MD Zeus in the FS threads , 1000$ with a 3rd market cable or 800$ without the cable

Aug 5, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #18,892 of 40,574
I got so confused trying to figure out what my new Ares 8-wire w/Psquared plug was doing using my not-fully-burned-in MD Zeus that I swapped it for my regular-plug 8-wire. Then I took my XR for a ride with the Psquared. Wow. Now I know what it is doing. It increases detail, it improves placement within the soundstage, it improves clarity. Imagine sound as a tomato and you use a sharp knife to cut the tomato into slices, and those slices are what you hear within the soundstage. Then imagine a really sharp knife cutting the slices into even finer pieces of tomato. Weird metaphor, I know, but it seems that the Psquared is delivering finer cuts of sound. It's hard to describe, but it is clearly happening. For $50 it made a whole lot of difference.

From an interview https://www.headfonia.com/q-n-a-saturday-effect-audio/2/ Psquared is about halfway down.

HFN: Can you tell us a little bit about the PSquared plug?
EC: PSquared plugs employs the plating of 2 noble metals – Palladium & Platinum both which is in the same noble metals group as Rhodium but complements each other. Palladium & Platinum plating is commonly used in high-end premium HiFi setup and has yet to be explored within the Head-Fi community. We collaborated with Oyaide to bring the PSquared plug to the Head-Fi masses and thus far, response have been very well received.

HFN: What are the benefits of your PSquared plug?
EC: PSquared brought in a very rich and dynamic tone while enhancing the highs to be crispier and snappier. Reviewers have stated that the sound stage has enhanced greatly wherein a 3.5mm PSquared performs effortlessly well as though it is on a 2.5mm balanced configuration through the Astell & Kern players. One key noticeable difference is that PSquared plugs helped define the dimensions in which the music reproduction usually plays at. One could “See” (hear) better the placement of instruments and performers in a decently mastered source.

I'll listen to the MD Zeus with my regular cable tomorrow and try to get an idea as to how close it is to the XR.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #18,893 of 40,574
I got so confused trying to figure out what my new Ares 8-wire w/Psquared plug was doing using my not-fully-burned-in MD Zeus that I swapped it for my regular-plug 8-wire. Then I took my XR for a ride with the Psquared. Wow. Now I know what it is doing. It increases detail, it improves placement within the soundstage, it improves clarity. Imagine sound as a tomato and you use a sharp knife to cut the tomato into slices, and those slices are what you hear within the soundstage. Then imagine a really sharp knife cutting the slices into even finer pieces of tomato. Weird metaphor, I know, but it seems that the Psquared is delivering finer cuts of sound. It's hard to describe, but it is clearly happening. For $50 it made a whole lot of difference.

From an interview https://www.headfonia.com/q-n-a-saturday-effect-audio/2/ Psquared is about halfway down.

EC: PSquared plugs employs the plating of 2 noble metals – Palladium & Platinum both which is in the same noble metals group as Rhodium but complements each other. Palladium & Platinum plating is commonly used in high-end premium HiFi setup and has yet to be explored within the Head-Fi community. We collaborated with Oyaide to bring the PSquared plug to the Head-Fi masses and thus far, response have been very well received.

EC: PSquared brought in a very rich and dynamic tone while enhancing the highs to be crispier and snappier. Reviewers have stated that the sound stage has enhanced greatly wherein a 3.5mm PSquared performs effortlessly well as though it is on a 2.5mm balanced configuration through the Astell & Kern players. One key noticeable difference is that PSquared plugs helped define the dimensions in which the music reproduction usually plays at. One could “See” (hear) better the placement of instruments and performers in a decently mastered source.

I'll listen to the MD Zeus with my regular cable tomorrow and try to get an idea as to how close it is to the XR.

This is a nice teaser for me as I'm expecting my Eros II 8 wire with Psquared plug for my Phantoms on Wednesday... Sounds like exactly the refinement I am looking for..

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #18,895 of 40,574
You got the same set up like mine and will be satisfying your purchase. What is your source?

My source is the Fiio M11 and probably the weak link at the moment as there's hiss.. In the fall I'll be looking to change....

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #18,896 of 40,574
My source is the Fiio M11 and probably the weak link at the moment as there's hiss.. In the fall I'll be looking to change....

I’ve got DX229 with no hiss but cracking noises like in LPs at the start and the end but when there is music I couldn’t hear anything (maybe the nutube character). With N6ii is absolutely quiet.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #18,897 of 40,574

Rhodium, palladium and platinum all have poorer conductivity than copper, silver or even gold. Rhodium's claim to fame is VG conductivity combined with great durability and oxidation resistance but if you aren't wearing out your gold... If the P/P plug sounds better, it would have to do with metal synergy and/or quality of manufacture but really, there's nothing special regarding conductivity.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #18,898 of 40,574
Rhodium, palladium and platinum all have poorer conductivity than copper, silver or even gold. Rhodium's claim to fame is VG conductivity combined with great durability and oxidation resistance but if you aren't wearing out your gold... If the P/P plug sounds better, it would have to do with metal synergy and/or quality of manufacture but really, there's nothing special regarding conductivity.
indeed, before i got distracted earlier, i was curious, so:

upload_2019-8-5_19-16-57.png

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #18,899 of 40,574

indeed, before i got distracted earlier, i was curious, so:

As an engineer, I love when science meets Audio lovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back