Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 6, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #18,931 of 40,573
Hey, thanks for this! Interesting reading! My posts about this have been a bit disjointed for various reasons; I should have posted all 3 of them a week ago!
But in the first one, I gave my impressions of the Valkyrie vs Legend X.

I only had a brief listen to the Phantom, and from reading on here, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved it at first listen!
From my brief impression, it just had this enchanting sound signature, dark and rich and addictive.
Definitely one I'd like to be able to sit down with for a week or two and really get to know.

Ditto the Wraith and Valkyrie. My impression is that they each have elements that may surprise some people who are familiar with EE up til now and confound their expectations.
I'd say on balance that they are just both somewhat of a departure from what I'd heard in the EE range up til that point.
However, they each had qualities that hooked me immediately, and made me really want to spend a LOT more time with each of them.
I strongly feel they both are IEMs that will reward extended listening and each become addictive in their own way.

Again, I can only encourage @Devon Higgins and @ajyagle to move heaven and earth to arrange a long-overdue UK/EU review tour for whatever can be sent here.
Or reach out to me in my capacity as a reviewer. I won't say no :p

But yeah, I'm really excited about items in the existing line-up and the new editions; dying for the chance to hear (much) more! :)

I think EE is one very special brand. They got a wide range of iems and prices to suite all desires and pockets.
What I like about EE is there iem sound signature hihi, lets not forget also about the technology and techniques used and applied.
For example audio 64 claims resonance free sound with theirs tia tubeless drivers. Ok I heard them and when you compare it to EE anti resonance coating I think EE wins cause the sound sig is more even and natural.
While tia tubeless is also very good but I feel a metalic resonance in the notes peack and the airness is more woofy and opened room feel like. It creates an issue some sounds are kinda swallowed sometimes and you barely hear it. When played the exact same sound on phantom or other headphones its loud and clear effortlessly.

Another point to consider EE is an exclusive brand and they use premium materials such as mundorf silver soldering + high quality cables. No other company offer that.

Also I remarked that EE make research to cowork with brands that offer unique and high end grade gear, like Effect Audio.

I yet have to listen to wraight and valkyrie to establish my fundamental impressions. Your right every iem have their little black magic that we will crave after heard for ever lol.

Maybe wraight is like phantom on super steroids who knows )
But @Devon Higgins explained me that wraight is a follower from Zeus with improved bass and new electrostatic drivers....

Also phantom are a bit sensitive and can pickup hiss.
Phantoms are 117 db and 10ohm imagine wraight 4ohm and 117db I am not sure how that gona play for hiss...

Ohh just recalled I did hear the audeze line and found the lcd 2 classics open back to be the closest to phantom sound ) so that plus hugott2 with m scaler was amazing to. Took that much to be a phantom lol almost hihi.

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #18,932 of 40,573
Well, to get back to EE, do y'all know any DIY repairs I could do on my newly cracked custom Phantom? :triportsad: Like epoxy or something? The shell is solidly in one piece, just with a nasty fissure. I'd rather not drop $300 on a reshell if I can avoid it without damaging the internals or the fit.

Just shot you a message, bud.

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #18,933 of 40,573
That didn't take long, did it? EE has customer service the equal to that given by the late lamented Oppo.

As to the Ares ll+ with thicker gauge, I had one for a while, it does give a real bump low down, but I found it muddied the sound and put too much emphasis on one area. Can't speak to it in an 8-wire configuration.

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #18,934 of 40,573
My point wasn't to say people shouldn't post science things here. Though we need to be careful not to get too science-y here. There really is a thread for that and you can go there and go down that rabbit hole.
The problem is not so much that people should not get too science-y, a scientifically informed post can make a valuable contribution. The problem is that a lot of discussions that are supposedly "scientific" (they're not, it's just people pretending) end up becoming very toxic with people arguing opinions as if they were facts and pretending that science is some exalted form of objectivity. That is why we have the Sound Science forum.

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #18,935 of 40,573
How indicative is the Bravado bass for the others up the X series line? I love the visceral impact and that deep low rumble on albums like Max Richter's "Sleep" but sometimes find it obscures some of the subtler tonality in things like U2's Joshua Tree.
Does the bass get more controlled up the line or is it more of a balancing act with the extra BAs?

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #18,936 of 40,573
How indicative is the Bravado bass for the others up the X series line? I love the visceral impact and that deep low rumble on albums like Max Richter's "Sleep" but sometimes find it obscures some of the subtler tonality in things like U2's Joshua Tree.
Does the bass get more controlled up the line or is it more of a balancing act with the extra BAs?
Balancing act, from my brief time with the Bravado. I thought that the Bravado wasn't really less deep than the LX, but the bass didn't feel as detailed to me or quite as impactful. It was a very good approximation for the price though—and genuinely remarkable for a 1DD1BA hybrid.

On the note of impactful, deep bass intermingled with high amounts of detail:

if you have Tidal or another way to get high quality music, get "Hadestown: The Myth. The Musical. The Legend." by "Original Cast of Hadestown". It's probably the best live recording I've ever heard in my life. It has incredible soundstage and separation; you can really hear where everybody is on the stage, it has an incredible baritone singer and an amazing live band with THUMPING drum hits... it's just so good. I can't recommend it enough as both an enjoyable experience and as a demonstration of a headphone's technical prowess. You're looking for the one with this album art:

upload_2019-8-6_12-33-57.png

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #18,937 of 40,573

I had a relatively short listen to the Bravado, whilst listening to the whole Empire X-series line up.
My impressions were that the low end impact and rumble is definitely less in strength than the other IEM's in the line up, which all feature dual WeaponX dynamic drivers (except the new Valkyrie, of which more in a moment)..
However, despite the power going up, control and detail also go up, so you may find that the low end impacts the rest of the sound signature less than you would expect.

Another factor is the specific tuning for which EE were aiming with each model. Nemesis (and Vantage too I think) allow a little warmth from the low end to add a delicate tinge to the sound signature, and are comparatively a bit more v-shaped, whereas the Legend X has the detailed and extended highs and a somewhat more balanced signature.

And now for the Valkyrie, which coincidentally, I was reflecting upon earlier today.
I'd offered some comparisons of its low end vs the Legend X previously; if we say the Legend X is 8 out of 10 for bass power and impact, then I'd put the Valkyrie around 6.5, although this will of course vary depending on cables, source and tracks listened to (and one's own perspective on what scores each would merit!).

Upon reflection, the low end is more reminiscent of the Bravado - albeit with more balance and control - which also has the single WeaponX DD.
However, I'd say overall, the sound signature in the Valkyrie is a significant step up and may actually offer what you have said you are looking for. Have a look at my previous comments about it (and other people's of course!).
Don't want to re-post all the same things again :p

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #18,938 of 40,573
I had used Massdrop Zeus IEM during 10 hour flight from Seattle to Incheon, Korea on Aug 4th.

What a joy!

With using IEM supplied by Delta Airline, the music or sound from movie sounds mundane.

But with MD Zeus IEM, I had been happy with dynamic, nuanced treble and realistic soundstage throughout 10 hours.

It made my trip much easier.

I had crossed Pacific Ocean more than 100 times but this is the best occasion to enjoy sound out of Airline source.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #18,939 of 40,573
I am very intrigued by the valkyrie and cant wait to discover its character and what kind of nature is it )

I own phantom but miss the DD and shimmery chrystal highs that zings like little miniature bells
I heard an electrostatic headphone once and the treble felt so natural and realistic.
What I believe is each driver has its strengths in particular frequencies and valkyrie seems to hit that sweet spot on.
DD for sub bass
Ba for mids vocals
Electrostat for superior natural highs.

Now what is it going to be like???
I gota say thats quiet an intriguing new bread )

With a nice tuning and EE magic this gota be a new awsome experience.

@Devon Higgins when will it be available at ee office to audition?

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #18,940 of 40,573
Well, to get back to EE, do y'all know any DIY repairs I could do on my newly cracked custom Phantom? :triportsad: Like epoxy or something? The shell is solidly in one piece, just with a nasty fissure. I'd rather not drop $300 on a reshell if I can avoid it without damaging the internals or the fit.

I'd contact EE first before trying anything. Otherwise, I highly recommend Bondic "liquid plastic". It doesn't set until exposed to UV light and can be applied in layers/stages. I've used it fix damaged nozzles and CIEMs.

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #18,941 of 40,573
—and genuinely remarkable for a 1DD1BA hybrid.

You can say that again! I can't get over how sweet the single BA sound is.
And thanks for the music rec. I'll check it out for sure.

I had a relatively short listen to the Bravado, whilst listening to the whole Empire X-series line up.
My impressions were that the low end impact and rumble is definitely less in strength than the other IEM's in the line up, which all feature dual WeaponX dynamic drivers (except the new Valkyrie, of which more in a moment)..
However, despite the power going up, control and detail also go up, so you may find that the low end impacts the rest of the sound signature less than you would expect.

Another factor is the specific tuning for which EE were aiming with each model. Nemesis (and Vantage too I think) allow a little warmth from the low end to add a delicate tinge to the sound signature, and are comparatively a bit more v-shaped, whereas the Legend X has the detailed and extended highs and a somewhat more balanced signature.

And now for the Valkyrie, which coincidentally, I was reflecting upon earlier today.
I'd offered some comparisons of its low end vs the Legend X previously; if we say the Legend X is 8 out of 10 for bass power and impact, then I'd put the Valkyrie around 6.5, although this will of course vary depending on cables, source and tracks listened to (and one's own perspective on what scores each would merit!).

Upon reflection, the low end is more reminiscent of the Bravado - albeit with more balance and control - which also has the single WeaponX DD.
However, I'd say overall, the sound signature in the Valkyrie is a significant step up and may actually offer what you have said you are looking for. Have a look at my previous comments about it (and other people's of course!).
Don't want to re-post all the same things again :p

Thanks for the thorough assessment. I really wish I was near a placed to demo these.. I'd love to hear the Legend X and Valkyrie... I'm very happy with the Phantom at the moment but I have to admit that the Bravado bass is really exciting and even soothing on Max Richter albums... He likes the low rumbling bass tones.

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #18,942 of 40,573
I am very intrigued by the valkyrie and cant wait to discover its character and what kind of nature is it )

I own phantom but miss the DD and shimmery chrystal highs that zings like little miniature bells
I heard an electrostatic headphone once and the treble felt so natural and realistic.
What I believe is each driver has its strengths in particular frequencies and valkyrie seems to hit that sweet spot on.
DD for sub bass
Ba for mids vocals
Electrostat for superior natural highs.

Now what is it going to be like???
I gota say thats quiet an intriguing new bread )

With a nice tuning and EE magic this gota be a new awsome experience.

@Devon Higgins when will it be available at ee office to audition?

I'm looking forward to hearing about it. My favorite setups have been Stax gear so I am very interested to hear if the magic can be captured in iem form.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #18,944 of 40,573
@SBranson is secretly praying to the IEM gods that I'll be flipping my Valk at a discount :p

@Vitaly2017 I was literally gonna ask you when you were planning a truck run to EE HQ.

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #18,945 of 40,573
@SBranson is secretly praying to the IEM gods that I'll be flipping my Valk at a discount :p

@Vitaly2017 I was literally gonna ask you when you were planning a truck run to EE HQ.

Haha you wanna hope in ) come to montreal and we go to Georgia for a road trip lol:ksc75smile::dt880smile:

Make a big visit at EE in style on a semi truck )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back