Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 7, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #18,961 of 40,613
I had to regularly use a clean cloth (like the type I use to clean my glasses) and wipe the nozzle to remove any oil/moisture that could make it more slick. It would really be a plus if they would start putting a rib on the end of the nozzle to hold tips more securely. IMO
Would isopropyl alcohol be safe to use on the finish?

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #18,962 of 40,613

Yup, isopropyl alcohol is the best material to clean lacquered acrylic with, as confirmed by pretty much every IEM manufacturer I've spoken to.

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #18,963 of 40,613
I now have 100+ hours on my MassDrop Zeus and can say with some certainty that it sounds very like the original Zeus. The reason for the quibble is that I have maybe 600 hours on the XR and it is slightly more cohesive. But I would warrant that with that many hours on the MassDrop it would sound identical.

Aug 7, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #18,967 of 40,613

At least on the customs, I think the care tips say (in bold) to use alcohol-free wipes to clean, but I don't have it on me.

It is totally safe to use on the finish. The user guide only says to use alcohol-free wipes due to the amount of products on the market that would vary in amount of alcohol saturation. You want to avoid alcohol getting down the sound tubes and potentially ruining a driver.
So yes they are safe to use, just don't use one that is "drenched" in alochol. We use little "alcohol prep pads" with 70% isopropyl alcohol to keep things sanitary at demos and trade shows.

Aug 7, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #18,968 of 40,613
In the case of my Valk, I'm just going to live with the stock EA 4.4 since the cable comes in the cost, not spending more money. (I have this weird love-hate for EA)

I remember talking to Jack at CanJam SoCal after long listening to Valkyrie with Eros II 4wire he saw that I got Eros II 8wire on DX220 then told me that you would’ve loved and addicted to the Valkyrie’s SQ more with what you have now!

Aug 7, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #18,970 of 40,613
In your case, it was a different cable too, so I'm trying to control/console myself with the thought that I don't know how much difference specifically the P-squared plug made :)

Just to quell that "what if" I'd suggest you do it. You're already spending so much, $50 is a small price to pay to avoid wondering if you should have. Im sure you saw olddude's post about the effect of the plug.

Has anyone a suggestion to prevent tips coming off in ear. The tube? is of the same material as the body on my LX and it has little grip on the tip. I have tried several different tips.

I've been tempted to use that UV cured resin to make a lip. The Final type tips seem to wear out quickly and start sliding off very easily.

You've gone from a copper cable to a copper/silver hybrid attached to a fairly warm and somewhat thick iem. It's going to brighten the sound. With my Zeus, which is already bright, I use the Ares to bring it down a bit.

Of course some would say we can't hear the differences, but.....

I'll keep the Ares II around as the Zeus is definitely on my list of iems to try..

I feel sorry for people who truly feel they can't hear the difference. Everyone's hearing is different and I'm sure there are many music lovers who can't hear the difference. I have strong deutan colour blindness but I still love art and have painted some decent portraits but there are limits to what I can do or appreciate because of it... including really appreciating Matisse or pursuing many careers.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #18,971 of 40,613
I have a different philosophy about audio cables.
You know some forumer wrote once ; you can cut your lamp in your room and hook it to your dap and headphones, then guess what it will work you have music that current took threw the wire to the headphones!

While I found that quote a little to extream lol. He had a point.

So back in my early audiophile journey I was reading a lot of threads about what cable does silver is brighter and copper is warmer as a general rule of thumbs.

What I learned my self is that cables actually dont change sound the way audiophiles think....

Its more like a cable changes the electrical current properties and that in result alters sound into different shapes and nuances.

So I believe if you have a very highend cable atm example ares II 8wires my case. Its not supposed to be that much of a drastic change compared to an 8 wire Cleopatra. The differences you actually feel and perceive are the way they forged the alloy and also cause its a silver cable. So 2 different metal types.

I know I am kinda saying there is no difference but at same time my example shows that there is one lmao.

All I am saying is a highend cable no matter what metal it will be already on a very high level of music. But man the prices on these cables is jewelry kind of very very pricey in my opinion.

My ares II 8wire was 350$ and if I want Cleopatra in 8 wire its around 1450$
So what you guys think?
Worth it or not? For maybe 5% in sound differences

Aug 7, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #18,972 of 40,613
Funny- I think I've had tips come off twice. I walk with mine, and my ears certainly get sweaty after a mile or two of fast walking. It may be how you take your iems out of your ears. I take mine out by lifting the bottom at an angle so the top of the tip compresses against that part of my ear and the bottom of the iem compresses against the bottom of the tip as I remove them. That breaks the seal. If you just pull straight out, the tip is more likely to slide off the tube.

As to customs, I have a UERM, but have had many uni's and like them equally. And I can sell uni's a lot easier and for more.

My FA tips last maybe 4-5 months before starting to break down.

Aug 7, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #18,974 of 40,613
I have a different philosophy about audio cables.
You know some forumer wrote once ; you can cut your lamp in your room and hook it to your dap and headphones, then guess what it will work you have music that current took threw the wire to the headphones!

While I found that quote a little to extream lol. He had a point.

So back in my early audiophile journey I was reading a lot of threads about what cable does silver is brighter and copper is warmer as a general rule of thumbs.

What I learned my self is that cables actually dont change sound the way audiophiles think....

Its more like a cable changes the electrical current properties and that in result alters sound into different shapes and nuances.

So I believe if you have a very highend cable atm example ares II 8wires my case. Its not supposed to be that much of a drastic change compared to an 8 wire Cleopatra. The differences you actually feel and perceive are the way they forged the alloy and also cause its a silver cable. So 2 different metal types.

I know I am kinda saying there is no difference but at same time my example shows that there is one lmao.

All I am saying is a highend cable no matter what metal it will be already on a very high level of music. But man the prices on these cables is jewelry kind of very very pricey in my opinion.

My ares II 8wire was 350$ and if I want Cleopatra in 8 wire its around 1450$
So what you guys think?
Worth it or not? For maybe 5% in sound differences

Don’t fall into addiction of cable sounding. To me the source (DAPs) and the outcome (IEM/CIEM/headphone) are most important and I would choose what I am satisfied with but not ending up loosing lot of money. My 2 cents.

Aug 7, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #18,975 of 40,613
Don’t fall into addiction of cable sounding. To me the source (DAPs) and the outcome (IEM/CIEM/headphone) are most important and I would choose what I am satisfied with but not ending up loosing lot of money. My 2 cents.

I am on the same page with you on this.
Rather buy valkyrie vs a cable, way much better buy in my opinion and I got the good cable already to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back