Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 8, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #17,941 of 40,613
Zeus is transparent and incredibly detailed and holographic. It places you inside the music and everything is amazingly clear. There were complaints of lack of bass, but it has tons of bass when the track does. If it doesn't, you hear what the track is supposed to sound like. It has a lot of upper mids and upper end, you can hear every tick of percussion and every guitar string clearly. Vocals are amazingly clean and clear. It treats all areas of the sound equally well, none seems to be overwhelming any other. With 14 drivers per side, it is like each of them delivers what it needs to, opening and closing doors as it goes, in complete sync. It has a wide soundstage, especially with an Ares ll 8-wire. I listen to 60's and 70's rock, some jazz, a slight bit of orchestra behind those two genres. It's incredible with acoustic rock/folk. My music does not have or depend on sub bass.

The Phantom has wonderful bass and a very strong midrange, full of timbre. You can hear every bit of every instrument in the mids. You can hear and feel the vibration of guitars and guitar strings, drum strikes, and piano keys being hammered. I found it hard to hear as much upper treble as I would like, and felt that vocals were a bit thicker sounding than other IEM's I have owned. I did not find it transparent or detailed like the Zeus. Some folks have felt the sound is somewhat veiled. A lot of folks that listen to EDM and classical seem thrilled by it. I sold mine after a few months.

I tried a Legend for about a minute at CanJam last year, definitely not my cup of tea. Way too thick sounding for me. I hear the word smooth used a lot. Someone here posted that the treble was too shrill for him. I can't imagine, as I really couldn't hear it. Lots of bass. LOTs of bass. I'll let other fill in the blanks.

Since you have the Phantom, imagine it with a bit less emphasis in the low end, much cleaner in the mids but with less timbre, more natural vocals, and a wide open space of upper mids and treble stretching out to the horizon. The Zeus is much more transparent and detailed. I really wanted to like ithe Phantom, but for about 95% of what I listen to it didn't please me.

I didn't want to buy a Zeus sight unheard (sorry) and when Jack couldn't make CanJam two years ago because of airline/airport issues, I thought I was done with it. But I kept reading reviews and everything I read convinced me it was the sound signature I wanted. So I bought it. And now I have two of them. Put it this way - if the Phantom and the Legend are too warm for you, the Zeus would probably fit your purposes. It's like swimming in crystal clear water.

Sorry- You order it by asking Devon for it and she'll walk you through the process.

Also want to thank you for this detailed description. Have the FA S8F and absolutely love it. But am looking for something from EE for home use only. Was leaning towards the Phantom, but no longer from what you’ve stated. Think the Zeus would be the perfect choice as I also primarily listen to 60’s and 70’s rock plus metal. And what I enjoy about my S8F is the detail retrieval.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #17,942 of 40,613
Maybe a weird question, but is it possible to order an Empire Ears IEM without the Effect Audio cable?

Jun 9, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #17,943 of 40,613
Zeus is transparent and incredibly detailed and holographic. It places you inside the music and everything is amazingly clear. There were complaints of lack of bass, but it has tons of bass when the track does. If it doesn't, you hear what the track is supposed to sound like. It has a lot of upper mids and upper end, you can hear every tick of percussion and every guitar string clearly. Vocals are amazingly clean and clear. It treats all areas of the sound equally well, none seems to be overwhelming any other. With 14 drivers per side, it is like each of them delivers what it needs to, opening and closing doors as it goes, in complete sync. It has a wide soundstage, especially with an Ares ll 8-wire. I listen to 60's and 70's rock, some jazz, a slight bit of orchestra behind those two genres. It's incredible with acoustic rock/folk. My music does not have or depend on sub bass.

The Phantom has wonderful bass and a very strong midrange, full of timbre. You can hear every bit of every instrument in the mids. You can hear and feel the vibration of guitars and guitar strings, drum strikes, and piano keys being hammered. I found it hard to hear as much upper treble as I would like, and felt that vocals were a bit thicker sounding than other IEM's I have owned. I did not find it transparent or detailed like the Zeus. Some folks have felt the sound is somewhat veiled. A lot of folks that listen to EDM and classical seem thrilled by it. I sold mine after a few months.

I tried a Legend for about a minute at CanJam last year, definitely not my cup of tea. Way too thick sounding for me. I hear the word smooth used a lot. Someone here posted that the treble was too shrill for him. I can't imagine, as I really couldn't hear it. Lots of bass. LOTs of bass. I'll let other fill in the blanks.

Since you have the Phantom, imagine it with a bit less emphasis in the low end, much cleaner in the mids but with less timbre, more natural vocals, and a wide open space of upper mids and treble stretching out to the horizon. The Zeus is much more transparent and detailed. I really wanted to like ithe Phantom, but for about 95% of what I listen to it didn't please me.

I didn't want to buy a Zeus sight unheard (sorry) and when Jack couldn't make CanJam two years ago because of airline/airport issues, I thought I was done with it. But I kept reading reviews and everything I read convinced me it was the sound signature I wanted. So I bought it. And now I have two of them. Put it this way - if the Phantom and the Legend are too warm for you, the Zeus would probably fit your purposes. It's like swimming in crystal clear water.

Sorry- You order it by asking Devon for it and she'll walk you through the process.
Very nice and passionate (regarding the Zeus) description olddude :thumbsup: but (there's always a but, isn't there?) readers have to keep in mind that your description was based on listening from a SP1000SS and synergy also plays a (imo quite big) role here.

I have the Zeus XR and Phantom (and still enjoy the heck out of both on a daily basis), while I also had a universal LX on a loan for several weeks in a row. I agree that for detail retrievement, wide soundstage and transparency in general the Zeus would be a save pick.

From my (RedWine modded) AK380Cu I also clearly prefer the Zeus over the Phantom. From that dap the Zeus (I usually pick the 'R' side) delivers amazing lows (even in the sub department) and it has a black background on top of that.
However, when I switch with the Zeus to the LPG there is noticeable hiss in quiet passages and even when I boost the bass (by PMEQ) it still won't deliver the lows on the same level as from the AK without EQ.
So, from the more aggressive and brighter LPG I absolutely prefer the Phantom over Zeus and veiled ain't a word that comes to my mind in that wonderful combination :ksc75smile:

Btw (now we're on the synergy subject), if you ever get the chance to try a PW1960 2w on your Zeus (I think there were 2 for sale in the classifieds over the past months), I would say take the jump and be amazed :wink:
I know that they ain't cheap, but if you check the cables that I've tried (under my profile) along the way, then I think it's save to say that that combination is still the one to beat imho.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #17,945 of 40,613
Yes, the Zeus will have some hiss with an LPG. It does so with some others, as well. But with the right DAP, no hiss. AK's seem to be a good match. Has to do with impedance.

Notice I personally didn't say the Phantom was veiled. :)

Synergy is always the issue here, at one point I pushed on these threads to always say what is used with what just so when a rave or a pan was given for an IEM or DAP or cable, it was clear what was working with it. That didn't go very far and I gave up (not just on this thread, btw). I try to always say what I am using so it is clear what I am talking about.

I've thought about the 1960 but just don't want to get into the cable wars (more than I already am). I had Silver and Black Dragons (for other IEM's), but now am happy with the Ares ll's I have. It's just a rabbit hole I am not anxious to go down. If I get anything else it would be a slightly warmer AK to balance out the SS. But I'm in no hurry. :)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #17,948 of 40,613
Just enjoying my Phantoms this Sunday morning... :ksc75smile:
SP1KM - Scorpions.jpg

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #17,949 of 40,613
I have read where some people say the Legend X bass is always there. I am finding it is only there when the song calls for it. Not sure why some say it is always there. I am liking the Legend X. With this being the third day of exclusively listening to it, tomorrow will start day one of exclusively listening to the Phantom for three days.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #17,950 of 40,613
I have read where some people say the Legend X bass is always there. I am finding it is only there when the song calls for it. Not sure why some say it is always there. I am liking the Legend X. With this being the third day of exclusively listening to it, tomorrow will start day one of exclusively listening to the Phantom for three days.

Yep, ive had the Legend X for a year and it isn’t going to turn a song that has no bass into all of a sudden a boomy track.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #17,951 of 40,613
Well obviously it can’t create bass out of nothing. I find that the tuning/driver setup makes the bass dominate when something is there though.

Not necessarily a bad thing (bass is satisfying), and it’s impressive how good the Legend X is in terms of technicalities. Would be very interested if EE decided to stick a couple of those W9 drivers into the Wraith.

Jun 10, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #17,952 of 40,613
The thing for me is that the bass of Legend X has the strongest sense of physicality of any bass I have heard so far and it is that physicality that you can't "un-hear". It is always there and for a lot of music it is amazing, I absolutely adore Legend X for it, but for something like classical music it unbalances the presentation by increasing the relative impact of the bass section. That could still be very enjoyable for some, but for me personally I prefer the balance that the Phantom bring. (Mind you, I listen mostly with my Phantom paired with the Eros II 8W.)

Jun 10, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #17,953 of 40,613
The Legend X
The thing for me is that the bass of Legend X has the strongest sense of physicality of any bass I have heard so far and it is that physicality that you can't "un-hear". It is always there and for a lot of music it is amazing, I absolutely adore Legend X for it, but for something like classical music it unbalances the presentation by increasing the relative impact of the bass section. That could still be very enjoyable for some, but for me personally I prefer the balance that the Phantom bring. (Mind you, I listen mostly with my Phantom paired with the Eros II 8W.)
Wyville you are correct. The Campfire Audio Atlas is the same, a strong sense of bass. The only caveat, to my ears, is both of those IEMs have positively morphed after being well seasoned.

The Legend X is one of the most technically proficient IEM's I have heard, bar none. I have had my X for a year and it is not the same IEM it was a year ago. I do not exactly remember the turning point but the change is real. I will say that the Zeus was equally as technically proficient, but in its detail, transparency.

There is one other factor to weigh and that is universal vs. custom. I know it may be surprising but my Legend X is universal and I have found that the Spiral Dot tips and their wide bore open up the sound dramatically, compared to the Final tips, which I do occasionally swap between. The Legend X is truly a TOTL offering.

I am glad I have waited to write my review of the X, almost in time for the new releases, because it has proven to deliver a TOTL experience over the past year.

I am certain that the Phantom checks a lot of boxes as well. I have said this countless times, at this TOTL level, none of the offerings suck, it just comes down to the signature that satisfies you most.

Jun 10, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #17,954 of 40,613
at this TOTL level, none of the offerings suck, it just comes down to the signature that satisfies you most.

You're absolutely correct. I find that everyone just hears things differently. There are so many factors past the DAPs, DACs, Amps, and IEMs. Everybody's ear canal is shaped different (in the case of universals), and everyone's brain is going to interpret things in slightly unique ways. You just have to find what works best for you! :)

Jun 10, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #17,955 of 40,613
They used to be under “Legacy” but I think now if you just contact them they can still make them for you.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Both the custom Spartan IV and Zeus XR are available by request at this time. We pulled 'em off the site simply cause we wanted our new babies, EP and X Series, to get the spotlight they deserved. :angel:

Maybe a weird question, but is it possible to order an Empire Ears IEM without the Effect Audio cable?

Absolutely! Feel free to PM myself or @ajyagle when you're ready to order and we can get you squared away. Or take the other route and sell it like everyone else suggested! Lol

Just enjoying my Phantoms this Sunday morning... :ksc75smile:

Best way to spend the day :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back