Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 8, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #17,926 of 40,591
Part of the problem with this hobby is the rush to keep trying the new new new. Always looking for "better" or newer or what's talked about here. I've found that the Zeus XR and the SP1000SS are exactly what I want in a sound signature. I tried a Phantom, and while it was interesting it wasn't for me. Having gone up the ladder in this hobby from an iPhone with earbuds through numerous DAPs, IEMs and cables, buying and selling as I went, I'm at a place where I want to stay. So, having had the Zeus for nearly two years (an eternity, here), I was debating buying a custom Zeus (I have ear issues sometimes and while having them can't wear customs) or seeing if the Massdrop ones came around again. I don't want to get in a situation where EE has stopped making them, mine break and can't be fixed, and I have to start working through the pack trying to find ones I like as much. So, when Massdrop happened again, I snatched up a pair. From a cost perspective it makes sense. From a backup perspective, it makes sense. The signature is a bit different, though it's hard to tell as right now I have the 4-wire Ares ll on it (am having it re-wired soon to 8), but it will be close enough in another 100 hours that I won't notice it.

As to custom vs. uni's, customs can be very nice but they can also be problematic. My custom UERMs are very nice, but my uni Zeus leaves them in the dust. With good tips I don't find the difference to be all that much. Others may feel it's night and day, I don't. The Zeus is biggish but much easier to wear than an Angie or an 846. It's in the design, not the size. The Phantoms were smaller than the Zeus, and the Massdrop Zeus is smaller as well. And when I finally go deaf or die, my kid(s) can wear mine (well, not the UERM) or sell them.

One thing not talked about here is what happens to your ears as you get older. I listened to loud music all my (long) life, and that takes a toll. I see folks here talk about listening with IEM's for many hours a day, and I'm sure they don't have the volume turned down. The more you listen the more you turn the volume up during the day has been my experience. Kids in my classes listen with their earbuds (now those stupid white bluetooth things) and I can hear their music across the room. Bad things await them in the future. Having customs that are comfortable can lead to longer listening sessions. My ears wore out listening to speakers. I can only imagine what IEM's are doing to us (and I keep my volume reasonable at this point). Just a word from the wise. :)

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #17,927 of 40,591
As to custom vs. uni's, customs can be very nice but they can also be problematic. My custom UERMs are very nice, but my uni Zeus leaves them in the dust. With good tips I don't find the difference to be all that much. Others may feel it's night and day, I don't. The Zeus is biggish but much easier to wear than an Angie or an 846. It's in the design, not the size. The Phantoms were smaller than the Zeus, and the Massdrop Zeus is smaller as well. And when I finally go deaf or die, my kid(s) can wear mine (well, not the UERM) or sell them.

One thing not talked about here is what happens to your ears as you get older. I listened to loud music all my (long) life, and that takes a toll. I see folks here talk about listening with IEM's for many hours a day, and I'm sure they don't have the volume turned down. The more you listen the more you turn the volume up during the day has been my experience. Kids in my classes listen with their earbuds (now those stupid white bluetooth things) and I can hear their music across the room. Bad things await them in the future. Having customs that are comfortable can lead to longer listening sessions. My ears wore out listening to speakers. I can only imagine what IEM's are doing to us (and I keep my volume reasonable at this point). Just a word from the wise. :)

My ears are weird unfortunately. My right canal is very narrow and high with a curve right at the first bend, and then it gets more narrow and more curved which makes universals a bit of a mare unfortunately. Would far prefer being able to use universals as I do feel a little self conscious wearing customs at work (which I got for the noise isolation). Pro's and con's to both though. If you've found something that works and are more than happy with it then more power to you :)

On the issue of volume I agree. Without wishing to preach, turn it down now to listen longer later! My ears due to numerous factors (age, health, too many loud gigs when younger, work place) are not what they were. One of the reasons I got into the whole iem/ciems business was for the noise isolation at work. I work in a factory with 25 machines going all day along with other factors on top of that which can cause quite the racket. Would rather wear headphones/ear defenders but have to wear glasses most of the time as I am stuck in front of a touch screen all day and headphones become uncomfortable after a time :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #17,928 of 40,591
Part of the problem with this hobby is the rush to keep trying the new new new. Always looking for "better" or newer or what's talked about here. I've found that the Zeus XR and the SP1000SS are exactly what I want in a sound signature. I tried a Phantom, and while it was interesting it wasn't for me. Having gone up the ladder in this hobby from an iPhone with earbuds through numerous DAPs, IEMs and cables, buying and selling as I went, I'm at a place where I want to stay. So, having had the Zeus for nearly two years (an eternity, here), I was debating buying a custom Zeus (I have ear issues sometimes and while having them can't wear customs) or seeing if the Massdrop ones came around again. I don't want to get in a situation where EE has stopped making them, mine break and can't be fixed, and I have to start working through the pack trying to find ones I like as much. So, when Massdrop happened again, I snatched up a pair. From a cost perspective it makes sense. From a backup perspective, it makes sense. The signature is a bit different, though it's hard to tell as right now I have the 4-wire Ares ll on it (am having it re-wired soon to 8), but it will be close enough in another 100 hours that I won't notice it.

So you're saying the cure to upgrade-itis is buy-the-same-model-over-and-over-again-itis? :L3000:

In all seriousness though I agree with your other points, haven't found an IEM signature I prefer more than the Phantom so far, so the fever to buy another (C)IEM had subsided, for now. But I do listen loudly so long-term hearing health is a concern, which is why (amongst other reasons) I've moved to open-back headphones and stick to CIEMs for my commute. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #17,929 of 40,591
:) No the solution is not to buy the same over and over. But haven't you ever bought a piece of clothing, worn it out or gotten it dirty, gone back to the store and they no longer stock it? That's all I did.

As to upgradeitis, when the Mojo came out and there was a rush for it, and every page on this site was Mojo Mojo Mojo, and the Mojo thread was 1,000 pages long, I felt the stirring of a need to buy it. Even though I didn't need it. And then a month or so later the For Sale pages were filled with Mojo Mojo Mojo. It's hard to avoid the siren calls here.

As to hearing loss, I grew up in the early '60's and spent a lot of time at the Filmore and Winterland and Avalon Ballrooms, among others. VERY loud. And I listened to my stereo turned up loud as well. Didn't use headphones much, but still..... Now I'm glad I didn't have IEM's back then. Ears are finite. Like the rest of our bodies. So it's good to be nice to them.

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #17,930 of 40,591
As to upgradeitis, when the Mojo came out and there was a rush for it, and every page on this site was Mojo Mojo Mojo, and the Mojo thread was 1,000 pages long, I felt the stirring of a need to buy it. Even though I didn't need it. And then a month or so later the For Sale pages were filled with Mojo Mojo Mojo. It's hard to avoid the siren calls here.

So true. Add Focal Elear to that list as well.

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #17,931 of 40,591
:) No the solution is not to buy the same over and over. But haven't you ever bought a piece of clothing, worn it out or gotten it dirty, gone back to the store and they no longer stock it? That's all I did.

As to hearing loss, I grew up in the early '60's and spent a lot of time at the Filmore and Winterland and Avalon Ballrooms, among others. VERY loud. And I listened to my stereo turned up loud as well. Didn't use headphones much, but still..... Now I'm glad I didn't have IEM's back then. Ears are finite. Like the rest of our bodies. So it's good to be nice to them.
Was joking of course :L3000:

Agreed that it takes time to learn to skip the hype, that also comes with the experience of knowing what one truly wants though along with learning the preferences of the reviewers and members one reads impressions from, and of course along with demoing when/if possible.

In any case enjoy :beerchug:

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #17,932 of 40,591
Was joking of course :L3000:

Agreed that it takes time to learn to skip the hype, that also comes with the experience of knowing what one truly wants though along with learning the preferences of the reviewers and members one reads impressions from, and of course along with demoing when/if possible.

In any case enjoy :beerchug:
Us old guys know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.

giphy.gif

Jun 8, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #17,933 of 40,591
I am almost 50 and thankfully have my hearing. I never listened loud and with IEMs I don’t listen loud. One can have IEMs and still not destroy their hearing if they responsibly listen at lower volumes.

Jun 8, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #17,934 of 40,591
Mine didn't really start to go until my sixties. Late fifties early sixties is when the fun begins. :) Responsibly and lower volumes are not the keywords of Head-Fi. :)

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #17,935 of 40,591
Can someone explain how Zeus sounds compared to Legend X and/or Phantom? I have the latter two on loaner from Empire Ears, but the Zeus is not available as a loaner.

Also, how do you order a Zeus from Empire Ears if I went that route? I can’t find them anywhere on their site.

I think I decided on custom when my wife turned on the TV.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #17,937 of 40,591
Zeus has s much more neutral and clinical than either the Legends X or Phantoms. They have great separation and even across the frequency spectrum. Comes across as lean or bright in comparison. May have little less veil or better clarity but not much. Definitely leaner by a fair amount on the bottom end. Stage is wider and deeper than the Phantom and about the same as the Lx. Vocals are very nice as is the whole midrange. Treble is bigger but well managed.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #17,938 of 40,591
Zeus is transparent and incredibly detailed and holographic. It places you inside the music and everything is amazingly clear. There were complaints of lack of bass, but it has tons of bass when the track does. If it doesn't, you hear what the track is supposed to sound like. It has a lot of upper mids and upper end, you can hear every tick of percussion and every guitar string clearly. Vocals are amazingly clean and clear. It treats all areas of the sound equally well, none seems to be overwhelming any other. With 14 drivers per side, it is like each of them delivers what it needs to, opening and closing doors as it goes, in complete sync. It has a wide soundstage, especially with an Ares ll 8-wire. I listen to 60's and 70's rock, some jazz, a slight bit of orchestra behind those two genres. It's incredible with acoustic rock/folk. My music does not have or depend on sub bass.

The Phantom has wonderful bass and a very strong midrange, full of timbre. You can hear every bit of every instrument in the mids. You can hear and feel the vibration of guitars and guitar strings, drum strikes, and piano keys being hammered. I found it hard to hear as much upper treble as I would like, and felt that vocals were a bit thicker sounding than other IEM's I have owned. I did not find it transparent or detailed like the Zeus. Some folks have felt the sound is somewhat veiled. A lot of folks that listen to EDM and classical seem thrilled by it. I sold mine after a few months.

I tried a Legend for about a minute at CanJam last year, definitely not my cup of tea. Way too thick sounding for me. I hear the word smooth used a lot. Someone here posted that the treble was too shrill for him. I can't imagine, as I really couldn't hear it. Lots of bass. LOTs of bass. I'll let other fill in the blanks.

Since you have the Phantom, imagine it with a bit less emphasis in the low end, much cleaner in the mids but with less timbre, more natural vocals, and a wide open space of upper mids and treble stretching out to the horizon. The Zeus is much more transparent and detailed. I really wanted to like ithe Phantom, but for about 95% of what I listen to it didn't please me.

I didn't want to buy a Zeus sight unheard (sorry) and when Jack couldn't make CanJam two years ago because of airline/airport issues, I thought I was done with it. But I kept reading reviews and everything I read convinced me it was the sound signature I wanted. So I bought it. And now I have two of them. Put it this way - if the Phantom and the Legend are too warm for you, the Zeus would probably fit your purposes. It's like swimming in crystal clear water.

Sorry- You order it by asking Devon for it and she'll walk you through the process.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #17,939 of 40,591
Thanks! After I am done with Legend X and Phantom, I will know how they sound and a good idea how Zeus sounds. Strange that the Olympus series is not shown as a third series with the current two if they were technically better for many people.

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #17,940 of 40,591
Thanks! After I am done with Legend X and Phantom, I will know how they sound and a good idea how Zeus sounds. Strange that the Olympus series is not shown as a third series with the current two if they were technically better for many people.

They used to be under “Legacy” but I think now if you just contact them they can still make them for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back