Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 6, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #17,911 of 40,356
Bias upfront: I love seeing the internals of complex technology like this, so I prefer clear stuff--I'm gonna go with clear body + abalone faceplates; not sure on logos yet.

Red and blue is a good idea; I think I'd go with transparent red and blue in line with the above. I'd also suggest--though it costs more--going with fancy red and blue faceplates. Something like these, maybe?

https://imgur.com/a/GDDxJTp

Jun 6, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #17,912 of 40,356
I think Empire Ears may be winning, because JH Audio IEMs are different and I already have JH Audio Angie and want a different sound to complement it. The issue is I am not very creative, so picking a custom design is tough for me. Blue is my favorite color and I thought of doing the right in red and left in blue. I came up with this, but will have both emblems either gold or silver.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated. I believe the actual product color is different from the web design page as I don't know that they are exactly the same, except black. Maybe starry night, but that one would not look good on red in my opinion.

Maybe ask EE themselves to come up with something if you are willing to take the risk?

Jun 6, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #17,913 of 40,356
1F4AB00C-DDA4-4D66-942C-659D1CEDD0FA.png

Thanks @mr.karmalicious!

I had thought about transparent as well. I like the transparent reds better than the opaque red. I had played with these two options too.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #17,914 of 40,356
For testing is it best to listen to one for a couple of days and then switch to the other for a couple of days? I did not get that luxury with another company, because I had borrowed four.

Jun 6, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #17,915 of 40,356
I would say so, yes--I, at least, like to get used to one thing, then switch over to another sound signature and see. I guess I just like to get really familiar with it, otherwise I feel like I won't know it well enough to make a good comparison.

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #17,917 of 40,356
The universals are so small and fit very well that I don’t believe I need a custom version if I order.

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #17,918 of 40,356
I think Empire Ears may be winning, because JH Audio IEMs are different and I already have JH Audio Angie and want a different sound to complement it. The issue is I am not very creative, so picking a custom design is tough for me. Blue is my favorite color and I thought of doing the right in red and left in blue. I came up with this, but will have both emblems either gold or silver.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated. I believe the actual product color is different from the web design page as I don't know that they are exactly the same, except black. Maybe starry night, but that one would not look good on red in my opinion.
You may want to check out Empire Ears on Instagram and/or Facebook, they post pics of many custom IEMs and that may give you a better idea about some of the colors.

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #17,919 of 40,356
You may want to check out Empire Ears on Instagram and/or Facebook, they post pics of many custom IEMs and that may give you a better idea about some of the colors.

I already see them on Facebook. I like the new signature one they created. Universals have better resale value and the looks are not that important to me since they are in a case or my ears.

Jun 8, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #17,920 of 40,356
Also--the universals definitely ain't small!! They're small considering what they have inside, but they're pretty chunky. Fit me pretty okay, but I have big ears!

Jun 8, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #17,921 of 40,356
Also--the universals definitely ain't small!! They're small considering what they have inside, but they're pretty chunky. Fit me pretty okay, but I have big ears!

This is true, but I use a JH Audio Angie II and it dwarfs the Empire Ear Universals, so everything is relative.

Jun 8, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #17,922 of 40,356
Empire Ears universals aren't small, but they do a decent/good job with the overall shape. The Legend X is bulky, but it's not uncomfortable, and I also think they've improved on that end, e.g. when comparing between their older universals/collaborations (Spartan IV, Merlin, Zeus, Arthur) with their newer lineup (Bravado, EVR, Phantom, Legend X).

That said, there's still a huge difference between "universals that fit me pretty well" and "customs specifically made for my ears".

As for JH... I'll just stop there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 8, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #17,923 of 40,356
For those who are thinking about the Massdrop Zeus XlV, mine just arrived and is being burned in. Looks nice, slightly smaller than my XR, the color is nice, the sound (so far) is close to what my XR delivers (in X). The cable, however, had to go. I replaced it within five minutes for an Ares ll balanced, which made a big difference. The stock cable might be nice with a warmer DAP, but hybrids don't work for me with the Zeus/SPKSS combo. For $1K, a very good deal indeed. I'm having my Ares made into an 8-wire with a PSquared plug and I expect very nice things after about 50 hours.

So... you love the Zeus so much you bought it twice?

tenor (69).gif

Jun 8, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #17,924 of 40,356
So... you love the Zeus so much you bought it twice?

Everyone needs a backup in case the unfortunate happens...my backup would not be its twin but I get it. I have some signatures I wouldn't trade.

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #17,925 of 40,356
Everyone needs a backup in case the unfortunate happens...my backup would not be its twin but I get it. I have some signatures I wouldn't trade.

Ohhhh right. "Backup" pair.

tenor (70).gif

I'll use that excuse next time :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back